Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
philosophyguy

Default [Powers] Questions on building powers with skills

I'm trying to understand how to build powers that require a success roll, and I have a few questions. For this example, let's say that I'm building a nature druid (source = nature) whose powers center around animal life (focus = animals). I'll use the -20% power modifier suggested in Powers p. 28 from mundane insulators and countermeasures.

Let's give the druid two abilities: shapeshifting into a mundane wolf and speaking with animals. Our druid is trying to economize on points, so he will require a success roll for each.

As I'm reading Powers, it looks like the limitations apply on a per-ability basis, not a per-power basis. So, the two abilities would be something like:

Shapeshifting (Alternate Form: Wolf) (Nature power modifier, -20%; Requires IQ roll, -10%) [11]
Speak with Animals (Nature power modifier, -20%; Requires IQ roll, -10%) [18]

Is this correct so far?

Now, let's say the GM and player believe that there should be a specific skill for Speak with Animals, rather than a generic IQ roll. According to Powers p. 162, any power-ability skill would be it's own Hard skill. So, Speak with Animals would be an IQ/Hard skill.

Is there a discount for requiring the skill roll, as opposed to just a flat IQ roll? With a hard skill, rolling at default is a -6 (as opposed to no penalty for the flat IQ roll version). To buy the skill up to flat attribute level would be 4 points, so it seems like the Requires Speak with Animals roll version should have a discount above and beyond the -10% for requires IQ roll.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Powers] Questions on building powers with skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy View Post
For this example, let's say that I'm building a nature druid (source = nature) whose powers center around animal life (focus = animals). I'll use the -20% power modifier suggested in Powers p. 28 from mundane insulators and countermeasures.
I assume by "countermeasures" you mean both technological and supernatural countermeasures are available? If that's the case, then yes, -20% would be the appropriate value. I'd note, however, that a druid who's power is impeded by the presence of technology doesn't necessarily have "technological countermeasures". Simply being affected by any technology, regardless of purpose, is already covered by mundane insulators, I'd say. "Technological countermeasures" means that it's possible to build specialized devices that counter the powers. So even in an unstained wilderness, the druid would still be vulnerable to a villain with an anti-druid ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy
Shapeshifting (Alternate Form: Wolf) (Nature power modifier, -20%; Requires IQ roll, -10%) [11]
Speak with Animals (Nature power modifier, -20%; Requires IQ roll, -10%) [18]

Is this correct so far?
Yup, so far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy
Is there a discount for requiring the skill roll, as opposed to just a flat IQ roll? With a hard skill, rolling at default is a -6 (as opposed to no penalty for the flat IQ roll version). To buy the skill up to flat attribute level would be 4 points, so it seems like the Requires Speak with Animals roll version should have a discount above and beyond the -10% for requires IQ roll.
No, requiring a skill instead of a flat attribute roll isn't worth a modifier, as explained by "Skills for Everyone", Powers p. 162. While you do start off at a bit of a penalty compared to the flat attribute, spending points on the skill quickly lets you buy up your target number, cheaper than buying up the flat attribute would. Further, skills are generally not capped the way attributes or other boosts like levels of Talent or the Reliable enhancement are.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, powers, skill cost