Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Zeldisaster

Default Two "owners" both abusing the rule? PLEASE HELP

Ok before I start, I need to point out that I say "owners" because my friend and his brother both "own" the game (his brother bought it as a gift for him but I guess still demands part- or half-ownership, idk).

Every time I used to sit down with them (I have since stopped playing with them for this reason), they would create "table rulings" as they call it for how certain cards work, bending and ignoring rules to their satisfaction, and generally making the game less fun for everyone except themselves. Even after showing them both the rulings in these forums, on the rules page themselves, etc, they both always bring up the "owner having last word" line. They tell me that that single rule LITERALLY overrules all other rules listed in the rules.

They only play by certain rules they like and totally reject rules they don't like. And whenever I point out real rules and why I won't play, they simply tell me to shut up and that I'm "being a baby about it."

How does the community feel about this matter? Has it happened to anyone else? They literally won't listen to a word I have to say... Is the "owner having last word" rule THAT all-powerful? ...was I wrong at all to argue my points?

Last edited by Zeldisaster; 12-09-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Zeldisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Two "owners" both abusing the rule?

I always thought it was clear that the "owner has the last word" clause was supposed to be for cases where the ruling isn't clear. It isn't supposed to give free reign to the owner to tweak any and all rules to his/her liking, no matter how clear they are. ESPECIALLY not on-the-fly as the game is in progress.

That said, the owner of the game is obviously free to set any "house rules" they like up front, before the game starts. But, just as obviously, if they choose to create and insist on "house rules" that nobody but them likes, then they should rapidly run out of players for their games. And if anybody is being a "baby" in that scenario, I'd be inclined to point to the ones that insist on changing the rules of the game to suit their own whims. But perhaps that's just me.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Solelron
Banned

Ed has it dead on
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Speaking officially as the Munchkin Line Editor: your friends are being jerks. They are definitely NOT using that rule as it was intended. Ed's summary is absolutely correct; the "owner has the last word" rule is intended to put an end to otherwise-lengthy arguments, not to stomp all over the other players by abusing and twisting (and ignoring!) the rules of the game.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
AlanS78

Being an evil giraffe, I would buy the game myself, and invite all those who currently play with el jerkos to some "as the rules are written" games, and see what they like better. I hope you stock a lot of drinks and pretzels.
AlanS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Since this forum is about the rules as written, I think further discussion along those lines is unnecessary.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
last word, owner