Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
zot

Default Saving rolls for continuing spells?

TFT doesn't have active defense so not allowing a saving roll for Drop Weapon, Trip, and Break Weapon seems reasonable (after all, there's no saving roll for damage).

Some continuing spells, however, seem quite overpowered. You can use Avert, Sleep, and Freeze to eliminate people from a combat and, for Sleep and Freeze, render them completely defenseless. It seems to me that a victim should at least get a saving throw the second time such a spell is renewed (and maybe every time after that). Second time instead of first time because Sleep should at least make someone sleep for a whole turn (otherwise you play whack-a-mole like in Skarg's favorite Trip-stand up-trip-stand up example).

Avert can prevent someone from casting spells, from using a missile weapon and, potentially, from making melee attacks (depending on positioning). Also, it's nasty to cast it on someone engaged, and particularly nasty to cast it on someone engaged in HTH, since HTH disengagement requires a 4/DX roll.

Of course, allowing saving rolls might warrant a ST cost decrease...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: Saving rolls for continuing spells?

I think the mechanism is the way it is because the spell-caster has to roll for success in order to cast the spell -- that seems to eliminate the need for a saving roll.

So, no, I don't think we need a saving roll.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Skarg

I like the idea...

But it seems to me that the only spells that do something negative to someone and are maintainable are Avert, MH Avert, Control Animal, and Control Person.

On the other hand, (at least as a variant version of the spell that might be the only versions wizards in my campaigns might know) I would tend to prefer a hard saving throw in addition to the sudden very-high limits on ST level that certain spells work on or not (Sleep, Freeze, Drop Weapon, Trip).

Last edited by Skarg; 07-20-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
JLV

And if memory serves, you get a "saving roll" anyway against Control Person...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
And if memory serves, you get a "saving roll" anyway against Control Person...
Yes, 3/IQ.

For spells denied by ST 20 or ST 30, I'd have my versions also denied by that, or by a similar ST roll: 5/ST for a ST 20 spell, 8/ST for ST 30 spell.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote