Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 09:37 AM   #1
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default NEW to GURPS? Read this FIRST!

If you are new to GURPS, first let me welcome you to what I find to be a fantastic game system. I will be speaking mostly about the 4th Edition here.

You also probably have one question above all others: What do I need to get started with GURPS?

Personally, I would recommend you start with GURPS Lite. This is a FREE PDF that includes all the fundamental rules for play. It also includes a small list of Skills, Advantages and Disadvantages, to allow you to build a character.

You can find the GURPS Lite PDF for free on Warehouse23 or Warehouse23 Shopify Steve Jackson Games' company store site, or, if you prefer, on drivethrurpg.

If after reading through GURPS Lite, you decide you like it, and want to see more; GURPS Basic Set: Characters contains all that you need to make almost any character you can imagine. GURPS Basic Set: Campaign expands on the mechanical rules of the game, adding many options that you can use, or not use, to give your game the appropriate feel you are looking for.

Once you decide if GURPS is right for you, or if you have more questions about the rules before deciding, there are many people here on the GURPS forums who would be more than happy to help with any questions you have.

TL;DR - Start with GURPS Lite, then if you like it move on to the Basic Set. Anything else is optional.
MIB #1457

Last edited by sjard; 01-25-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:39 AM   #2
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: NEW to GURPS? Read this FIRST!

If you are new to GURPS, and are looking for something tuned towards fantasy dungeon exploration, you're in luck.

Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game - Powered by GURPS, is a tailored product, including only the parts of GURPS necessary for exploring dungeons, fighting monsters, and recover the treasures. Hopefully while having your characters survive the experience. Dungeon Fantasy RPG contains everything you need to get started in this style of play.

Sound like what you're looking for? You can find it on Warehouse23, Warehouse23 Shopify, or on Drivethrurpg.

And we have a section of the forums dedicated to it if you have more questions. You can find more help in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Forum.
MIB #1457

Last edited by sjard; 01-26-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Closed Thread