Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Jason

Default Host/Echo

Sometimes I want to play In Nomine without getting too in-depth with the rules (especially for new players), but I do still want a 3d6 system that can see interventions. To that end, I'm thinking I might try running a one-shot soon with a hack of John Harper's Ghost/Echo. I'm trying to cover "the essentials" with this but still keep it simple; feedback is quite welcome!

You may roll up to 3d6 when attempting something:
  • 1 goal die representing what you’re trying to do
  • 1 risk die if the GM says you face a risk that isn't mutually exclusive with failing (e.g., taking damage, drawing unwanted attention)
  • 1 resource die if you have a relevant resource like a skill or role
  • 1 discord die if you have a discord that the GM says would interfere with your roll
You can replace risk dice assigned by the GM (or simply roll extra dice up to 3d6) with either of the following specialized risk dice:
  • 1 essence die if you risk draining your essence and/or attracting supernatural attention
  • 1 dissonance die if you willingly risk a step toward Falling
You decide which die is which after you roll, determining the outcome of your goal and any risks taken. If you included a resource die in your roll, you can ignore the lowest die you rolled. If you included a discord die, you must ignore the highest die you rolled.
  • 1–2 is the worst outcome – a failed goal or fully realized risk
  • 3–4 is the middle outcome – progress toward goal or continued risk
  • 5–6 is the best outcome – fully achieved goal or averted risk
If you roll a 1 and a 6 and have both a goal and a risk, for instance, you can choose to succeed at the goal and face the risk, or fail at your goal at avoid the risk.

Character sheets will have a few countdowns that see progress on the “middle outcome” rolls.
  • Damage: dead, critical, injured, + extra check boxes for progressively tougher vessels
  • Dissonance: fallen, outcast, dissonant (take a discord to uncheck “dissonant”)
  • Essence: exhausted, low, +1 more box to check off for extra forces beyond the starting number (note: you don't always lose essence when you use it, and completing a rite or reaching sunrise/sunset replenishes an entire check box!)
Characters start with a resonance, a choir/band attunement, and 3 additional abilities that may include songs, attunements, skills, artifacts, roles, tougher vessels, etc. (Currently weighing whether I want to allow any more general resources to reflect focusing on specific characteristics, like "Strong" or "Perceptive.")
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Host/Echo

I've read this a couple of times and I'm not really following it. The Ghost/Echo PDF makes it more confusing.

Just to make sure I understand a basic point, are you completely discarding the usual IN d666 and replacing it with a mechanic that doesn't involve adding up the numbers rolled, or a check digit, but looks at the values on the individual dice?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Jason

Yeah, it's a totally different system. There is no adding, no check digit, just qualitative terms describing "I'm good at this thing" or "I can do this special thing." I'm probably explaining it really poorly! I've found Ghost/Echo super easy to pick up and run with for new players. Maybe it'll make more sense if I just summarize the core mechanic:

When you want to do something, you probably have 1 goal and 1 or more risks you face beyond just failing. Roll 1 die for each, then assign which die matches the goal and which die matches the risk. High is good, low is bad, middle is mixed.

Example: My goal is to destroy a demon's vessel with my fiery sword. There is a risk because the demon has a gun and wants to shoot me. I roll 2d6 and get a 1 and a 6. I have a choice now: I can fail to kill the demon, but avoid getting shot, or I can kill the demon, but get shot myself.

Does that help?
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Ok, that matches what I thought it was saying, but wasn't sure about. Have fun, but this is too high a level of abstraction for my taste.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in nomine, rules variant, tips