Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Shadekeep
 
Shadekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Aerlith
Default TFT Demon Summoning Tool

Coming out of the various threads on demons, there was a general consensus that the Solomonic demons are pretty interesting, and that it would also be cool for GMs to have a way to make their own. So I've bashed together a tool which randomly summons up a demon for you - Shademonicae.

http://www.shadekeep.com/shademonicae/

This generates a Greater or Lesser Demon with a random name, appearance, and set of powers. Each demon will always have their usual TFT Wish powers, but I've added additional powers from the Key of Solomon and my own ideas. The idea is that these extra powers count as a Service from the demon instead of a Wish. If you generate a demon you like, you can inscribe it into the Codex and recall it later again by its name. (Some of the Codex functionality is still in the works.)

Naturally, being random, you'll get some damned silly results. But I tried to make it at least a bit sensible. I'm happy to take suggestions for improvements as well, and plan to keep adding to it for a while. If there's a big overhaul then I may have to wipe the Codex, but I'll let you know before I do so.

Anyway, if you check it out, please share your impressions!

(Note to board administrators: Not sure if this belongs in House Rules or not, so please move it if it's more appropriate there. Thanks!)
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
hcobb
 
hcobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pacheco, California
Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

If you want to make it TFT specific then please add in actual spell or talent names taught.

Also what mischief do they inflict on those who fail to master them?
__________________
-HJC
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Shadekeep
 
Shadekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Aerlith
Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

Most of the powers don't have corresponding spells or talents. They function in the same way as wishes, i.e., via the creative interpretation of the GM. I do plan to add some guidelines when the power list is more complete.

I am also considering adding an "offering"/"restrictions" line, which would indicate what the demon can be offered in order to make them more co-operative, or any restrictions on summoning them. For example,

"This demon can be made more agreeable by an offering of wine" (or gold or sacrifice or whatever else randomises up).

"The demon can only be summoned at night" (day, Moon is full, certain month or day, weather, etc).

I'm less interested in kicking out a programmed demon with very specific parameters for play, and more interested in giving the GM a demonic character that they can roleplay in a hopefully engaging and unique way.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
malchidael
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Near Milwaukee, WI
Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

This....

This is awesome!
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
malchidael
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Near Milwaukee, WI
Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

Going beyond praise; I think that it might be nifty to score some of the abilities with a minimum IQ, so, for example, if one of the demon abilities is "bestow a charmed ring" (which was one of the results I received just now), then the Demon's minimum IQ would be 15 instead of 11, for example.

This gives the wizard a bigger challenge when summoning specific demons - which might be a problem if that isn't noted in the Codex that the wizard has been studying from....
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
Shadekeep
 
Shadekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Aerlith
Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
Going beyond praise; I think that it might be nifty to score some of the abilities with a minimum IQ, so, for example, if one of the demon abilities is "bestow a charmed ring" (which was one of the results I received just now), then the Demon's minimum IQ would be 15 instead of 11, for example.

This gives the wizard a bigger challenge when summoning specific demons - which might be a problem if that isn't noted in the Codex that the wizard has been studying from....
That's a good idea! Might be useful to give the demons an attribute spread, to give them more individuality. It makes sense that such a thing would be reflected in their abilities. Thanks!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

Nice idea if we don't mind the source, but it seems to me that if they have varied descriptions and ability descriptions, they should have varied stats and described abilities as well.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
Shadekeep
 
Shadekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Aerlith
Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Nice idea if we don't mind the source, but it seems to me that if they have varied descriptions and ability descriptions, they should have varied stats and described abilities as well.
Do you mean something further than ST/DX/IQ stats? Let me know if so! And also if there are other sources you'd like to see incorporated beyond the Solomonic ones, I'm happy to give those a look-in. I did add some original-ish powers to the list, and I think there are a lot more that could be added. I just used the Solomonic ones as a starting point. And, to be honest, because they have lovely old-timey demonological phrasing. ^_^
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Do you mean something further than ST/DX/IQ stats? Let me know if so! And also if there are other sources you'd like to see incorporated beyond the Solomonic ones, I'm happy to give those a look-in. I did add some original-ish powers to the list, and I think there are a lot more that could be added. I just used the Solomonic ones as a starting point. And, to be honest, because they have lovely old-timey demonological phrasing. ^_^
Both attribute levels and other abilities, hopefully meaningfully representative of the description but still varied per individual.

Different armor, DX penalties, maybe they don't all teleport limitlessly, different attacks/reach/equipment, spell-like abilities, resistances, difficulty of controlling them or compelling wishes from them, peculiar counter size/shapes or facing variations, etc.

On the source, the thing is it's fine if demons are from that religious tradition, but the TFT ones may be called demons but seem to be some sort of magic creature that doesn't actually say it has any connection at all to an Earth religious tradition. Of course, one could decide they are that, or decide that they use forms from the minds/ancestral-memories of the summoners and so end up appearing in Solomonic styles if the summoners' ancestors are from that tradition, and/or maybe they borrow from other Earth demon traditions, or from non-Earth demon traditions (the Mnoren discovered many worlds).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Shadekeep
 
Shadekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Aerlith
Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Both attribute levels and other abilities, hopefully meaningfully representative of the description but still varied per individual.

Different armor, DX penalties, maybe they don't all teleport limitlessly, different attacks/reach/equipment, spell-like abilities, resistances, difficulty of controlling them or compelling wishes from them, peculiar counter size/shapes or facing variations, etc.
I see. Yes, that's a good notion, to give them even more individual attributes. In a number of mythologies demons are considered "a race where each individual is their own species", meaning that they are highly unique to the point of being almost completely different from each other. No reason they wouldn't have wildly varying attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
On the source, the thing is it's fine if demons are from that religious tradition, but the TFT ones may be called demons but seem to be some sort of magic creature that doesn't actually say it has any connection at all to an Earth religious tradition. Of course, one could decide they are that, or decide that they use forms from the minds/ancestral-memories of the summoners and so end up appearing in Solomonic styles if the summoners' ancestors are from that tradition, and/or maybe they borrow from other Earth demon traditions, or from non-Earth demon traditions (the Mnoren discovered many worlds).
I can certain try to add in more attributes and powers that come from a wider scope. The Solomonic ones gave me a good starting point, because they reflect what some people expected demons to be able to do. But no reason it can't be more far-reaching.

And speaking of the Mnoren, I wonder what their relationship was/is with demons. Did they summon them, employ them, shun them, or are they perhaps even in conflict with them? One could create quite a few scenarios from a campaign set in a world where the Mnoren presence on Cidri in virtually nonexistent due to a millennia-old battle with demonkind, which rages still in the shadows.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.