Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #31
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Alternate Talent pricing for math heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
Magic has, what, something like 650 spells?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartrader View Post
Uh, more like 1100...
848, once you get rid of anything that has a required specialization (such as Divination and Create Elemental), forgetting Syntactic Magic, spells that appear in later books, and not treating Clerical and Ritual as separate spells.

What? Funny things happen when you work with GCA too much, like building a spreadsheet with every spell in it (not to mention every important bit of information about every spell).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Who the [hell] uses Haircut?
I'm pretty sure "hell" isn't a word that the profanity filter cares about.

There's no reason you couldn't have a setting with spell-barbers. Technomancer is probably one such.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm pretty sure "hell" isn't a word that the profanity filter cares about.

There's no reason you couldn't have a setting with spell-barbers. Technomancer is probably one such.
I care, damn it.
I prefer to only use profanity for aggressive emphasis or humor. :)
Most would have IQ 10, and one to four points in their profession. That's not nearly enough to make a spell useful or safe.
I'd much rather risk a nicked ear than a face eating demon or other backlash.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I care, damn it.
I prefer to only use profanity for aggressive emphasis or humor. :)
It looks like you are deliberately subverting the filter. Which makes me think I should report it. Then I realize how stupid that would look if the word isn't actually filtered. So I have to test it. Which is my problem, I guess.
Quote:
Most would have IQ 10, and one to four points in their profession. That's not nearly enough to make a spell useful or safe.
In a setting with spell-barbers casting Haircut under normal barber conditions is probably just a monthly job roll.
Quote:
Air travel probably would be very different if one out of 216 planes crashed too.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

But I asterisk-ed the word this time. Are you objecting to my not doing it to every letter? I have never heard of anyone getting that bent out of shape about even the concept of profane words. Is that against the forum rules? It never occurred to me that it might be.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It looks like you are deliberately subverting the filter. Which makes me think I should report it. Then I realize how stupid that would look if the word isn't actually filtered. So I have to test it. Which is my problem, I guess.
In a setting with spell-barbers casting Haircut under normal barber conditions is probably just a monthly job roll.
Air travel probably would be very different if one out of 216 planes crashed too.
Most rules don't apply to spells. I could have sworn I read that routine use +4 bonuses and lower risk of critical failure were two of them.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Most rules don't apply to spells. I could have sworn I read that routine use +4 bonuses and lower risk of critical failure were two of them.
In a setting where that's not the case and spells like Haircut are routinely used, such as Technomancer then magic can be used for regular jobs. This is no different from saying that you are using the Ritual Magic rules, or that you are using Trading Energy for Skill or even that you are using Spirit Mediated Energy Gathering Path Magic with Corruption.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #38
Vaevictis Asmadi

I like the idea of greater/broader "aptitude" talents to represent subsets of IQ and DX. I was thinking the other day about just what those two attributes represent, and how they could be broken down into secondary attributes. It would certainly be nice to be able to buy them up or down independently.

IQ: Perception, Will, Reasoning (problem-solving), Social (social intelligence), Memory, Cunning, Wits (quick-thinking), Spatial (spatial reasoning), Experience (breadth and depth of life experience, education)

DX: Agility (gross motor skills, whole-body dexterity), Reflex (raw speed, not endurance speed), Dexterity (manual dexterity, fine motor skills), Flexibility

These, are more like secondary attributes than super-talents. But if DX and IQ were broken down into them, and skills were based on these instead of IQ and DX, then some of the pricing and power issues of those two might be resolved. IQ and DX could still be used (as meta-traits), for convenience and simplicity.

Quote:
Aw, live a little.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 05-16-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #39
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
These, are more like sub-traits than super-talents. But if DX and IQ were broken down into them, and skills were based on these instead of IQ and DX, then some of the pricing and power issues of those two might be resolved. IQ and DX could still be used (as meta-traits), for convenience and simplicity.
I have seen homebrew RPGs that went this route. It gets too complicated. Part of this is because there's a lot of scope for disagreement over which sub-traits are relevant to an action; there is often scope for using different ones in different ways.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #40
Vaevictis Asmadi

My above break-down is quite detailed, but IQ and DX could certainly be broken down less finely.

For example:

IQ: Perception, Will, Reasoning (problem-solving), Social (social intelligence), Memory (including general life experience), Wits (quick-thinking, cunning)

DX: Agility (gross dexterity, flexibility), Reflex, Dexterity (manual dexterity)

This IQ breakdown is no more detailed than what the Storyteller system uses, though that has no Memory attribute, and divides my Social into Charisma and Manipulation.

Basic Speed is already a sub-attribute, though it conflates reflexes and combat speed with endurance speed for travelling, which doesn't make sense. Manual Dexterity is already a thing you can buy up or down, as a(n) (dis)advantage. Reflex could be further lumped into Agility, and simply used in the formula for Basic Speed (since it has no other use, really). On the other hand, Reflex seems to be that thing that people subtract from DX to yield DX! -- the thing that helps with Combat Reflexes.

I might start with:

DX [20/lv]
>Reflex [5/lv]
>DX! [15/lv]
>>Agility [5/lv]
>>Manual Dexterity [10/lv]

IQ
>Per [5/lv]
>Will [5/lv]
>IQ! [20 or 25/lv]
>>Reasoning [5 or 10/lv]
>>Social Intelligence [5 or 10/lv]
>>Wits [5/lv]
>>Memory [5/lv]

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 05-16-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attributes, house rules, sagatafl, talent