Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Pleh

Default Friendship Potion and the end of combat

Okay, so last night I was playing classic Munchkin with the Unnatural Axe and Clerical Errors expansions.

I was level 9 in combat with a monster (I really can't remember what it was and it isn't very important to the question) and I was winning by a lot. The only thing anyone could do to stop me was to play Friendship Potion on me to remove the monster from combat.

I happened to have a Wandering Monster card and Crabs in my hand, so I tried to play it on myself to continue the combat and win, but my friends said that Friendship Potion ends combat immediately. I disagreed vehemently, arguing that if I had played Friendship Potion on a monster that I was losing to, they would still have 2.6 seconds to wander a monster in. But the entire table was against me, so I let it pass.

Searching the forum and FAQ, it appears that the official standing supports my position that no card immediately ends combat unless it specifically says so. I just looked up the card and I saw nothing on the card that would imply that it has that power. It only says that it removes all monsters from combat and that I am free to loot the room.

It is worth mentioning that their original Munchkin deck is from the 1st edition and doesn't have all the updated rules (their expansions, however, are new). I'm not sure if Friendship Potion was a card which had its rules changed.

So what say you? Did I lose a game I should have won, or were my friends right?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Friendship Potion and the end of combat

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Don't listen to me.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 01-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Friendship Potion is clearly enough worded to imply that combat is over. So, no, in this case, you can not wander in another Monster and fight it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
snarky

I think it's the "and you are free to loot the room" part that you can infer combat is over from, since you cannot loot the room if you are fighting a monster.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Pleh

@Mister Ed: The person who's turn came after mine was also level 9 and won in the next combat because the only thing anyone had to play was my wandered Crabs and my Cotion of Ponfusion. He had a Restraining Order which made any efforts made by myself useless. The Friendship Potion really was the last thing that could stop me.

@Snarky: I guess I just interpreted it as an option to allow the combat to end, not a requirement, like the Friendly card did. I'm not about to argue the point, but I do find this to be one of the harder rulings to make sense of.

Guess I need to remember in the future that if I use Friendship Potion to save myself from taking a heavy loss that I'm not gonna let any of my friends try to wander a monster on me.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
whassumattuh

My friend used a Transferal Potion to fight a monster that I was in combat with. My comrades and I beefed up the monster enough that my friend was forced to use a Friendship Potion on the monster.

Friendship Potion says that a player may Loot the Room after combat has concluded. Can my friend Loot the Room after the combat even though it wasn't his turn? Thanks!
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whassumattuh View Post
My friend used a Transferal Potion to fight a monster that I was in combat with. My comrades and I beefed up the monster enough that my friend was forced to use a Friendship Potion on the monster.

Friendship Potion says that a player may Loot the Room after combat has concluded. Can my friend Loot the Room after the combat even though it wasn't his turn? Thanks!
The player would be referring to the person who's turn it is, not the new combatant. Both cards allow the original player to Loot the Room, so he may do so (once).
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
whassumattuh

Thanks Clipper. I agree with you, but I'd like an official response. Again, so that I can shut my friend up. Haha.
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #9
Bighindu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
Okay, so last night I was playing classic Munchkin with the Unnatural Axe and Clerical Errors expansions.

I was level 9 in combat with a monster (I really can't remember what it was and it isn't very important to the question) and I was winning by a lot. The only thing anyone could do to stop me was to play Friendship Potion on me to remove the monster from combat.

I happened to have a Wandering Monster card and Crabs in my hand, so I tried to play it on myself to continue the combat and win, but my friends said that Friendship Potion ends combat immediately. I disagreed vehemently, arguing that if I had played Friendship Potion on a monster that I was losing to, they would still have 2.6 seconds to wander a monster in. But the entire table was against me, so I let it pass.

Searching the forum and FAQ, it appears that the official standing supports my position that no card immediately ends combat unless it specifically says so. I just looked up the card and I saw nothing on the card that would imply that it has that power. It only says that it removes all monsters from combat and that I am free to loot the room.

It is worth mentioning that their original Munchkin deck is from the 1st edition and doesn't have all the updated rules (their expansions, however, are new). I'm not sure if Friendship Potion was a card which had its rules changed.

So what say you? Did I lose a game I should have won, or were my friends right?
If you use this potion you can go up the amount of levels it says on the card
Bighindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighindu View Post
If you use this potion you can go up the amount of levels it says on the card
No, you absolutely cannot.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote