Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 11-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
Bithlord

Default I don't understand the limited print run...

So, Set 1 (series 1, whatever it's called) is going to be printed at about preorder +20%. Then reprinted in a second, smaller, wave.

That seems ludicrously small, and makes me wonder if this is a game that SJ Games realistically expects stores to have on their shelf. For a limited print run core set, I don't know if I can justify the $160 *minimum* to actually buy into the game. With draft seeming to be a cool why to play, why are we putting a hard limit on reprinting sets at all? I get saying on date X, we won't print anymore. But, even before the set comes out -- if the entire wave sells out then draft becomes impossible.

Then, we've got confirmation of multiple rarities, and it's been really cagey whether the ultra-rares are unique cards, or just alt arts / alternate versions of lower rarity cards.
Bithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: I don't understand the limited print run...

I'm curious where you get the "$160 minimum". It seems like you can get into the game by spending a lot less than that, so I'm assuming you have some kind of personal criteria for what constitutes "actually" buying into the game.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something, because I had gotten the impression that the game was much less expensive than that to get in to.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
Bithlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I'm curious where you get the "$160 minimum". It seems like you can get into the game by spending a lot less than that, so I'm assuming you have some kind of personal criteria for what constitutes "actually" buying into the game.
For sure, I do have a "higher than average" minimum. The $160 number comes from 1 of each starter, and 1 booster box. It's nowhere near enough to ensure that I will have every card, but it would at least be enough to ensure that I have sufficient cards to build a solid deck, if not the top tier deck, of whichever class I get the best cards from in the booster box.

I'm not necessarily looking to have a full playset of every card (although I VASTLY prefer that model of release for this style game), but I want at least a reasonable chance of getting enough cards of a deck type which I hope one booster box is sufficient to achieve.

Edit: It is entirely possible that buying the starter decks may not be required -- I don't think we have confirmation that there will not be heroes in the sets, or confirmation that there will be heroes in the sets.

Last edited by Bithlord; 11-07-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You'll want at least one starter set. There are heroes in the boosters but they are not common; the intent is that you have a starter set.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
HunterS
Marketing Director

We do realistically expect to have this on shelves, and we have to reiterate we have printed more of the Munchkin Collectible Card Game in just this initial printing than almost any game we've ever made. Distributor preorders are high (a great thing), and we're hoping to have product on shelves. Remember, these are distributor preorder numbers, and they preorder for multiple month's supply whenever possible; not just launch. However we still encourage people that want to make sure they get it to preorder with your local game store.

Limiting printing is the model for games like this however. We can't leave a set in print forever, and we have to move on to printing the following sets after that. While the second wave will be smaller, it shouldn't be taken up by as many preorders as the first wave, and should make sure there are packs on shelves.

And to answer the other question, alternate art Hero cards can be found in the boosters, but starters are definitely the easiest way to get a hold of them.
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
Bithlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
We do realistically expect to have this on shelves, and we have to reiterate we have printed more of the Munchkin Collectible Card Game in just this initial printing than almost any game we've ever made. Distributor preorders are high (a great thing), and we're hoping to have product on shelves. Remember, these are distributor preorder numbers, and they preorder for multiple month's supply whenever possible; not just launch. However we still encourage people that want to make sure they get it to preorder with your local game store.

Limiting printing is the model for games like this however. We can't leave a set in print forever, and we have to move on to printing the following sets after that. While the second wave will be smaller, it shouldn't be taken up by as many preorders as the first wave, and should make sure there are packs on shelves.

And to answer the other question, alternate art Hero cards can be found in the boosters, but starters are definitely the easiest way to get a hold of them.
I'm glad to hear that interest is high. And I certainly didn't mean to imply that the production of any given set should *never* be cut off. However, I had hoped that it would be more akin to how magic does it -- production is continued for a set time frame, as demand dictates, rather than being limited to two runs, then full stop.

But, personal distribution preferences aside, the mechanics look pretty interesting, and I can't wait to actually try it out with cards in hand.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
However, I had hoped that it would be more akin to how magic does it -- production is continued for a set time frame, as demand dictates, rather than being limited to two runs, then full stop.
Three runs, not two. There's a third wave at a later date.

" . . . at that time we will offer distributors an opportunity to place a preorder for a third wave which will arrive approximately 90 days later."
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
Alfgard

Hi together,

I heard that Pegasus Games makes a german version. Does the release will happen in the same way?
Alfgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfgard View Post
Hi together,

I heard that Pegasus Games makes a german version. Does the release will happen in the same way?
Details about Pegasus' translation will follow at a later date.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote