Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Building a Healing Power that also causes pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
Ah, sorry, I wasn't being clear at first. I do want it to heal enemies it's used on if they are damaged. I put "healing" in quotes when I explained that the most tactical use of it would probably be to target an undamaged enemy, which wouldn't heal them. (As they're already at full HP.)
Yeah, you'd need a linked a affliction then, not a alternate ability.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
sonic232

Then use the ability as you listed it, I'd say. Seems about spot on for that. Nuisance effects are for negative reactions (ability looks gross, smells gross or is offensive in some way), abilities being more obvious than usual or some other annoying effects. Pain hurts. There are in-game rules for pain, which is why you'd use the Affliction (pain) + Healing link like you have it. It costs more points because, as you've pointed out, it still has combat applications despite being linked to Healing.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yeah, you'd need a linked a affliction then, not a alternate ability.
That seems like an odd option. Having an unsplittable Pain + Healing ability (Healing with Linked Affliction) is a bit less useful than having an ability that always causes pain and you can choose if it heals or not, yet the former would cost [43] while the latter would only cost [30]. I think having "Heals Thy Enemies" as a Nuisance Effect on the Alternate Ability is appropriate here.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
That seems like an odd option. Having an unsplittable Pain + Healing ability (Healing with Linked Affliction) is a bit less useful than having an ability that always causes pain and you can choose if it heals or not, yet the former would cost [43] while the latter would only cost [30]. I think having "Heals Thy Enemies" as a Nuisance Effect on the Alternate Ability is appropriate here.
Right, but healing your enemies and then causing them pain they can't resist seems munchkinable.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Right, but healing your enemies and then causing them pain they can't resist seems munchkinable.
Certainly. What I'm saying is you'd build things as in your version, then when the character tried to use his "Healing" on a target the target would get the choice of accepting the healing (and subsequent pain) or resisting the pain (success also negating the healing). Building it as Healing (Nuisance Effect: Target Suffers Moderate Pain) with an Alternate Ability of Affliction (HT, Moderate Pain, Nuisance Effect: Target's HP is Healed) is a good, balanced hack to manage this, with an end cost of either [30] or [29], depending on how much the second Nuisance Effect is worth.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Certainly. What I'm saying is you'd build things as in your version, then when the character tried to use his "Healing" on a target the target would get the choice of accepting the healing (and subsequent pain) or resisting the pain (success also negating the healing). Building it as Healing (Nuisance Effect: Target Suffers Moderate Pain) with an Alternate Ability of Affliction (HT, Moderate Pain, Nuisance Effect: Target's HP is Healed) is a good, balanced hack to manage this, with an end cost of either [30] or [29], depending on how much the second Nuisance Effect is worth.
Apologies. I misread you...that is not a bad idea. In fact, that's a damn good idea. Yeah, I like this. Heal some HP and take the pain or just resist the pain. That's very elegant.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Not

"No pain no gain."
Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
mikeejimbo

Quote:
I think this is the sort of build that best gives me what I'm looking for. Thank you!
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #19
sonic232

Quote:
Neither of those Nuisance Effects are in the RAW. Nuisance Effects are for gross or offensive effects (Reaction Penalty), making it so you cannot hide your effect (Ability Makes You Obvious) or some inconsequential effect that has pretty much nothing to do with the ability (attracts stinging insects would be viable, causes pain, harm or healing would not). RAW says for Nuisance Effect: You cannot take a valuable power as a Nuisance Effect. Pain and Healing are valuable powers.

His original build was just fine.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic232 View Post
His original build was just fine.
His original build cost too much, because it was rather demonstrably less useful than having Healing and Affliction (Pain) that were separate, and yet it cost more. Causing pain when healing someone is a drawback when healing a friendly, an advantage when "healing" a foe. Causing healing is a drawback when using your pain ability on a foe. A character with one or the other (Healing with Causes Pain or Pain with Causes Healing) would be abusive, but a character with both has all his bases covered and wouldn't be abusive (he has paid for Healing with the drawback of causing pain for friendlies, and has paid for Pain with the drawback of causing healing for enemies). As it's really the same power, of course, the GM can allow them to be Alternate Abilities.