Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-31-2020, 01:16 AM   #1
ohflux

Default Need help resolving an ending to our game.

Hey everyone, just wanted some input on a strange ending to a game of munchkin that raised a heavy debate among our friend group. I tried to search previous posts, but couldn't quite find a post with a situation similar to ours.

Essentially, the ending came down to two players, Player A and Player B.

Player B's turn is directly after player A, followed by players C, D, and E. Players A and B were both elves and were both level 9, with players D and E also being level 9. Player B decided to look for trouble and played a level 1 monster. Players C, D and E were not able to prevent Player B from defeating the level 1 monster. Player A had a wandering monster card that would prevent Player B from winning. Additionally, Player A did not want Player D to win either, and believed that the game would probably conclude before Player A would get another turn. Player A decided that his best chance of winning would be to add a wandering monster to Player B's combat (which would prevent Player B from succeeding) and then offer to help Player B so that Player A would also win by using his Elf ability. The Game Master argued that Player A would be playing both sides of the combat, and that the move was illegal since it went against the spirit of the game (although we couldn't find any rule that explicitly prevented the move from being performed).

Some players argued that since you could use a wandering monster in your own combat to gain more levels/ treasure (which is also technically playing on both sides of the combat), that Player A's move should be allowed. Personally, I believe that Player A's move was very munchkiny, although I will admit that I am probably biased since I was Player B :)

Can anyone provide some clarification or input on this potential ending? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
ohflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:57 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Need help resolving an ending to our game.

Player A's move was legal.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote