Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
DSumner

Default Re: Japanese Oni's

Since I've got some extra loot, I'm considering contacting Winchell Chung, and inquiring if he's willing to do some commission work. I'd like for him to do sketches of both Nihon Oni, and the Israeli Golem.
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
clansittingducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
Since I've got some extra loot, I'm considering contacting Winchell Chung, and inquiring if he's willing to do some commission work. I'd like for him to do sketches of both Nihon Oni, and the Israeli Golem.
Very cool, definatly would be worth checking out. Been pondering contacting a few artist buddies of mine about doing some ogre related artwork
clansittingducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #13
DSumner

Unfortunately, Mr. Chung says that at this time his scedule doesn't allow him the time to do commissions, but he did ask what I was looking for. So hopefully at some point in the future he'll be able to squeeze in some new Ogre material, into his workload.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
Old 03-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
MaDaRe

When I've played around with the Nihon Ogres I've found that the increased secondary range IS an advantage against conventional units but that both the Nihon Ogres are at a disadvantage in Ogre vs. Ogre combat. The reason is the low number of missile racks on the Nihon units. The missile racks are a prime target and are one of the first things to go.

That would be fine except that GURPS ogre states that the Steel Oni proved slightly better than the Ogre Mk-IIIB (which it was based on) when the two met in battle.

Of course the winner of an Ogre vs. Ogre battle is usually the first one to get off a shot and the same holds true when the Oni and the IIIB meet, but if the IIIB gets off the first shot the IIIB wins big, and usually has enough systems left to still do some further fighting. If the Oni gets off the first shot its still going to be a tough battle and the Oni will be fairly wrecked by the end of it. The reason? because the IIIB has individual missiles to target the Oni cant knock out enough of the missiles (and other systems) to prevent a powerful return volley, and you can be sure the IIIB's return fire will target that one missile rack!

Since it seems like the idea was to give the Nihon Ogres the equivalent number of missiles as their Combine counterparts. A solution that I've played around with is to postulate a Nihon missile rack that fires two shot "clips" of ogre missiles. So the Steel Oni would have two missile racks with two missiles apiece and the Steel Samurai would have three missile racks with two missiles apiece. That way the Nihon ogres get a bit more crunch power and hey... it might even make sense logistically, halving the missile reload time of the Combine Mk-IIIB and Mk-V.
MaDaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 AM   #15
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDaRe
When I've played around with the Nihon Ogres I've found that the increased secondary range IS an advantage against conventional units but that both the Nihon Ogres are at a disadvantage in Ogre vs. Ogre combat.
What Ogres have you tested them against?

Quote:
That would be fine except that GURPS ogre states that the Steel Oni proved slightly better than the Ogre Mk-IIIB (which it was based on) when the two met in battle.
Lets just say I take everything from GURPS Ogre with a grain of salt, as a lot of it just doesn't seem to fit in with previously published Ogre/GEV material.

Quote:
Since it seems like the idea was to give the Nihon Ogres the equivalent number of missiles as their Combine counterparts. A solution that I've played around with is to postulate a Nihon missile rack that fires two shot "clips" of ogre missiles. So the Steel Oni would have two missile racks with two missiles apiece and the Steel Samurai would have three missile racks with two missiles apiece. That way the Nihon ogres get a bit more crunch power and hey... it might even make sense logistically, halving the missile reload time of the Combine Mk-IIIB and Mk-V.
I'm all for tinkering with the published designs, as long as it keeps the game balanced. I played around with giving the Nihon "Extended Range Ogre Missiles" at one point. I posted the stats for the missiles, and the reason behind their development, in one of the threads floating around here. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #16
MaDaRe

I've only played the Nihon Ogres against their combine opposites. The Mk-IIIB and the Mk-V respectively. It seemed like it would be a fair test of their capabilities. I haven't played them up against any other ogres.

I have played a few times with a mix of ogre and conventional forces (using standard conventional units for the Nihon I never tried to come up with new types of units for them), and there was no clear result in those games that proved one ogre superior to the other, too many variables.

GURPS Ogre does seem to stretch the Ogre-verse a bit, but it is published Ogre material and I was trying to make it all "fit". Since I live in California the Nihon invasion would be a fun little campaign to contemplate and I was working up to running one. Never got around to it though.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #17
DSumner

Quote:
I've only played the Nihon Ogres against their combine opposites. The Mk-IIIB and the Mk-V respectively. It seemed like it would be a fair test of their capabilities.
Sounds like a reasonable way to gauge their capabilities. Anything other than the what you already mentioned, about the missile racks, stand out?

Quote:
I have played a few times with a mix of ogre and conventional forces (using standard conventional units for the Nihon I never tried to come up with new types of units for them), and there was no clear result in those games that proved one ogre superior to the other, too many variables.
How much of a difference did the extra range of their SB make? Did it give them to much of an advantage over standard Combine units?

Quote:
GURPS Ogre does seem to stretch the Ogre-verse a bit, but it is published Ogre material and I was trying to make it all "fit".
I'm all for someone taking the material presented and GURPS Ogre and reformatting it to be a better fit with previously published material. I might ask SJ for permission to take a crack at it one day, just to see what I could come up with.

Quote:
Since I live in California the Nihon invasion would be a fun little campaign to contemplate and I was working up to running one. Never got around to it though.
I find the idea of Nihon Cyberships cruising through SF Bay, while Oni prowl the Hollywood hills, something I'd like to play out one day.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
FireHorse

Quote:
I find the idea of Nihon Cyberships cruising through SF Bay, while Oni prowl the Hollywood hills, something I'd like to play out one day.
San Francisco Bay, eh? Hmmm… up through Oakland, clashing into the Combine Quick-Reaction Force, and then — a massive battle between Nihon and Combine forces, with at least six Ogres on each side, raging right through the middle of Berkeley.

Yes, that sounds quite entertaining; and I wouldn't even care who won, as long as both sides did as much collateral damage as possible. ;)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
MaDaRe

Quote:
How much of a difference did the extra range of their SB make? Did it give them to much of an advantage over standard Combine units?
It is an advantage, and against conventional units a pretty big one. Especially since the Nihon Ogres want to keep the range open initially in order to get off their missiles (at least the way we played them). They do chew through combine units pretty happily. On the other side of the coin it does change the priority of targets for the combine player. Since the secondaries have the same range as the main batteries but are more vulnerable, taking them out is an easier way of reducing the Oni's firepower than going for the well protected mains.

In Ogre vs. Ogre combat we really didn't think the extra range made much of a difference. Once two ogres get that close its pretty impossible to keep the range open.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #20
aylwin13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse
San Francisco Bay, eh? Hmmm… up through Oakland, clashing into the Combine Quick-Reaction Force, and then — a massive battle between Nihon and Combine forces, with at least six Ogres on each side, raging right through the middle of Berkeley.

Yes, that sounds quite entertaining; and I wouldn't even care who won, as long as both sides did as much collateral damage as possible. ;)
Someone's even done a Deluxe OGRE-scale map of the area already.
aylwin13 is offline   Reply With Quote