Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
thom

Default Help with pricing new Advantage

OK, so I've decided to allow the Trained by a Master advantage (only at creation), but not Weapon Master. And those with TBAM get the reduced penalties for rapidstrike, parries, are allowed to make multiple blocks, and parries with 2-handed weapons and so on. While I really like the Extra Effort in Combat rules, I don't want to restrict them just to those with TBAM, and I definitely don't want everyone to be able to use them.

Soo...I'm trying to design an advantage for PCs (and NPCs) who don't want to spend for TBAM but who do want to be able to use Extra Effort in combat. The cost should be enough that you have to think about it, but (obviously) not too close to TBAM.

Mercenary/Militia/Warror Trained
10 points? / 5 points?
You have had advanced training in the art of combat. While you are not a master by any means, you have learned various abilities that put you a 'cut above' the average soldier.
With this advantage you can use the Extra Effort in Combat rules. You can also make multiple Blocks, just as if you had the TBAM advantage.

So what do y'all think about the price vs. the benefits? Any improvements would be greatly appreciated!
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Help with pricing new Advantage

10 pts is best, it is just an unusual background thingy so they can use those options. you could even take it a step further and break down TbaM into a lvl'd one so that the first level allows the extra effort, second for the extra blocks, third for rapid strikes, fourth for skills. it doesn't even need to be lvl'd, just broken down so people can take what they want.

TBAM = 30pts

rapid strikes = 7pts

multi block = 7pts

skills = 10pts

extra effort = 7pts

or something along those lines :)
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
aesir23

Techically, this is just an Extra Option Perk. But I can understand why you'd want to charge more for it as an Unusual Background.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
10 pts is best, it is just an unusual background thingy so they can use those options...it doesn't even need to be lvl'd, just broken down so people can take what they want.

multi block = 7pts
:)
Huh! Actually, only the Weapon Master advantage allows a reduction to the penalty for multiple Blocks -not TBAM! What's the reason for that? Did someone (i.e. Kromm) think that adding the multiple block benefits to TBAM would be too much benefit for the 30 points? Or is it a mistake and you can get the reduction in penalty for multiple Blocks if you have TBAM?
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Huh! Actually, only the Weapon Master advantage allows a reduction to the penalty for multiple Blocks -not TBAM! What's the reason for that? Did someone (i.e. Kromm) think that adding the multiple block benefits to TBAM would be too much benefit for the 30 points? Or is it a mistake and you can get the reduction in penalty for multiple Blocks if you have TBAM?
In Gurps a Block is an Active Defense done with a Shield even if many RW martial arts call their defenses 'blocks". In Gurps those are Parries.

TBAM does not cover armed combat skills even if it seems like being Trained By A Master(Swordsman) would be very similar.

Shield and Buckler are not Unarmed Skills. You use Weapon Master instead. The WM text specifically mentions Broadsword and Shield as a possible 25pt combo of mastery in of two "weapons".

You do as you like with your House Rules but once you start changing one thing you may be surpised at how many things you have to change before you are through.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
zoncxs

Quote:
your right, its just weapon master since you need a shield to block! :D

and yeah, it would be better to either make then cost 1 or 2pts per extra option. so some people can do mighty blows while other can do feverish defense because thats the way they trained.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
munin

Quote:
...With this advantage you can use the Extra Effort in Combat rules. You can also make multiple Blocks, just as if you had the TBAM advantage...
Allowing you to use Extra Effort in Combat is definitely just the Extra Option perk -- it's one of the options suggested in the perk's description (GURPS Power-Ups 2: Perks, p. 20).

I find the second sentence confusing though. Is your ability simply allowing multiple blocks (usually a campaign setting, p. MA123), or is it allowing them at a reduced penalty as if you had the Weapon Master advantage. If the former, then this is just a second Extra Option perk. If the latter, then this is Weapon Master (Shield; Limited, Reduce multiple block penalty only, -80%) [4].

So, [2] or [5], depending.

Quote:
... -not TBAM! What's the reason for that? ...
Trained By A Master provides its benefits to both Melee Weapon skills and unarmed combat skills (p. B93). But the Shield skill is neither, so shields only can get benefits from Weapon Master which specifically includes shields in the list of possible weapons it covers.

Last edited by munin; 03-05-2012 at 09:56 PM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Gef

I'm with Munin. Remember that these are style perks; the cost isn't 2, but rather 2 plus the necessary points in combat skills to justify learning them (20 in a style plus 1 for the Style Familiarity, or 40 without a style).

Militia Trained sounds like a "Talent" for the skills the militia teaches, definitely including Shield and Soldier, probably Hiking as well, defined as intensive training in an integrated curriculum rather than natural ability. 5 or 10 sounds right for 1 or 2 levels.

GEF

Last edited by Gef; 03-05-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

I thought Extra Effort in combat was open to anyone willing to pay the FP? Have I overlooked something, or is it just a house rule restricting it to TbaM/WM?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I thought Extra Effort in combat was open to anyone willing to pay the FP? Have I overlooked something, or is it just a house rule restricting it to TbaM/WM?
its an optional rule in MA.