Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
emigio

Default How can I do where Cheat cards work?

Can i use the elf-help book with a cheat card if i am an elf? Only for that combat. In general can i use one shot items with restictions with cheat for one combat? (Implyimg that after the combact i discard them)
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: How can I do where Cheat cards work?

Moved to a new group. Please do not release to comments to years old replays unless your question is a short and exactly related comment. This is not.

Answer will be come later, probably next week, and it will help if you elaborate on that vague second question in the meantime. Thanks.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
emigio

re-elaborating the question:

looking in my collection I found these one-shot/usable once only items which have some kind of restriction:

- cold virus (apocalypse)
- holystone (booty)
- american pie (impossible)
- pink stamps (star)
- steamjunk (big)(steampunk)
- monster eyeball (the red dragon inn)
- elf-help book (promo)
- good guy muchine (axe cop)

My question is: can i use a cheat! card for a single combat (then i would discard the one shot item and the cheat card) associated to an one-shot which have some kind of restriction?

second new question: (in case of truthfulness of the first question), can i use the cheat! only on one-shot item on the table or also on my hand is fine?

PS: the list is probably not complete, sadly i don't own all the SJ munchkin expansions. I don't consider USAopoly or other third company munchkin for this question

Last edited by emigio; 05-31-2022 at 09:20 AM.
emigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emigio View Post
My question is: can i use a cheat! card for a single combat (then i would discard the one shot item and the cheat card) associated to an one-shot which have some kind of restriction?

second new question: (in case of truthfulness of the first question), can i use the cheat! only on one-shot item on the table or also on my hand is fine?
The expansion was extremely helpful and would have given me a wrong answer the first time, so thank you quite a lot for this.

Cheat! can be played on any Item card, including One-Shots. Since you can play a One-Shot from your table or hand, you could play a Cheat! with that card in your hand at the same time and it would be OK. And you are correct that at the end of the fight, you'd lose the Cheat! as well. I hope that's helpful.

There are a couple of things I want to mention that might confuse other people who have seen Cheat! cards of various types that don't address your call specifically, though, as Cheat! cards of other types can get complex.

(1) Cards of similar types from various sets (Munchkin 7 and Munchkin Cheats are the ones with the most different types) may have rules of different types. For instance, Cheat With Both Hands allows you to have two cards with Cheat attached, but you cannot add more if you discard one of the ones you have. You can still use CWBH with a One-Shot, but you can't play a replacement once you use it and if you use two, you must discard CWBH as well.

(2) Some games give even the "regular" Cheat! card different rules -- for instance, Super Munchkin lets the Super Cheat! use it on an extra Power, which is usually not allowed. Using a Cheat! with a Hireling, even one with out a Gold Piece value, is another one that has been allowed in some sets and expansions. Make sure (everyone) to check the Cheat! rules you're playing with in case there are similar changes in games.

(3) The owner is a last resort to end an argument and start the game playing again when it has gone on too long or gotten too hot in the room. The owner is not a dictator; don't let them act like one. (This has nothing to do with anything here but I've seen it in a couple of emails lately and I really want that "owner always wins" to stop. In fact, if you know someone who does that, stop inviting that person to your games. It's that offensive to the other players.)

Old 12-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
m2pt5

Does this ruling overturn this one then?
m2pt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2pt5 View Post
Does this ruling overturn this one then?
Yes, it does, if the One-Shots are Items.