Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Tom Mazanec

Default English in 15th Cen PoD worlds

In worlds like Shikaku-mon or Ming-3, which diverged over half a millennium ago, how different would English be? I know no penalties are listed in the sourcebooks, but I've heard renditions of how different English was in the 1400s, and figuring independent development from there, it might be quite different, I would expect. Could I talk to someone from one of those timelines?
Tom Mazanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: English in 15th Cen PoD worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
In worlds like Shikaku-mon or Ming-3, which diverged over half a millennium ago, how different would English be? I know no penalties are listed in the sourcebooks, but I've heard renditions of how different English was in the 1400s, and figuring independent development from there, it might be quite different, I would expect. Could I talk to someone from one of those timelines?
It would be easier than trying to speak to someone speaking modern Dutch, but harder than someone from the Yorkshire Dales trying to speak to someone speaking Singlish.
Possibly.
Depending on how much outside language gets absorbed - English could be replaced with a creole language in 500 years of development from the 15th cen, hypothetically.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
How much linguistic inertia does the worldline have?

I seem to recall a passage somewhere in Infinite Worlds about worlds being on or near Quantum 5 because they had some similarities to Homeline - if I'm remembering that correctly, then one of the similarities could be similarity of language, and the English of some random worldline would be similar to the English of Homeline despite it not making sense for a divergent worldline to have developed its languages the same way Homeline did.

On the other hand, if the players enjoy roleplaying out difficulties in communication, go for the probably-realistic idea of different social stresses from the Point of Divergence onward producing different languages.

(Slight digression: It took me a few minutes to realize "PoD" didn't stand for "Print on Demand".)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Could I talk to someone from one of those timelines?
For points of divergence after about 1480, usually yes, provided you avoid technical discussions. For divergence points back to about 1250, sometimes, if the London dialect (the so called Chancery Standard) formed the basis of whatever the locals are now calling English. For divergence points before 1100 very likely not, and certainly not if the Norman Conquest didn't happen.

Tags
infinite worlds