Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
Astromancer

Default Re: A character type for a Star Trek game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Moot point, since Astromancer's said he's "out", but:

Not a Secret from Star Fleet Command, but from others, including civilians and fellow crew (though not likely his Captain). The "with access" is an important clause, especially given a "need to know" requirement -- which actually would exclude a lot of ranking officers in SFC.
If someone else in future plays this type of character, this would be good to know. A Eugenic "superman" or woman might do well to pass as someone of mixed alien human heritage. An option that Aidan does not have.

Quote:
There's another reason to get out where no paparazzi has gone before.
I'm certain Spock would find it logical.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Astromancer

For base stats, Would these seem right..

ST 17 (that's about roughly three times human normal, Khan claimed to be five times stronger than Kirk, but I assume Khan was a braggart).

DX 14

IQ 16 (that would make him intellectually formatable)

HT 14

Note: the Gm said my character (because of requiered roles and skills) also has Language Talent and some kind of Math advantage. Do you think Intuitive Mathematician since it's a five point advantage a good (not overboard) advantage.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
adm

I would point out that an actual Eugenics War Superman would have a much greater stigma than Dr Bashir, who's parents had him fixed/tweaked a bit.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I would point out that an actual Eugenics War Superman would have a much greater stigma than Dr Bashir, who's parents had him fixed/tweaked a bit.
OTOH, remember Kirk's reaction when they found Khan: "I must confess, gentlemen, I've always kind of admired this one."

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #15
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
OTOH, remember Kirk's reaction when they found Khan: "I must confess, gentlemen, I've always kind of admired this one."
Yeah, but that was Khan-specific. It was a Romantic sort of idealization, the same way people will sometimes admire ruthless sorts like some of the Caesars, or Alexander the Great, divorced from actual facts.

It's been at least a couple of centuries since the Eugenics Wars by the time of TOS, so there's not likely to be much direct prejudice, that is, based on experience at the time. But the wars left scars, and it's likely that Aiden would actually fit in better on a ship that wasn't mostly staffed by Terrans or Terra-derived colonists.

It's likely that Aiden would face a generalized sort of bad reaction, a -1 on reaction rolls based on knowledge of what he is. He might also get +1 from some females based on his exoticness/'bad seed' ness, though that would certainly not be universal. It might happen often enough, though, to add to his problems with other males.

If trouble does start, he'll have additional problems. Even if John Normal starts the fight with him in the bar, he's got trouble. If John comes out of the fight mangled (which is likely), it'll be a reminder of Aiden's physical superiority. If John gets seriously hurt, Aiden's claim of self-defense may not get the credit it deserves, given knowledge of what he is.

Given all that, Aiden might very well be happier on a ship out of one of the other Federation worlds.

We don't know much about the Eugenics Wars. If there were some 'supermen' who were widely known not to have joined their fellows in their bad behavior, it would help Aiden somewhat.

There are also going to be people who gets the creeps from him, just because he is what is, an irrational reaction. He might encounter that less often in Starfleet than among civilians, but he will encounter it, esp. on Earth.

(He might fit in rather well among Vulcans, actually.)
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:20 AM   #16
Hans Rancke-Madsen

The institutionalised prejudice that Bashir runs into (the Starfleet Regulations) seems to be of the "unfair advantage, not sporting" sort. It's not that he has been tweaked that's the problem, it's that Starfleet doesn't accept tweaked people because they have an unfair advantage. (That's the official story; it probably totally is just plain prejudice).

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #17
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
It's likely that Aiden would face a generalized sort of bad reaction, a -1 on reaction rolls based on knowledge of what he is. He might also get +1 from some females based on his exoticness/'bad seed' ness, though that would certainly not be universal. It might happen often enough, though, to add to his problems with other males.
How would you put that in stats?

Quote:
If trouble does start, he'll have additional problems. Even if John Normal starts the fight with him in the bar, he's got trouble. If John comes out of the fight mangled (which is likely), it'll be a reminder of Aiden's physical superiority. If John gets seriously hurt, Aiden's claim of self-defense may not get the credit it deserves, given knowledge of what he is.
I assume that Aidan would ask for extra training in self-defence tactics that don't break the opponent. Holds and pins for example.

Quote:
We don't know much about the Eugenics Wars. If there were some 'supermen' who were widely known not to have joined their fellows in their bad behavior, it would help Aiden somewhat.

There are also going to be people who gets the creeps from him, just because he is what is, an irrational reaction. He might encounter that less often in Starfleet than among civilians, but he will encounter it, esp. on Earth.

(He might fit in rather well among Vulcans, actually.)
The version of the Eugenics wars we're going with is what one can get from Space Seed. The whole campaign assumes that the Star Trek universe diverges from our world's history in the 19th century (but the divergence only become noticeable after 1970).

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 02-16-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #18
Astromancer

should I have posted this on the GURPS board?

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #19
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Probably, if you're only after specifically GURPS-related information.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
Probably, if you're only after specifically GURPS-related information.
This being an SJGames forum, folks are inclined to think GURPS stats before any other system when dealing with "what would this character have in the way of general traits?".

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote