Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
pnewman

Default She Drives Like Crazy!

A character who does this has what disadvantage or disadvantages?

A quirk?

Compulsive Behavior - Drive Like Crazy

Overconfidence (only when driving -??%)

On the Edge (only when driving -??%)

Delusion - I'm so good a driver that this is fine

Odious Personal Habit - Drives Like Crazy

Does the right disadvantage depend on how good of a driver she actually is?
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
OldSam

Default Re: She Drives Like Crazy!

I'd say it depends: <Why> does she drive like crazy?

If she likes the danger, the thrill of it... go with On the Edge (only when driving, -30%) or something like that.

If she's impatient and always wants to get somewhere asap although it's dangerous, I'd take Compulsive Behaviour...

...etc. ;)

Last edited by OldSam; 04-02-2011 at 04:52 AM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
Omegastick

It depends how crazy she drives and how good a driver she is. If she is an average driver and is simply too generous with the throttle and turns more sharply than most then it would be a quirk. If she's a bad driver but thinks that she's good then it's a delusion. Finally, if she's a good driver but takes a lot of risks then I'd go for Overconfidence (Only when driving -50%).
Old 04-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewman View Post
Compulsive Behavior - Drive Like Crazy
Maybe. I'd use this for somebody who will actually seek out opportunities to drive like crazy, even if they don't need to travel anywhere.

Quote:
Overconfidence (only when driving -??%)

On the Edge (only when driving -??%)
Disadvantages that only apply in a specific, avoidable circumstance are Personality Change Quirks worth [-1].

Quote:
Delusion - I'm so good a driver that this is fine
I suspect that this is more common. Value depends on reaction penalties, which vary by how far off from reality she is, from [-1] if she actually is a world-class stunt driver ("That was really unnecessary, but kinda cool and no harm done.") to [-15] if she's blind ("Ahhh! Run for your lives!") or something.

Quote:
Odious Personal Habit - Drives Like Crazy
Not inappropriate, but better modeled otherwise in most cases IMHO. I'd leave this for very specific behaviors unless there is really no other effect or motive on her part besides making people angry. People who drive passive-aggressively, refuse to use their turn signal ("I'm the center of the whole freakin' universe, so of course you're watching my every move and not your own driving!"), or who take risks to be ahead of other cars even if there's a stoplight are a couple of my worst pet peeves.

Quote:
Does the right disadvantage depend on how good of a driver she actually is?
Depends. For Delusion and Overconfidence, I'd say definitely yes.
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Additional Thoughts:

IMHO a lot of very bad driving is also caused by the following:

Impulsiveness: This is a big one. Impulsive people hate waiting, and in any kind of traffic that's what you've got to do. They are especially good at cutting the yellow light too close and nearly getting t-boned, but just create a mess of things in general by flitting back and forth between lanes whenever one seems faster for a second and similar nonsense.

Selfishness: Always fun as a situational quirk, but IMHO fairly common in its full-blown form among the general population, and likely to influence performance on the road. If you have it in the mild form (like me), then you probably generate -1 reactions from uninvolved onlookers by screaming out the window and flipping people off a lot, which is also mildly distracting not only to the Selfish driver but also to the drivers around them. If you totally lose it in the face of real or imagined personal slights enough for a -4 reaction penalty, and are operating a 3000# weapon, a very alarming road rage incident is probably in your near future. Combo with a Mild Bloodlust quirk for somebody who would actually ram another vehicle, but it can easily lead to a collision without that (If you cut somebody off too close at high speed because you thought they cut you off, and then they slam into you, for example).
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
PK

For realistically bad drivers, I've often used the following quirk:

Crazy Driver: You aren't necessarily a bad driver, you just like to take risks! If you'd normally receive a TDM of +1 to +4, you receive no TDM. If you'd normally receive one of +5 or more, reduce it by 4. In addition, anyone who's ever been your passenger reacts to you at -2 in situations where your driving ability is a key factor.

This can be adapted to other skills, of course. I find it's a fair effect next to Incompetence, because while that quirk gives -4 to all uses of the skill, the character can compensate for it with a large TDM, bonus from taking extra time, etc. This is obviously less of a drawback, but it includes a small, specific reaction penalty as well.

(And combining Incompetence and Crazy Driver is tons of fun . . .)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
sgtcallistan

If we take say, Lady Penelope's terrible driving, I think Incompetence ( Drive Car) (or the US equivalent) to be the simplest way to cover it.

Perhaps a little inability to sense danger on the part of the person at the wheel, as well. ;)
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
For realistically bad drivers, I've often used the following quirk:

Crazy Driver: You aren't necessarily a bad driver, you just like to take risks! If you'd normally receive a TDM of +1 to +4, you receive no TDM. If you'd normally receive one of +5 or more, reduce it by 4. In addition, anyone who's ever been your passenger reacts to you at -2 in situations where your driving ability is a key factor.

This can be adapted to other skills, of course. I find it's a fair effect next to Incompetence, because while that quirk gives -4 to all uses of the skill, the character can compensate for it with a large TDM, bonus from taking extra time, etc. This is obviously less of a drawback, but it includes a small, specific reaction penalty as well.

(And combining Incompetence and Crazy Driver is tons of fun . . .)
i am pretty sure I have this for singing, unless it's Meatloaf.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos
i am pretty sure I have this for singing, unless it's Meatloaf.
Couldn't it be both?

We haven't had that for supper for a long while :/
"That's still Meatloaf."
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Fwibos

Lol. No, I have actually been paid (large sums) for dressing like Meatloaf and Singing his songs. I do pretty well. of course, it could be Performance - But that's another thread. *

*I also just spent CPs on a skill. I am not as bad at it as I once was, and.. I might actually somehow be a pro at it. Woot.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crazy, disadvantages, driving, limitations, modifiers