Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #11
philosophyguy

Default Re: Pyramid #3/100: Pyramid Secrets

Very excited to dig into this issue!

On a technical note, there seems to be a problem with the PDF outline. I see a lot of junk in my outline. There's about a dozen lines of OLE_LINK[n]. This is the first Pyramid issue I've seen with this problem.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
wellspring

I've had a dignified man-crush on the Impulse Points system for quite some time now, but Ghostdancer's new article amps the whole thing up to the next level.

It's a great genre tool, a solid way to model systems ported over from other RPGs, a fun system in itself... and also supersedes and encompasses a number of other systems. That last part (the box on page 8) is great because he managed to simplify the game even as he expanded its possibilities.

I was already planning on making heavy use of IPs in my next game. I'll be stripping away many of the options for how you can spend them, but several of the new options in this article will find their way onto the list. Great and for me at least very timely.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy View Post
On a technical note, there seems to be a problem with the PDF outline. I see a lot of junk in my outline. There's about a dozen lines of OLE_LINK[n]. This is the first Pyramid issue I've seen with this problem.
I don't know what you're talking about fnord!

Err... try re-downloading it, please; I think we squished that bug.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
I was already planning on making heavy use of IPs in my next game. I'll be stripping away many of the options for how you can spend them, but several of the new options in this article will find their way onto the list. Great and for me at least very timely.
I am with you and already a fan of Power Ups Impulse buys but the article shined a good light on it and gave some worked examples that were useful as well as adding stuff.
As I said earlier it really is versatile and will be added to one of my magic systems and add a form of Blessed for Clerics and such using the rules as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post

Good to hear, I had the same bug (using Sumtra) but figured a fix would be forthcoming.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
philosophyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post

The newly downloaded version looks fixed. Thanks!
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
dbm

Congrats to the team for hitting a big milestone, 100 quality issues is something to be proud of!
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
PK, on Tithing, I am fuzzy on how it is calculated

Say Cindi the Commerce Cleric finds an edged rapier with MSRP 1k she would like to use, and 50 moneys. She has base wealth

Cindi needs to Tithe to The Almighty Dollah, God of Transactions

What does Cindi owe Dollah? If she owes 105, she can sell her new sword for 400, pay 105 tithe out of her 450 and is a sad cleric. Or does she owe 45 (based on swords trade in value of 400?), or how does it work?
Our intent was that anything she turns into income requires a tithe. So as long as she's just using the edged rapier to fight, it doesn't affect her tithe, but if she sells it or trades it in for $400, she has to tithe $40.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #18
Kalzazz

Thank you! Clarity is now mine
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
  • GURPS Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys introduced new ways to put meta-game power into the players' hands, but there's always room for better Impulse Control. Christopher Rice spins those simple rules into a full system, in which the players and GM can bid points against each other while amassing more via careful roleplaying. It's easy to use, exciting, and even comes with new "impulse buys" to spend those points on.
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Christopher "Ghostdancer" Rice worked tirelessly to address my comments when I saw the potential for his article (which originally diverged a bit from PU5) to become a true expansion for that book. I strongly recommend giving this system a try; he isn't exaggerating when he says it can replace Luck, etc.
Y'all know I'm always happy to put in the extra hours if it's going to make a better product. I don't always see the possibilities inherent in a thing - it's why I rely on others. I'm just glad it turned out as well as it did - and it did turn out pretty well. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

2 articles are likely to be of use to me. The Impulse buy article was a nice expansion. First I was thinking ok, we get a few new examples but we already have this in Power Ups, even if its kind of a sidebar. But nice examples anyway. I even liked the box of alternative names.
However then I got to the example replacements for luck type abilities.The article is really useful and works better as a Narrative or coincidental magic system than my house use of the system from Impulse Buys
I absolutely had a kind of "imposing your will on reality" vibe when I wrote this. As I said in my Designer's Notes the system this is from (my "karma system" from Aeon) is based on earlier work. one of those systems was "Synchronicity" which allowed those trained (i.e., those who had the traits) to use it to alter reality in subtle ways. If you were doing it for such I'd add the Magic modifier, Cosmic (Privileged Attack), and maybe use the rules for Reactive Reality (GURPS Thaumatology, p. 193-194) with each 10 DP equalling one VP or every VP inflicting 10 DP worth of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Impulse Control I'm very happy to see finally in print, and I'll be expanding my group's already-heavy use of IP to include what it offers. As I and one of my players were reading it, we both looked at each other and said the same character's name when looking at the Big Entrance option.
:-) You were pretty instrumental in getting the base system working for Aeon, so if I haven't said it - thank you.

Quote:
I've had a dignified man-crush on the Impulse Points system for quite some time now, but Ghostdancer's new article amps the whole thing up to the next level.
Hehe

Quote:
It's a great genre tool, a solid way to model systems ported over from other RPGs, a fun system in itself... and also supersedes and encompasses a number of other systems. That last part (the box on page 8) is great because he managed to simplify the game even as he expanded its possibilities.
Awesome! That'e the idea. I hope it completely replaces metagame traits for some games. I've always prefered using Player Guidance to the various metagame traits for GURPS and this is a kind of love letter to GURPS Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys for me.

Quote:
Let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
Congrats to the team for hitting a big milestone, 100 quality issues is something to be proud of!
A huge milestone. See y'all at number 200. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #20
Refplace

Discussing Fashion Forward with my GM and he feels more than a +1 is cinematic. Seems like it might be a profitable discussion here so...

I partly agree, though expensive clothing is also about prestige and the right outfit can really increase or lower someones attractiveness level.
So matching to that Attractive +1, Handsome/Beautiful +2, or Handsome/Beautiful with Androgynous or Impressive +3

Those levels and bonuses are not considered Cinematic. So can clothes be that much an upgrade? I currently lean toward yes and not likely to fret about my GMs opinion as I dont see spending *10 for single outfit. A true clotheshorse on the other hand might.
Another thought I had was that higher Status should lower the bonus from a person with lower Status. -1 per difference in level, but not to below 0 and cumulative with normal Status penalties.

Another question not explicitly addressed and I have read it two different ways. The example is a Status 0 outfit and the text references Cost of Living.
So for higher Status and thus higher costs of living does the requirement go up? Or is it against basic standard of living for average wealth? That of course makes it much easier for rich people to look better but that seems reasonable too.

Fashion Sense seems a little underrated here as its basically a +1 craft skill, Sewing or Artist (Fashion) are used examples.
As described in GURPS Basic it is almost like Quick Gadgeteering but just for dressing well and appropriately.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 02-17-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
partial injury expanded, pyramid 3/100