Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
DFJ1023

Default Newbie need quick clarification-discarding

We have read the rules and faqs and while I think we have it finally figured out, we need clarification:

You are the lowest level and you have been given everyone's excess. You then lay out all the item cards you can use and sideways for ones you can't. This includes items you can wear, as well as any potions or weapons (i.e, treasure items). If you still have excess cards in your hand, you may discard them until you have 5 (6 for a cleric). This includes monsters, enhancers, curses, races and classes(i.e., door items) But you can not discard willy-nilly an item card.

And then once you get to 1,000 gold coins, you can then discard the items you are carrying for a level.

Is this correct or are we WAY off? lol Thanks in advance!
DFJ1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
chrism_morgan

Default Re: Newbie need quick clarification-discarding

Ok let me see if I am understanding the full question, here, and I will try to give you an answer.

From what I am reading you are asking about being the lowest level and on your turn trying to get your hand with all the charity included down to the allotted amount of card 5(unless a class or something else states otherwise).

First remember that you do not discard any cards until the end of the turn and those you discard would go to their respective discard piles. Second you can discard any items you want to(that are not cursed or the like) at any time.

On a different note you do not have to sell items at the end of your turn via the discarding I mentioned earlier. You can sell them before a monster fight or after, but not during (unless something allows it)

I hope this helps, if anyone else would like to say something, please feel free.
MIB: #1125
chrism_morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
DFJ1023

Ok, you then DON'T have to lay out all the item cards you receive? You may leave them in your hand and discard them? Because it seems like it says this early in the rules, but then says in another spot that items can ONLY be traded or sold. Or is that in relation to "carried" items?

Other than that one sticking point we are trucking nicely through the game. It is that one spot we are confused with.
DFJ1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFJ1023 View Post
You are the lowest level and you have been given everyone's excess. You then lay out all the item cards you can use and sideways for ones you can't.
You may put everything in play, but you aren't required to -- subject to the Charity rules (which you discuss later). Also remember that you are only allowed one Big item on the table at a time -- you can't play a second one "in reserve." (Unless you are a Dwarf or use a Cheat! or Hireling card, of course.)

Quote:
If you still have excess cards in your hand, you may discard them until you have 5 (6 for a [Dwarf]).
Only at the end of your turn. Your hand size does not matter at any other time. (And at the end of your turn, it's not "may" -- you MUST reduce your hand size to 5, or 6 for a Dwarf.)

If you are required to give Charity, it goes to the lowest-Level player, unless that's you, in which case you discard the excess.

Quote:
And then once you get to 1,000 gold coins, you can then discard the items you are carrying for a level.
On your turn (and only on your turn), you may sell Items from the table or from your hand to go up a level. You cannot sell less than 1,000 Gold Pieces, but you can sell more (you don't get change), and if you manage to reach 2,000 GP, you go up two levels, and so on.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote