Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Christopher R. Rice

Default Metal Man [Supers]

So I've been kicking around one of my players character build for his 'metal man' (like Colossus from X-men) and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not exactly like how Supers handles it, its a bunch of abilities with a Accessibility modifier, which has worked thus far but my inner GURPSer is dissatisfied with it...so I was curious what others folks might have done for similar characters.

A little side note it seems that putting in Super-ST in the Alternate Form build is actually more expensive than having it externally as its written in Supers (under the Brick template). Is it "kosher" to have a ability with the Super PM in a Alternate Form? My first instinct is 'no' but my player asked me to ask, so, here I am asking.

Thanks everyone,

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Metal Man [Supers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
So I've been kicking around one of my players character build for his 'metal man' (like Colossus from X-men) and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not exactly like how Supers handles it, its a bunch of abilities with a Accessibility modifier, which has worked thus far but my inner GURPSer is dissatisfied with it...so I was curious what others folks might have done for similar characters.
Alternate Form (Unique Metal Man Template) (Reduced Time 4; Reflexive; Power Modifier), usually. And then build the template with all the traits its' supposed to have that the base form doesn't have.

Or were you more interested in the templates themselves?

Quote:
A little side note it seems that putting in Super-ST in the Alternate Form build is actually more expensive than having it externally as its written in Supers (under the Brick template). Is it "kosher" to have a ability with the Super PM in a Alternate Form? My first instinct is 'no' but my player asked me to ask, so, here I am asking.
I'm not quite sure I understand. You are asking if it is a) generally acceptable to place a power modifier on Alternate Form and b) generally acceptable to place that same power modifier on traits within the Alternate Form's template?

To which I would answer A with "yes, absolutely" and B with "I allow it and have never had a problem arising from allowing it". However, the forum hivemind has some freaky ideas on various subjects (read: differing opinions! oh noes! hehe) and so I'm not sure if my answer to B is a general thing or something specific to the way I run games.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
B9anders

I would always build it with Alternate Form. This is generally also the most cost-effective, as that x0.9 often comes out better than (only in alternate form, -10%), albeit it comes at the cost of unconsciousness and one pre-set condition being able to knock you back to normal form.

And yes, you do apply the power modifier to the full package of 'alternate form' traits. This may even be in the FAQ(?).

A neat little thing to pay mind to is that with alternate form, you have the very appropriate option of slapping on a extra size modifier or two for that extra point break on strength. Colossus grows in size when he transforms.

But when making bricks, I generally think that multiplicative modifiers should be used, even if you don't use them generally. It's the only way to make them competitive below 700 points, given the costly modifiers they need. I also use super-charged from Rev. Pee Kitty's Page for Striking ST instead of super-effort.

Last edited by B9anders; 07-03-2012 at 02:19 AM.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Refplace

Yeah I would do that with AF.
Most appropriate way to build several Supers (Captain Marvel (DC), Dr. Fate, Miracle Man, Hulk)
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Okay, thanks folks!

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags