Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
ErhnamDJ

Default [GURPS DF] Welcome to Hell IC - Group #2 -- Verisimilitude ho!

Scurra

As you heft the body onto the table, you see a green spirit exit the corpse, then fall back into it.

The next thing you know, you feel a sharp pain in your side and a warm sticky liquid covering your body. Your eyes close as you fade into sleep, a bright light at the end of a tunnel filling your vision as it fades away.

You wake in a large room. A giant baby a thousand feet tall sits in front of you. It swings its rattle at you. Its eyes glow red. You see horns sprout from its head. "GOOOO GOOOO," it bellows.

You see your hands as you roll away from the giant rattle, which slams into the stone floor, missing you by inches. The ground quakes. You're deafened by the rumble. You roll again as the baby swings. As you do, you see your hands. They are transparent. Yet you still see them. You see more transparent figures surrounding you. You recognize a few of them as dead masters and students from your school. They all stare up at the baby with lifeless eyes, waiting to move from its path should it catch their interest.

"GAAAAAAAA GAAAAAA!" the baby yells and brings down the rattle once more, this time targeting another poor soul. The spirit scrambles to move out of the way, but it's not fast enough. Nothing could dodge that rattle. The spirit is scooped into the rattle. The baby shakes it in the air. You can hear one of your school's founding masters shake inside the rattle. And you can hear him scream.

The baby's eyes focus on you again. It brings the rattle above its head, but--a bright light shines down around you. A heavenly chorus sings. Trumpets blow. A divine voice bellows out for all to hear: "Scurra!" the voice says. It is a deep voice, a gentle voice. "I call you back to the land of the--err... I call you back to the mortal coil! Do you accept this chance at salvation? I warn you: you may get no other! Or do you prefer to spend eternity as this... child's plaything?"

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 08-24-2012 at 12:01 PM.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: [GURPS DF] Welcome to Hell IC - Group #2 -- Verisimilitude ho!

Elmaeth

"No, mother, nothing dangerous at all," you say as you pull back your bowstring. "Target practice against a tree. And it's not the kind that fights back. Now, if you don't mind, I need to concentrate."

In the floating image, she crosses her arms. "Go ahead."

"Thank you," you say and pull the bowstring. You have your eye just about settled on the apple when your mother breaks in again.

"You didn't even notice that I got my hair done!"

Your finger slips with the distraction. The arrow flies forward, hitting the tree at a weird angle. It bounces to the right, hitting another tree, then to the left, hitting a rock, then it flies way down onto the ground right in front of you and bounces up, missing your left ear by about two feet.

You wake inside a dark room. The only light is a flickering green torch thirty feet away. You are hanging by your left wrist against a cold stone wall. You move ever so slightly, trying to gain your bearings, when the chain holding your wrist snaps. You feel the first impact as you fall to your death, but not the second.

You wake again, this time in the elven version of heaven. You're waist-deep in water in an everglade. Your great-great-great-grandmother sits nude on a tree stump playing a harp and singing an old elven song. She looks up at you. "Elmaeth, my child," she says. "We have been waiting for--"

But then your mother breaks in again. "Oh. My. Gods. Did you just die? You did! I can see... that's my uncle Tomoo over there with the flute! You get out of that water right now. You know you get all pruney when you stay in the water. And another thing--"

But then you're interrupted by a white light. Heavenly choir singing. Trumpets blaring. A deep voice starts talking, but you can't make out what it's saying over the sound of your mother.

"Are you being resurrected?" she said. "Don't even think about lying. I can hear the trumpets. You had better come back home to me right now." She starts crying. It's still loud.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
ErhnamDJ

Erion

You wake inside a small room. Both of your hands and feet are bound. No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape.

You hear a thud. And then another. Far away, on the other side of the room, you can barely make out something moving on the floor. It's small. And it's squeaking. You hear another thud. And then another.

Then you feel a rat crawling on your shoulder. You twist and turn, but you can't get it off. You feel it bite into your throat. And then you die.

You find yourself in quiet solitude high up in the mountains. Through the fog you can see the mountaintops. You comfortably settle into a deep meditation (Swap your " Dislikes concentrating for long periods of time" quirk to "Enjoys meditation").

After what seems a thousand years of contemplation, you hear a soft sound--the first you've heard. You look up to see a whispy figure making its way up the mountain. He is draped in simple robes. "Stand, my child," he says to you. "Walk with me. Let us talk."
Old 08-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
ZmbeHntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Erion
After what seems a thousand years of contemplation, you hear a soft sound--the first you've heard. You look up to see a whispy figure making its way up the mountain. He is draped in simple robes. "Stand, my child," he says to you. "Walk with me. Let us talk."
Erion stands up. Just to see if he still can, he attempts to step up a foot into the air.

OOC: Whether he succeeds or not, he will walk with the figure, albeit in the air if he is still able.

To the mysterious figure, he asks, "Who are you? Where am I? Why did I seem so at peace sitting still? I hate sitting still, or I did. I'm confused. What is going on?"
ZmbeHntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmbeHntr View Post
Erion stands up. Just to see if he still can, he attempts to step up a foot into the air.
He can, but the distance seems distorted. It doesn't match up with his understanding of the surroundings. He feels like he's moved much farther than his senses indicate. His foot looks like it's only an inch from the ground, though he feels like he could fall far enough to snap his ankle.

Quote:
To the mysterious figure, he asks, "Who are you? Where am I? Why did I seem so at peace sitting still? I hate sitting still, or I did. I'm confused. What is going on?"
"All your questions shall be answered in time," he says. His words seem to drag, as though time itself moves at a slower pace in this place. He looks at you for a long time, then a small smile forms at the corner of his lips. "Come," he says. "Follow me." His robe billows behind him as he begins to walk down the mountain.

After what feels like a few miles, but seems to be only a few feet, down to where the clouds start and the figure first appeared, he begins speaking. "This is the Great Mountain," he says. "Where those of our kind dwell." He stops and presses his hand to your heart. "And though you have the body of a man, inside you is the spirit of Air." He continues walking. "When our kind leave their mortal bodies behind, it is this world they come to. Not one of the underworlds, as the human's spirits. Our kind only visit those place on rare occasions. And it is one of those places where you were sent while you lived. I do not know how this came to be, but it is so. This presents us with an unusual opportunity. Your spirit may be returned to your body by One more powerful than myself. Such is the rule. Not even the demon lords can overcome this rule. You, Erion, have been given the chance to return to your mortal body, which is currently sitting in one of the human Hells. I have been sent here to guide you back, so that you may partake a special mission for us. You are to return to your body in Hell and help some spirits of Life that have been imprisoned there. Then you are to gather as much information on this Hell as you can. This will be the first knowledge we gain of this place."

He pulls a small pendant from around his neck and holds it out to you. It's tiny, the size of a small coin, and it rests on a chain so thin you can barely see it. "Here," he says. "Take this. It will help open your mind to the dangers ahead."

(Add one point to the Meditation skill. You gain the Pendant of Yesterday's Visions, which gives +4 on Fright Checks and weighs fifty pounds.)

"We have reached the end of my path," the figure says and points to a small pond filled with black water. "If you have any questions for me, you may ask them now. If not, step into this portal. You will know what to do when you arrive at your destination."
Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
ZmbeHntr

Quote:
He pulls a small pendant from around his neck and holds it out to you. It's tiny, the size of a small coin, and it rests on a chain so thin you can barely see it. "Here," he says. "Take this. It will help open your mind to the dangers ahead."

(Add one point to the Meditation skill. You gain the Pendant of Yesterday's Visions, which gives +4 on Fright Checks and weighs fifty pounds.)
Erion takes the pendant and nearly drops it due to its weight. "Is there any way you can make this lighter? I will barely be able to move carrying it."

Quote:
"We have reached the end of my path," the figure says and points to a small pond filled with black water. "If you have any questions for me, you may ask them now. If not, step into this portal. You will know what to do when you arrive at your destination."
"If I die again, will I come back here? How will I know what to do?"
ZmbeHntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Harry O'Gane

Elmaeth watched Erion from far away when he was floating, so he stayed close to Tipsy. However, as he was interrogating it, Elmaeth still thought of the wizard mentioned by the celestial voice in what he thoughts to be Heaven.

He wanted to ask Tipsy something, but at that moment, he went to get Scurra her stuff back. Even in clothes, she looked attractive, at least to Elmaeth, who continued to stare back at the angel.

"Why, I think I know who might find these runes familiar. The shame is, when you need them, they're never here."

He stood silent for a while then, and thought:

"I might have something that could interest the halfling, should he wish to trade. I f booze is on the price here, I might trade some of mine for any kind of map of this area. Hmmm..."

Elmaeth waits for Tipsy to return to the cart. Meanwhile, he looks for the bottle of wine he had in his backpack.

Last edited by Harry O'Gane; 08-30-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Harry O'Gane

Elmaeth's mind is full of anger and utter frustration at the moment. He is in the middle of encountering celestial beings, and clearly this seems like an important event, where one must be concentrated and sane, but hell, the words just outburst right out of him:

"Will all of ya just SHUT it for a moment?! I believe I am dead and a celestial being might be inquiring into my existence on its plane!"

(OOC: Lol. I friggin died of laughter, especially on the "did you just die part. +1 internets for you, good Sir.)
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
"Will all of ya just SHUT it for a moment?! I believe I am dead and a celestial being might be inquiring into my existence on its plane!"
The harp stops playing. Your mother stops crying. The trumpets stop blaring.

The heavenly voice speaks up: "Nope. I don't want to get in the middle of all this. This seems... personal. I can--I can wait."

And then, all at once, the sounds return.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Epic Kobold

Scurra laughs wildly as she's dodging for dear life.

Quote:
A heavenly chorus sings. Trumpets blow. A divine voice bellows out for all to hear: "Scurra!" the voice says. It is a deep voice, a gentle voice. "I call you back to the land of the--err... I call you back to the mortal coil! Do you accept this chance at salvation? I warn you: you may get no other! Or do you prefer to spend eternity as this... child's plaything?"
"...That depends, how's the dental plan?"
she barely dodges another rattle swing. She snickers as she sprints around behind the massive infant to what she assumes is the safest spot in a reachable distance. She looks up at the source of the light
"On second thought, I'm not ready to adopt a kid, besides, anything's got to be better than changing these diapers. Salvate me! I'm yours!"
She throws her arms in the air expectedly.

Tags
welcome to hell