Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #81
Nyarli

Default Re: Why doesn't Brawling have a Default?

First of all requred ST in tables meant for shooting, and is function of cartridge power first and foremost (if you want to argue otherwise then i can provide counterexamples to both "lighter guns requires more ST" and "heavier guns requres more ST). Since thr cr fistloads require only ST7 at most i inclined to think that ST 10 is enogh to make full use of any pistol for purposes of pistol-whipping (and I want to point out that there plenty st 10 bulk -3 pistols and even a few st 10 bulk -4). And still, if heavy fistloads (2+ lbs) are so effective, why they are so few examples of them? Note, all fistloads are useful for skilled use with brawling, and not only for default use with DX. Is handgun an ultimate fistload unheard before, or rules treat handguns-as-melee weapons inconsistenly with melee-wapons-as-melee-weapons?
Nyarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #82
Dalillama

Default Re: Why doesn't Brawling have a Default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarli View Post
First of all requred ST in tables meant for shooting, and is function of cartridge power first and foremost (if you want to argue otherwise then i can provide counterexamples to both "lighter guns requires more ST" and "heavier guns requres more ST).
This is true. However, people usually carry around pistols for the primary purpose of shooting things (particularly people), and hitting someone with the gun is a distant second reason; no one goes around with a gun they can't shoot effectively on the off-chance that they might have to hit someone with it instead.

Quote:
Since thr cr fistloads require only ST7 at most i inclined to think that ST 10 is enogh to make full use of any pistol for purposes of pistol-whipping (and I want to point out that there plenty st 10 bulk -3 pistols and even a few st 10 bulk -4).
You're comparing a fistload that does Thr to a heavy pistol that does thr+2. Compare Large Knife (thr imp, Min ST 6) to Thrusting Broadsword (Thr +2 Imp, min ST: 11). A 3-5 pound gun is a different proposition than 10-12 oz of lead shot when it comes to punching with it in your hand. Bulk appears to be a reasonably good proxy for the gun's mass, looking up weights of various guns.

Quote:
And still, if heavy fistloads (2+ lbs) are so effective, why they are so few examples of them?
Because weapon design isn't really aimed at untrained people of average strength.

Quote:
Note, all fistloads are useful for skilled use with brawling, and not only for default use with DX.
Most of the time, when you are using weapons with Brawling, one of two things will be true. Either 1) you need to be able to conveniently conceal the weapons, in which case a 12 oz bag of lead shot is a lot easier to hide than a 3 pound weight of most any sort, or 2) you were unarmed to begin with, and need to improvise something. In the latter case, the realm of 3-5 pound objects that fit readily into a fist is actually pretty limited, and they certainly will be used if they are available; I had my bike lock confiscated as a potential weapon when I visited the courthouse once (the bike was in for repairs). People who are preparing for armed violence and don't need to conceal this fact will usually take things like clubs, that take advantage of the strength they developed while training for said combat. The realm of people who engage in more than one armed conflict without training of some kind is also pretty small. Actually, such people usually bring knives, swords, and assorted pointy things that do a lot more damage, or in more modern setting guns, brought with the intention of shooting people, not hitting them.
Quote:
Is handgun an ultimate fistload unheard before, or rules treat handguns-as-melee weapons inconsistenly with melee-wapons-as-melee-weapons?
As I noted above, while handguns do make quite effective fistloads, they make much, much better shooting irons, and this is the reason people usually carry them.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
evaluate telegraphic, kromm explanation, telegraphic evaluate