Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Pyramid 3/03 Fast Zombies a little too fast?

I was looking over some older Pyramid articles when I noticed something. In the article The Day the World Broke by J. Edward Tremlett, the fast zombies have Enhanced Move 2. 2!

A typical "fast zombie" has about Move 7-8, enough to overtake all but unencumbered runners and joggers. But Enhanced Move 2? That's Move 20 at minimum for an "average" zombie--a speed high enough to catch up to any human alive, plus low-tech vehicles available in the setting, such as wagons and coaches! Is this too fast?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Pyramid 3/03 Fast Zombies a little too fast?

Well, Enhanced Move officially only kicks in on straight lines after a second of acceleration. Bobbing and weaving would, according to R.A.W., keep them from using it.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:14 AM   #3
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Well, Enhanced Move officially only kicks in on straight lines after a second of acceleration. Bobbing and weaving would, according to R.A.W., keep them from using it.
Plus it doesn't affect other modes of locomotion, so perhaps a good set of swim fins could let you survive!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
I was looking over some older Pyramid articles when I noticed something. In the article The Day the World Broke by J. Edward Tremlett, the fast zombies have Enhanced Move 2. 2!

A typical "fast zombie" has about Move 7-8, enough to overtake all but unencumbered runners and joggers. But Enhanced Move 2? That's Move 20 at minimum for an "average" zombie--a speed high enough to catch up to any human alive, plus low-tech vehicles available in the setting, such as wagons and coaches! Is this too fast?
Those zombies are bad ass, to say the least.

Your game, your rules, of course. I'd say scale it back if it's too dangerous/deadly for your campaign, or give them the option of surging at that speed for brief periods, when you need them to swarm all over NPCs to scare your players silly.
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett View Post
Those zombies are bad ass, to say the least.

Your game, your rules, of course. I'd say scale it back if it's too dangerous/deadly for your campaign, or give them the option of surging at that speed for brief periods, when you need them to swarm all over NPCs to scare your players silly.
Woah! I didn't think you'd be here! O:

And surging at-speed could make sense, and add a bit of a tactical decision for players. Shooting to drop a zombie would become more common, since zombies--even at this speed--would have some difficulty running over other zom-bodies.

Now that I think of it, their high speed would be their downfall if you had a TL2-3 line of stakes set up--provided they can't jump over it. o-o
Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Have any guidelines been published on how to deal with penalizing characters who have to crawl over bodies?
A body on the ground (per B387) constitutes an obstruction which interferes with movement. Lots of them, by the same page, can make a space impassible, though that seems like overstating it to me.

If you're Crawling, the additional slowdown for an obstruction may not matter - they combine additively, not multiplicatively.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:

Maybe it was supposed to just be +2 move?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Woah! I didn't think you'd be here! O:
"Speak of the Devil and he doth appear" ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Maybe it was supposed to just be +2 move?
I just checked my original manuscript. It was Enhanced Move 2.

I guess I had the idea of people cowering in encampments, terrified to go outside the high walls for fear of being torn asunder by waves of fast-moving zombies. Too many watchings of 28 Months later, maybe ;)
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Reminds me of the zombies in "Wolfenstein The Old Blood". They come at you like typical slow shamblers, but randomly have bursts of tremendous speed. You'll be casually picking off a pack of them at medium range and then suddenly one of them comes right at you at incredible speed right while you are reloading!
Old 09-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Have any guidelines been published on how to deal with penalizing characters who have to crawl over bodies?
That would use the normal rules for bad footing (p. B387), usually adding +1 movement point per hex (or halving Move if using basic combat), in addition to the usual -2 to DX/skills and -1 to defenses.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhanced move, pyramid, pyramid 3/3, zombie