Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Last Plea For Help With Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
PROTIP: While it may seem like an effective means to encourage potential responders, posting links to tvtropes is also a pretty good way to make 90% of the people reading your thread lose three hours and forget what they were doing before they clicked them. ;]
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
You might get a better response if you made the powers yourself first, then posted what you came up with and asked for constructive criticism. This way you are asking fellow forumites to help you rather than asking fellow forumites to do your work for you.
Amaterasu I: Burning Attack 4 (Divine, -10%; Extended Duration *30, +60%; Increased Range 1/2D *5, +10%; Irritant: Coughing, +20%; Irritant: Terrible Pain, +60%; Reduced Range *0.1, -30%; Requires Concentrate, -15%; Temporary Disadvantage (One Eye, Special), -25%) [34].

Amaterasu II: Burning Attack 4, Alternative Attack (Area Effect (8 yards), +150%; Divine, -10%; Extended Duration *30, +60%; Increased Range 1/2D *5, +10%; Reduced Range *0.1, -30%; Requires Concentrate, -15%; Temporary Disadvantage (One Eye, Special), -25%; Wall: Permeable (Any Shape Desired), +60%) [6].

Tsukuyomi I: Affliction 10 (Accessibility (Only on breathing things), -15%; Based on IQ (Target Roll), +20%; Costs Fatigue 2, -20%; Divine, -10%; Incapacitation: Hallucination, +50%; Increased Range 1/2D *5, +10%; Limited Use (Fast Reload, 2/Day), -15%; Reduced Range *0.1, -30%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%; Reverse Vision-Based, -20%; Temporary Disadvantage (One Eye, Special), -25%) [35].

Tsukuyomi II: Affliction 4, Alternative Attack (Accessibility (Only on breathing things), -15%; Based on IQ (Target Roll), +20%; Costs Fatigue 2, -20%; Divine, -10%; Increased Range 1/2D *5, +10%; Limited Use (Fast Reload, 2/Day), -15%; Reduced Range *0.1, -30%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%; Reverse Vision-Based, -20%; Secondary Effect: Regeneration 1HP/Second (Only While Sleeping, -50%), +100%; Temporary Disadvantage (One Eye, Special), -25%) [7].

Note: Since I no longer have an affliction that will put someone to sleep, I would absolutely appreciate if someone wrote my up some form of Accessory sleeping drug type deal. Preferably Dungeon Fantasy-esque. An appropriate price for it would be nice, too. I'm staying away from Sleep potions because I don't want it as a grenade. Preferably some kind of small pill. If he had to make it from available resources, how would he do that? Some kind of herbalist stuff, or...? I could use help there, too. I've never done that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
For the record, many of the people who were helping you, or who might be able to help you, are only able to check the forums on certain days, sometimes once a week or even less frequently. "Over 24 hours" is hardly enough time to consider something a lost cause. I recommend that, in general, you be prepared to give it a week (or at least 3-4 days as a bare minimum) for a useful response. After that, you may want to consider rephrasing or updating your question, and replying to your own thread.

However, note that the reply must be useful; it has to be a genuine addendum or clarification. We don't permit "bump" posts -- those made only for the sake of moving the thread to the first page of posts. <MOD> And Raekai, do note that the rule against bump posts most certainly applies to bump threads like this one. Consider this a friendly warning. We'll keep this thread alive, though; everyone, carry on. </MOD>
I apologize... I'm a little confused about how it all works. You're right though, and it does make sense. I apologize for being impatient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
PROTIP: While it may seem like an effective means to encourage potential responders, posting links to tvtropes is also a pretty good way to make 90% of the people reading your thread lose three hours and forget what they were doing before they clicked them. ;]
Haha. Oh, I know. I considered putting up a warning label. ;)
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
munin

Okay! Very good start! Here's some comments:

By default, Burning Attack (and all Innate Attacks, as well as Bindings and Afflictions) act something like a pistol -- you point your finger and a flame shoots out, or lasers shoot out of your eyes, or something. To make Burning Attack into something which burns people from the inside when you concentrate, you probably want one or more levels of Malediction (p. B106) instead of Requires Concentrate (you'd only use Requires Concentrate with something like the Aura enhancement). Unless you're using Requires Concentrate to sustain the duration of the Irritants? That might be valid, though I prefer Terminal Condition, Attacker stops concentrating.

You also need to specify whether the Irritants are Side Effects or Symptoms (p. B109), you can't simply apply Affliction enhancements to an Innate Attack. With Side Effect, they're going to last for minutes -- longer than almost every fight -- are you sure you want Extended Duration too? (Extended Duration wouldn't help with Symptoms)

Wall requires Persistent (p. B107). Without it, there isn't any duration to extend on Amaterasu II.

Wow, Affliction 10. Honestly, I wouldn't allow a player to take that, no matter that the point cost is reasonable and there are other limitations. I'd limit it to Affliction 6 (resisted by Attribute-5, like the Resistible limitation's maximum). But Affliction 10 is legal so that's for you and your GM to hash out.

Requires IQ Roll is legal for an Affliction, but usually things like this are done with Malediction. As written, the Tsukuyomi builds will require three rolls: an IQ roll to activate, a DX-based roll to hit the target, and then the target has to fail (or succeed for T2) an IQ roll (modified by DR). Malediction condenses this to a single Quick Contest and ignores DR (like a spell).

Fast Reload requires actual physical (and finite) "ammunition" of some sort, with Ready maneuvers to reload. Is that your intent? In this case "reloading ammunition" might mean taking Ready maneuvers to do something to your eye, consuming some physical item in the process, but it's a little weird.

Technically, you can only have a Secondary Effect if there's also another effect due to an enhancement. Getting around it is easy enough though, with, say, Advantage, Deep Sleeper, +10% (so your target can choose to go to sleep immediately, which might also solve your sleep drug issue; see p. B101). GURPS Powers (p. P41) suggests changing the requirement to activate a Secondary Effect for a beneficial affliction like this to a critical success (on your roll) instead of a critical failure.

Last edited by munin; 07-17-2012 at 01:56 AM.
munin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Thank you for the large amount of advice. The reason I have Requires Concentrate is because I want the powers to be concentrated is that I want them to be focused on rather than just simply lasting a long time. How might I model that? I'll rewrite the powers as soon as I get that info.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
... The reason I have Requires Concentrate is because I want the powers to be concentrated is that I want them to be focused on rather than just simply lasting a long time. How might I model that? ...
Malediction is the way this is usually done. It's designed to produce abilities that look and act like spells rather than ranged attacks. But there are other options.

GURPS Powers discusses the differences between abilities which are Always On, Switchable, and Transient (see Switchability, p. P153). It's a good read. An attack advantage -- like Affliction, Binding, or Innate Attack (and a few others) -- is, by default, Transient: you use it, it produces effects, and you move on to your next action. An advantage like Terror is Switchable: you turn it on and it stays on until you turn it off.

Requires Concentrate is usually only applicable to Switchable abilities. Although Affliction produces effects with a duration, they are not switchable (any more than injury produced by an innate attack is "switchable"). There are a number of ways to end the effects of an Affliction but the two that might be found in an ability write-up are Cancellation (GURPS Psionic Powers. p. 13) which allows the user to end the effects, and Terminal Condition (GURPS Powers, p. 112) which allows others to end the effects.

If you want the effects of the affliction to last only as long as the user concentrates, but you don't want to require a ranged Quick Contest every turn as with Malediction, I would use Terminal Condition, Attacker stops concentrating -- and I would price it exactly the same as Requires Concentrate at -15%, as figuring out how to end it falls somewhere between a skill roll (-10%) and common knowledge (-20%)*. The fact that, in addition to your foes being able to end the effects (by interfering with your concentration), you also can end the effects (by doing something other than concentrating) is already inherent in the Terminal Condition limitation (if others can end the effect, so can you if you choose).

* "Hey, Jimmy is paralyzed and that guy is staring intently at him. Let's try hitting that guy and see if Jimmy gets better!"
munin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, innate attack, moon, powers, sun