Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
Bruno

Default Re: Skogsrå

They can clearly be active at the same time - if someone is before her and someone is behind her, one sees beauty and the other sees death. They're not an AA.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
She sounds like a few other similar "nymphs" or "forest spirits" or what-have you from the region (the words do not translate easily to English).

The one I'm familiar with says that she is a beautiful woman from the front, but when you go around her you see she is a one-sided, hollow, wooden shell, like an animated full-body mask. But that version doesn't give you the petrification effect that I know of, so the illusion of being a real (naked) woman only holds from the direct front and the hunter/traveler/whatever usually escapes.
This is the kind referenced in this Wiki article I found searching on the name.
Quote:
Fairy-tales rarely come with chances for side views and detailed explanations of how a 360 rotation would work :)

I'm (ironically) split 50/50 on how I'd handle it:
* inflict half petrification/paralysis/insanity down one side of the victims body (depending on what you blast the poor victim with). Yes, half his body goes crazy if you go with a Terror instead of petrification, there'd probably be an Army of Darkness moment or two.
* like lenticular holograms, you see one, or the other, never both. Which means a survivor may not put 2 and 2 together and realize the beautiful nymph and the horror are the same creature.
That last seems like the kind of effect you would associate with such creatures.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
BrockNicholson

I think the one or the other never both approach makes the most sense. If it were truly a 50/50 split approaching from any direction besides straight on would expose the viewer to at least part of the back of the creature. If it is a more magical ability, one could approach from any angle to the "front" and see a perfect woman.
BrockNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 AM   #24
Anders

It's not all tales that say you get turned to stone when you see her back. But the stories sound familiar (which is hardly surprising).

I think I'll go with "you see one or the other".

This thread has been very helpful. Thanks to everyone!

Now my next problem - how do you keep the cat from walking on the computer keyboard? Without hurting his feelings? :)
Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 AM   #25
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Now my next problem - how do you keep the cat from walking on the computer keyboard? Without hurting his feelings? :)
Duct tape. If he gets upset, he shouldn't be such a *****. =P
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #26
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Give him something a little taller on your desk to walk on. Pay much attention to the other thing. He'll move his priorities :)

For me, my cat thinks my printer is a cat-bed. :P
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers