Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Nymdok

Default [Magic] Probational/Simple Missle Spells

In another thread the idea of a Fireball spell with a different pre-requisite requirement came up and I thought Id write one. However, as Im horribly bad at Spell Balance, I was hoping yall would take a look at it.
Probational Fireball:
Missile

It simply wont do to have junior mages, especially gifted and mischevious ones, casting and growing 9d fireballs and them hucking them, often unskillfully, about the campus. Probational Fireball was invented for this purpose. This spell, unlike most missle spells, is limited to 2D missiles REGARDLESS of Magery level and cannot be 'Grown' in the style of traditional missile spells. Also, once again with safety in mind, it has a much reduced range of 20 yds with the offset that it has no 1/2 D range.
Cost: 2
Time to Cast: 1 Second
Pre-Requisite: Magery 1
The intent is to give Wizards built 'on the cheap' an offensive option that is consistent with the other spells in Magic.

Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 03-01-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: [Magic] Probational/Simple Missle Spells

Looks alright to me. I'd probably name it Fire Dart or something similar.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Looks alright to me. I'd probably name it Fire Dart or something similar.
Lupo Did a Firedart earlier taht could be cast and thrown in the same second for 1pt of Damage (if memory serves) and I didnt want them to be confused.

I still dont love the name.

I considered :
Remedial Fireball - For those struggling wiht learnign Fireball, get the basic forms of ignition and a feel for range can be useful interim goals.
Fischer-Price Fireball - For those with a gifted toddler or child, just teaching them to control themselves is often a chore much less teaching them how big is too big for a fireball.
Junior Fireball
Students Fireball
Frat Boy Fireball -
Didnt pay attention in class? Never really felt like practicing? Never thought you were going to use the WHOLE Fireball spell in real life? Here's an easy one that will help in a fight and increase your pull. Chicks dig fire and its a real eye catcher at parties!

I settled on Probational as it sounded like the sort of thing they would teach and, once you got the hang of that one, they might let you have somehting a little beefier and growable.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

A 1-point Spark would be a good choice for limiting damage from unskilled apprentices. Just have some sort of ritual spell on the college itself to give the building itself 1 DR vs burn, and you won't have random fires caused by idiots.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

A spell I've seen used in D&D is Smokeball, which has identical range, area and so on, but does no damage. Its cloud of smoke marks everyone who was in it. An empire that was organised about magic had it researched for training troops and battle magicians.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
spells