Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Projecting Cultures Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
The only thing I have that would work for that is a kind of ancestor veneration->world religion with a canon, syncretic tradition, etc. It's meant to be able to 'withstand' Islam or Christianity.
Maybe their whole system of justice could be hinged on assuming that even the mystic and divine are not miraculous, but all part of natural observable phenomenae, and invest heavily on psitech focused on visiting the "astral" world and communicating with these ancestors.

Maybe they have figured out a way to interact even if rarely using tech with these ancestral spirits and it made a revolution in their society.

Sadly they discover that the realm of science has its own exquisite laws, and the spirits despite claiming that they assist in offering insights, cant teach the secrets that the living are yet to discover thro such vicarious means such as monitored comunication on a plantery scale, its against the rules of the universe.

Specially since its so fun to see how each individual world advances their technology in such unique and exquisite ways ... interferance is certainly for the worse of all. Specially now that they attained a TL high enough for this kind of conversation to be happening.

The spirits would have an endless stream of excuses whenever asked really poignant questions, but would be glad to share all that they can (or sell all that they can, for exquisite prices).

Just a random thought =)
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #12
tantric
Banned

for me, i'd have them use braintapes as their ancestral spirits, and have them be very real. they might even be AI that control the infrastructure of the world, and are fully capable of rewarding and punishing.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
jason taylor

Quote:
The only thing I have that would work for that is a kind of ancestor veneration->world religion with a canon, syncretic tradition, etc. It's meant to be able to 'withstand' Islam or Christianity.
It doesn't have to withstand it. Historically such types of religion tend to simply downgrade and find a niche market.

But that is another alternative.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
jason taylor

Quote:
for me, i'd have them use braintapes as their ancestral spirits, and have them be very real. they might even be AI that control the infrastructure of the world, and are fully capable of rewarding and punishing.
Interestingly I used PerSims for the same purpose. But it was expected to be only a ritual anyway so braintapes were unneeded.

Tags
brainstorm, culture, low-tech, low-tech companion 1