Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Sunrunners_Fire

Default [Supers] [My Campaign] Power Construction/Review

A thread for me to post powers as I build them for the npcs in a modern supers campaign that I'm currently constructing. I'm doing this in a public thread in order to provide examples for others to use (if they wish) and to potentially get feedback (or not, as it happens). Questions and whatnot are always welcome.

Let me start with the core ability of a control-type metahuman who works with the city as a police officer in a high threat response unit dedicated to handling super-criminals.

"Field Containment" (Binding 16) ([285] with Multiplicative Modifiers, [461] with Standard Modifiers)
Modifiers: Area Effect (Spherical) (64 yard radius), +410%; Aura, +80%; Cosmic (Can apply Reduced Fatigue Cost to Super Effort), +50%; Cosmic (Can purchase Wall (Rigid)), +50%; Cosmic (Can use both Wall (Permeable) and Wall (Rigid) at the same time (on different hexes)), +50%; Engulfing, +60%; Low Signature, +10%; Persistent, +40%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1, +20%; Selective Area, +20%; Selectivity, +10%; Super-Binding, +400%; Unbreakable, +40%; Underwater, +20%; Wall (Permeable) (Any Shape), +60%; Wall (Rigid) (Any Shape), +60%; Melee Attack (Reach C), -30%; Power Modifier (Meta), -10%

Note: Area Effect (Spherical) starts at +35% for a 2 yard radius, with each doubling of the radius adding an additional +75% to the enhancement cost. Costs based on a post by munin here.

A rather nasty ability, "Field Containment" can selectively lock down everyone and everything within a roughly football-field-sized sphere around the user with a "field" capable of resisting an impressive amount of force all by itself (Binding ST 1000); the user can stunt for greater area and effect if needed. This specific build has a limitation in that it is blocked by cover; adding malediction would remove that limitation for a reasonable increase in cost but would allow the target(s) a resistance check. The ability to place both permeable and impermeable "field" walls (and other configurable shapes) within the controlled area adds a nice bit of flexibility.

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 05-20-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Fixed Power Modifiers and Point Cost Totals (Again!)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Supers] [My Campaign] Power Construction/Review

How about selective or variable enhancement to save on the various walls?
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
How about selective or variable enhancement to save on the various walls?
I'm not sure I understand. "Field Containment" currently has both Selective Area and Selectivity; it doesn't currently have Variable as I couldn't think of a reason for him to ever use less than its' full strength ... Would you be willing to give me an example of what you're referring to?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Refplace

Currently you have
Wall (Permeable) (Any Shape), +60%; Wall (Rigid) (Any Shape), +60%;

Using Alterantive Enhancements that would be Wall (Permeable) (Any SHape) +60% + Wall (Rigid) (Any Shape) +12%

I haven't looked up the rest to see if that would be useful but saves you a few points right there. Unless you want Rigid and Permeable at the same time which with selective area might be allowed by the GM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
A thread for me to post powers as I build them for the npcs in a modern supers campaign that I'm currently constructing. I'm doing this in a public thread in order to provide examples for others to use (if they wish) and to potentially get feedback (or not, as it happens). Questions and whatnot are always welcome.

Let me start with the core ability of a control-type metahuman who works with the city as a police officer in a high threat response unit dedicated to handling super-criminals.

"Field Containment" (Binding 16) ([267] with Multiplicative Modifiers, [432] with Standard Modifiers)
Modifiers: Area Effect (Spherical) (64 yard radius), +410%; Aura, +80%; Engulfing, +60%; Low Signature, +10%; Persistent, +40%; Selective Area, +20%; Selectivity, +10%; Super-Binding, +480% (+400%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1, +20%); Unbreakable, +40%; Underwater, +20%; Wall (Permeable) (Any Shape), +60%; Wall (Rigid) (Any Shape), +60%; Melee Attack (Reach C), -30%; Power Modifier (Meta), -10%
You have to put Reduced Fatigue Cost 1 on the whole power, not just Super-Binding, furthermore you need Cosmic at the +50% to even do that. This reduces the cost. I'd also use a lot of Alternate Enhancements for this stuff as Refplace suggested.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Currently you have
Wall (Permeable) (Any Shape), +60%; Wall (Rigid) (Any Shape), +60%;

Using Alterantive Enhancements that would be Wall (Permeable) (Any SHape) +60% + Wall (Rigid) (Any Shape) +12%

I haven't looked up the rest to see if that would be useful but saves you a few points right there. Unless you want Rigid and Permeable at the same time which with selective area might be allowed by the GM.
Ah. The rules for Alternate Enhancements appear to be in Power-Ups 4; a book I don't have yet. That'd explain my confusion. Let me see if I can reverse engineer the rules for it as we're still waiting for our new card to show up in the mail (and I don't remember if the e23 store takes paypal) ...

Personally (as I'm the GM, :grins;), I was going to have the NPC with this power place some hexes as permeable and some hexes as impermeable during the same usage. Thinking about it, I'm not sure if thats' RAW (and if its' not, I'll have to decide how I want to handle it).
Old 05-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You have to put Reduced Fatigue Cost 1 on the whole power, not just Super-Binding, furthermore you need Cosmic at the +50% to even do that. This reduces the cost.
Good point. I'll make the adjustments.

Quote:
I'd also use a lot of Alternate Enhancements for this stuff as Refplace suggested.
Noted.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You have to put Reduced Fatigue Cost 1 on the whole power, not just Super-Binding, furthermore you need Cosmic at the +50% to even do that. This reduces the cost. I'd also use a lot of Alternate Enhancements for this stuff as Refplace suggested.

Ghostdancer
I did not check the math and so did not catch he was putting the Reduced FP cost on just the Super Effort. I would agree you need it on the whole power and Cosmic to do that but would not bother.
He does not have to use the Super Effort every time so can just spend the 1 point when he needs it really strong.
Your better off buying up FP or an ER in most cases of Super Effort.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I did not check the math and so did not catch he was putting the Reduced FP cost on just the Super Effort. I would agree you need it on the whole power and Cosmic to do that but would not bother.
He does not have to use the Super Effort every time so can just spend the 1 point when he needs it really strong.
Your better off buying up FP or an ER in most cases of Super Effort.
True, except for this specific one. Also it puts quite plainly in RAW how this ability interacts with Reduced Fatigue Cost in Powers underneath Lifting Strength. You need Cosmic in order to do this, it doesn't matter at all that the ability doesn't normally require a FP cost.

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Ah. The rules for Alternate Enhancements appear to be in Power-Ups 4; a book I don't have yet. That'd explain my confusion. Let me see if I can reverse engineer the rules for it as we're still waiting for our new card to show up in the mail (and I don't remember if the e23 store takes paypal) ...
They do. And you *need* this book if you're designing powers like this. Trust me.

Quote:
Personally (as I'm the GM, :grins;), I was going to have the NPC with this power place some hexes as permeable and some hexes as impermeable during the same usage. Thinking about it, I'm not sure if thats' RAW (and if its' not, I'll have to decide how I want to handle it).
Its not. Toss on a level of Cosmic on the ability and Wall and I'd let you mix and match as you like.

Edit: You can't actually have Rigid on a Binding attack, its only for Innate Attacks, I'm sure another level of Cosmic would let you ignore this restriction.

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 05-20-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Tags
power construction, powers, supers