Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
RussellChamp

Default Character builds with innate attacks vs magic (full metal alchemist)

Yesterday a friend and I sat down and attempted to build a few characters from the anime series "Full Metal Alchemist". In that fantasy realm, magic is known as "Alchemy", revolves primarily around "transmutations" (which essentially turn objects into other objects), follows the rule of "Equivalent Exchange" (which states that you can only create objects from existing elements that are available [at the molecular level]), and a rule which states that alchemic "transmutation circles" must be present to perform Alchemy (weather on the ground, worn, or other ways).
More information on this series can be found at the AniDB page and Full Metal Alchemist wiki.
- - -
I decided to try and design a GURPS character for Col. Roy Mustang, the Flame Alchemist. He is a mid-ranking military officer in the Amestris army with intense aspirations to become the president. He is intelligent, very well liked and respected by his subordinates, and loyal to a fault. He is well versed in both politic-ing, military affairs, and tactical subterfuge. While he carries a military sabre with him and has limited firearm training, his primary offensive capabilities stem from his ability to control fire. Most of his attacks are on-target (ie non-projectile) flame attacks with explosive components that range in size from small and contained to room-clearing blasts. He occasionally also switches things up with occasional sustained immolation attacks. He is limited by the normal laws of Alchemy and additionally the need to a spark or starter flame for his attacks. To this end, he wears specially made soft, cloth gloves that can generate sparks when he snaps his fingers and are embroidered with transmutation circles.
Examples of his abilities are in his fight will Ed (warning, terrible music with the video) and his fight with Lust (warning, terrible English voice acting with the video).
- - -
After designing most of the character I'm stuck deciding whether innate attacks or magic attacks would be better for a character like this.
Notes: For the sake of gameplay, magic and Magery would simply be renamed to "Alchemy" and given extra limitations. Additionally, I am a newer player and have been using the basic set book but have access to some of the other supplementary books/pdfs.
So far, I've broken down the pros and cons like so.

Innate attacks:
+ seem more versatile and customizable according to the main book
- based on Dex (default)

Magic (Alchemic) attacks:
+ more in line with the GURPS view on PC supernatural powers
+ makes sense since this is something learned and not born/built with.
+ based on IQ
+ magic is fun!
- not as customizable as innate attacks
(note: Am I just misunderstanding how magic works in GURPS?)

So, would Innate Attacks or Magic/Alchemy be better for a character like this? Also, if I get enough feedback and interest here, I may also post the partial character design spec that I have going.
Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!
-Russell

Last edited by RussellChamp; 05-23-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: formatting
RussellChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Lamech

Default Re: Character builds with innate attacks vs magic (full metal alchemist)

The correct answer in this situation is... BOTH!
For example Roy Mustang probably needs an innate attack when he his throwing fire around; big powerful signature moves should use an innate attack (or the appropriate advantage), not just a few points in the college of fire. But if he is going through a more standard transmutation (say making a pot by drawing out the full circle) he will want the system under magic.

P.S. The GURPS books Magic and Thaumatology, will be very helpful for designing a system of magic that works for like alchemy, and Powers is great for designing the things that are more like signature moves. (Roy and his fire.)
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Character builds with innate attacks vs magic (full metal alchemist)

I would probably do FMA Alchemy as Realm magic (or some combination of Realm and Path). Probably use Threshold too with a Threshold of 0, and make casters use the Sacrifice rules to avoid Calamity.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-23-2011 at 12:56 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
RussellChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
The correct answer in this situation is... BOTH!
P.S. The GURPS books Magic and Thaumatology, will be very helpful for designing a system of magic that works for like alchemy, and Powers is great for designing the things that are more like signature moves. (Roy and his fire.)
Thanks for the advice! I was at a more either/or decision point. Didn't know "both" was even an option! I'll look into those books. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I would probably do FMA Alchemy as Realm magic (or some combination of Realm and Path). Probably use the Threshold too with Threshold of 0, and make casters use the Sacrifice rules to avoid Calamity.
Thanks! You seem to be a more experienced GURPS player where I, on the other hand, am not. Where can I find the appropriate resources/rules for magic types, threshold, and sacrifice?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellChamp View Post
Thanks! You seem to be a more experienced GURPS player where I, on the other hand, am not. Where can I find the appropriate resources/rules for magic types, threshold, and sacrifice?
Thaumatology mostly. There's useful stuff in Fantasy , too. And there's been some supplemental stuff for Thaumatology that's useful.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
RussellChamp

Ok, so I've made a few Innate attacks for Roy to use. However, is there any way that I can somehow integrate these with other forms of Magic? For example, is there any way for Roy to get a bonus in casting these attacks from his two levels in Magery (Flame Alchemy)?
EDIT: For those interested, here is his more complete character sheet. I got him to a nice, round 200CP. I'll most likely create a separate thread looking for feedback (since this one was for asking a specific question)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jc162xde3l...oy_mustang.txt

Last edited by RussellChamp; 05-31-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Ok, so I've made a few Innate attacks for Roy to use. However, is there any way that I can somehow integrate these with other forms of Magic? For example, is there any way for Roy to get a bonus in casting these attacks from his two levels in Magery (Flame Alchemy)?
Magery is a power talent, so put a focus appropriate power modifier on the ability.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
RussellChamp

Quote:
Magery is a power talent, so put a focus appropriate power modifier on the ability.
Wow! That was an insanely fast response! However, I'm still a bit fuzzy. Would I find these modifiers in the normal Advantages Modifier section in Basic Set (I couldn't find them). Thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Wow! That was an insanely fast response! However, I'm still a bit fuzzy. Would I find these modifiers in the normal Advantages Modifier section in Basic Set (I couldn't find them). Thanks.
You can find a skeleton of the Powers system in the Psionics chapter of the Basic Set but Powers greatly expands it.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
RussellChamp

Quote:
You can find a skeleton of the Powers system in the Psionics chapter of the Basic Set but Powers greatly expands it.
No kidding. The Psionics section is so short as to provide almost no help. I was hoping to keep everything in the Basic Set if I could, as well. As it stands, I'm actually fairly happy with the current build. I'm thinking I won't muck it up any more by trying to get too fancy.

Tags
fma, fmab, fullmetal alchemist, innate attack, magic