Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
Ultraviolet

Default [MA] Push and Push Kick differences?

Unless I misread the Push Kick technique from MA, these two attacks do the same 'damage'; Thr x2 (for knockback purposes only). This seems the ok damage, since kicks are straight thrust, right?
Alternatively I misremember the 'ordinary' Push, which should be thr-1, like most punches. Although this isn't a punch, but a two-handed attack, or what? Is there any difference whether you push with one or two hands?

Or should the Push Kick somehow be based on ST+2, like most leg-techniques use +2 ST but -2 DX?

And would a Push get bonus damage from Sumo (only), while a Push Kick from either Brawling or Karate?

Note, there seems to be some slight difference in the two attacks, where a Push Kick aimed at a leg, confers a -2 DX for the foe to keep standing up.

Last question: Has anybody had any luck with a Push in actual play? My ST 12, Sumo at DX+1 guy failed to cause any knockback the times he tried...bad luck perhaps?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Mr Frost

Default Re: [MA] Push and Push Kick differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Unless I misread the Push Kick technique from MA, these two attacks do the same 'damage'; Thr x2 (for knockback purposes only). This seems the ok damage, since kicks are straight thrust, right?
Alternatively I misremember the 'ordinary' Push, which should be thr-1, like most punches. Although this isn't a punch, but a two-handed attack, or what? Is there any difference whether you push with one or two hands?

Or should the Push Kick somehow be based on ST+2, like most leg-techniques use +2 ST but -2 DX?

And would a Push get bonus damage from Sumo (only), while a Push Kick from either Brawling or Karate?

Note, there seems to be some slight difference in the two attacks, where a Push Kick aimed at a leg, confers a -2 DX for the foe to keep standing up.

Last question: Has anybody had any luck with a Push in actual play? My ST 12, Sumo at DX+1 guy failed to cause any knockback the times he tried...bad luck perhaps?
A pushkick doesn't always push the target back very far .
In Muay Thai , it's mostly used to either throw the other guy off His rythm or to get a bit more room between you if He is getting too close {trying to grapple etc} .

It can cause what in G.U.R.P.S. is knockback , but this is either when the opponents' footing is off {caught mid stride at a bad moment} or you have taken a sort of "walk up" {like a run up but only 2 steps :) } .

I remember a combination I used to practise when I taught Muay Thai that was a push kick followed by a sort of very tight yet circular low sissors kick {we rarely bothered naming things , the moves themselves were what mattered} that you would use on very agressive opponents that you could count on to step forward imediately following the pushkick {a predictable opponent is a gift that keeps on giving :) } and thus walk straight into the actually damaging part of the combination .
It worked because a push kick against someone of equal size and strength will quite often be still standing and still in the "same hex" so to speak .

Against a weaker target or if you have significant buildup {extra effort I suppose} it can throw knock them on their arse though .
Get that Sumo to the Jym stat !
Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The significant difference is in how effect is calculated:

A shove (not "push") inflicts thrust/crushing damage, but at -1 per die if you use one hand and not two, doubled to find knockback but inflicting no actual harm. Since you can roll vs. Sumo Wrestling to hit, you may add your bonus from that skill (+1 per die at DX+1, +2 per die at DX+2 or better).

A Push Kick inflicts standard kicking damage, doubled to find knockback but inflicting no actual harm. Kicking damage is normally thrust/crushing. Since it can be based on Brawling or Karate, you may add the relevant damage bonus (+1 per die for Karate at DX or Brawling at DX+2, +2 per die for Karate at DX+1 or better).

So for two people of equal ST and equivalent skill bonuses, a two-handed shove and a Push Kick are equally effective (a one-handed shove is slightly anemic relative to either). The main difference is what skills you're good at.

Push Kick has the side benefit of using the leg's long reach to deliver its force effectively above or below the target's center of mass, giving a DX penalty if the attack causes knockback at all.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Frost View Post
In Muay Thai , it's mostly used to...
In Muay Thai the Push Kick can be used as
1) An attack (normal kick)
2) A defence (would be legs parry in GURPS)
3) A Feint/ Ruse
4) A Push Kick in GURPS terms
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1982 View Post
In Muay Thai the Push Kick can be used as
1) An attack (normal kick)
2) A defence (would be legs parry in GURPS)
3) A Feint/ Ruse
4) A Push Kick in GURPS terms
It is called Front kick.
If you use full extension of body backwards and leg forwards(opening your body as spring) youll get Push kick.

It is very versatile weapon in Muay Thai arsenal.It cant end fights on its own(as Muay Thai side rotation kick;full weight iof body is behind impacting shin in ideal circumstances) but can set-up attacks or enhance defence.

Very best thing about it is that 1st 50-60% of execution is same,regardless intention(push,feint,bash,kick) which gives defender small margin of error while defending.

Edit: It is actually one of easiest kicks to learn how to execute properly,and Imo is most useful for Boxers preparing to go into full contact bouts.

Last edited by Agramer; 08-11-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
LynGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post

Welllll.. the biggest advantage of push kicks is.. IT DOESN'T USE HANDS!! Muwhahaha.. i know so obvious...but nobody has mentioned it yet.

Lets say you are using a LongSpear one handed and a shield, set at reach 3 and some guy steps into reach 1.. you are going to have to step back and reset the reach next turn and he can agian step up and attack you agian NEXT Round. But you can Push kick (which is reach 1, C vs PUSHING which is reach C) and push the guy with out dropping your weapon or anything. I usally "Mighty blows" the pushing for the extra damage.. +4 damage for knockback is handy.

I've used pushkicks twice for use in combat, off of brawling. I once used the above manuever i did a rapid strike and pushkicked to get the guy back off me and made him collide into his buddy and had him fall down, then i smashed him in the face with a Flail.

Second time.. i did a pushkick to shove a guy off a Castle wall.. and watched him break himself on the fall ;-)
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
It cant end fights on its own
It seems you never received one in the face... ;-)
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1982 View Post
It seems you never received one in the face... ;-)
I was Champion of Croatia in Semi contact 17y old,Full Contact-5th in Yugoslavia(Croatia was than part of Yugoslavia) seniors 18y old,Full Contact-2st Croatia 18 Y Old,1st Croatia Muay Tai 20y old....
(before I trained a bit:Budokai,Wrestling,Judo,Tea Kwon Do and Karate)
....so I reckon I delivered a lot of those :)))

I have never seen knock-out from front kick,though it is possible but very,very rare occurrence.
Front kick hits to face(heel to jaw or part of foot below toes to face/nose) is usually just 1st step in some offensive combination.
-hits to tight can be used both as off and def(breaking opps combination or dis balancing him and attacking)
-hits to body are usually defensive in nature(unless targeting liver) or as push,while evaluating opponent.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
LynGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
I was Champion of Croatia in Semi contact 17y old,Full Contact-5th in Yugoslavia(Croatia was than part of Yugoslavia) seniors 18y old,Full Contact-2st Croatia 18 Y Old,1st Croatia Muay Tai 20y old....
(before I trained a bit:Budokai,Wrestling,Judo,Tea Kwon Do and Karate)
....so I reckon I delivered a lot of those :)))

I have never seen knock-out from front kick,though it is possible but very,very rare occurrence.
Front kick hits to face(heel to jaw or part of foot below toes to face/nose) is usually just 1st step in some offensive combination.
-hits to tight can be used both as off and def(breaking opps combination or dis balancing him and attacking)
-hits to body are usually defensive in nature(unless targeting liver) or as push,while evaluating opponent.

Am i the only person that TeepKick the hip?? I find it better for knocking people of balance. Some situations:
- Teep the hip their hips shoot back but the head come forward for a nasty uppercut/overhand type punch
- Teep the hip to turn them sides ways and shoot in for the takedown while they are spinning around.
- Teep the hip to create seperation when space is tight.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynGrey View Post
Welllll.. the biggest advantage of push kicks is.. IT DOESN'T USE HANDS!! Muwhahaha.. i know so obvious...but nobody has mentioned it yet.
Presumably why it appears in Fechtbuchs.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation