Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2024, 07:57 AM   #1
King Leonidas

Default Optimising My character

Greetings I'm fairly new in the sense to gurps I've had some couple sessions and some sessions ago my GM took of the training wheels and i luckily survived getting stabbed in the eye. Any tips and skills and stuff to survive would be appreciated ill link my GCS sheet here https://drive.google.com/file/d/18yc...ew?usp=sharing

Campaign Setting is Neanderthal Paleolithic with Cro magnon humans invading.
Heroic Realism id say in the end. Leaning Towards the more realism side.

Our Party composition is me the Big Melee guy another semi melee and spear thrower, and a slinger. and a Inventer/Medic he has the one cinematic trait that we allowed for fun and that was gadgeteer.

So the end question is what skills should i take? i'm planning to make a big quarterstaff that the cro magnon humans can't normally block unless they got 13 strength
King Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:01 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Optimising My character

I'd lower strength a point or two and put the points in HT. High HT will make wonders for your survivability.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:07 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I'd lower strength a point or two and put the points in HT. High HT will make wonders for your survivability.
Neanderthals really ought to be stronger than anatomically modern humans, though. And if this is the Big Guy he ought to be stronger than that. I agree about HT being very helpful, but I'd look for the points somewhere else.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:28 AM   #4
King Leonidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Neanderthals really ought to be stronger than anatomically modern humans, though. And if this is the Big Guy he ought to be stronger than that. I agree about HT being very helpful, but I'd look for the points somewhere else.
base strength of neanderthals in our game is 13
King Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:43 AM   #5
Donny Brook

I would give it a look for you, but I don't have the app.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:19 AM   #6
Culture20

King Leonidas, you should be able to export your GCS character as a PDF for more general access.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:49 PM   #7
Dalin

I agree that raising HT is a good move. Lowering ST by one point to ST 19 will retain the extra dice that you've got on your attacks, but will free up enough for +1 HT. With Fit you'll be rolling against HT 12.

You can add three more quirks, giving you three more points to spend on other things. Adding the Spear Thrower skill would make the Woomera more practical, though with range penalties you may still have a hard time hitting things without aiming. It would be truly amazing against a big target where SM bonuses would help. Bringing down a mammoth would be an awesome feat.

I might lower speed by .25 to 5.00. Since you're maxed out on disads, you could drop one of your 5-point disads in exchange.

Looks like wrestling has 3 points invested. Should bump that to 4 or lower it to 2 and spend the point elsewhere.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:44 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post

I might lower speed by .25 to 5.00. Since you're maxed out on disads, you could drop one of your 5-point disads in exchange.

I can't open the file either but it sounds like he only has HT11. +1 HT would certainly help but if he comes up with 5 pts then get Rapid Healing. Lack of that would be why he lost that eye.

I like my strong characters as much as anybody but when I helped Nyx the Barbarian's player I recommended ST 17, HP 20, HT 14 with Very Fit and Very Rapid Healing.

King Leonidas probably understands now about "Make this HT roll or lose a body part" but I'm not sure I'd have designed a scrawny Mage with just HT 11.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:30 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I can't open the file either but it sounds like he only has HT11. +1 HT would certainly help but if he comes up with 5 pts then get Rapid Healing. Lack of that would be why he lost that eye.
The difference between "crippled" and "destroyed" is pretty small for an eye - damage in excess of HP/10 cripples it (with an HT roll to determine how long it's crippled), and double that threshold destroys it (no HT roll involved, it's simply permanently crippled). Those are 1 and 2 damage, respectively, for a character with HP 9 or lower, 2 and 4 for one with HP 10-19 (which I think OP mentioned in a previous thread was where his character was at when he suffered the wound), and 3 and 6 for one with HP 20-29. If the GM was unaware that the x4 wounding multiplier for an Eye hit isn't meant to apply to crippling (which Campaigns doesn't actually state is the case anywhere to my knowledge), that would mean any wounding hit to an eye would destroy it for any character with HP 19 or less, and nothing short of Regrowth (or maybe Unbreakable Bones) will avoid that fate.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:01 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If the GM was unaware that the x4 wounding multiplier for an Eye hit isn't meant to apply to crippling (which Campaigns doesn't actually state is the case anywhere to my knowledge), .
I think any x4 associated with Eye hits is for attacks that go through the Eye into the Brain (where x4 is the norm). I just went through the relevant section in Campaigns and didn't see any x4 to the Eye itself. <shrug> I could have missed it.