Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
BaHalus

Default GURPS SUPER MARIO BROS

My son said to me that want to play RPG. When I asked about a theme, he choose Super Mario Bros.

So, I want to make a RPG game that have some of the feeling of the game, but still some feeling of GURPS.

And I want to keep it simple (We may have complexity under the hood, but I want to present simples rules to him).

I am thinking about using Lego pieces as the boardgame, not rolling damage and HT (fixed damage. And losing all HP you lose a life and restart the challenge). I know how to simulate fixed damage, but don't remember if there is any advantage or disadvantage that would cause you to simply die after losing some life.

I am thinking about using elements of many of the different Super Mario games (New Super Mario Bros, Mario RPG, Super Mario Bros Brawl, Super Mario 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario Wii, Mario Party, etc) and maybe creating new ones.

How would I simulate a power that is gained with the use of "rare" flowers or mushrooms and lost right after the character is hit?

Which rules should I use as is, which should I use in a more simple way, which should I simply remove.

I want to make it simple and fun.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Landwalker

Default Re: GURPS SUPER MARIO BROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
I know how to simulate fixed damage, but don't remember if there is any advantage or disadvantage that would cause you to simply die after losing some life.
I don't have my books available, and this isn't an advantage that has been a frequent flyer in my GURPS experiences, but would the Supernatural Durability advantage accomplish that? Alternatively, I'm sure there's something in one of the various undead meta-traits that represents being "unrelenting until destroyed" rather than the gradual degradation of ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus
How would I simulate a power that is gained with the use of "rare" flowers or mushrooms and lost right after the character is hit?
Perhaps an advantage with the Trigger modification for the first part... not sure off the top of my head about the second, though.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
My son said to me that want to play RPG. When I asked about a theme, he choose Super Mario Bros.

So, I want to make a RPG game that have some of the feeling of the game, but still some feeling of GURPS.

And I want to keep it simple (We may have complexity under the hood, but I want to present simples rules to him).

I am thinking about using Lego pieces as the boardgame, not rolling damage and HT (fixed damage. And losing all HP you lose a life and restart the challenge). I know how to simulate fixed damage, but don't remember if there is any advantage or disadvantage that would cause you to simply die after losing some life.

I am thinking about using elements of many of the different Super Mario games (New Super Mario Bros, Mario RPG, Super Mario Bros Brawl, Super Mario 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario Wii, Mario Party, etc) and maybe creating new ones.

Which rules should I use as is, which should I use in a more simple way, which should I simply remove.

I want to make it simple and fun.
For losing life after so much HP is something like Fragile (Unnatural), which fits a video game world I think. This would mean at negative HP you die/disappear/etc.

Fixed damage is just 3.5 damage per dice. No biggy.

As for losing after being hit, that sounds like an advantage with some sort of unstable limitation or side effect limitation off the top of my head.

Getting big from a mushroom would be size modifier. This could allow you to use "Trample" rules on enemies, might even add Super Jump rules to just your jump as a slam for the sake of smoshing those baddies.

Fire Flower is just innate attack burn. Might let it have some other effects.

Star power up is the wierd one because there is not immunity or infinite damage in GURPS because they'd be infinite points. So just make it as powerful as strongest attacks with emanation or something for damage, maybe even with knockback because it's neat to run through guys!

You know, mario would be a really fun GURPS experiment.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Terwin

If I was trying to model Super Mario Brothers I would probably use the following:

Characters:
Fragile(Unnatural) (automatically kills you at -HP) [-50]
Possibly low HP as well, as they seem to be pretty fragile.

Equipment
Gadgets(all with limitations: One slot only[-??%](only one item can be carried/used at a time), Breakable(DR 3-5 -15%), SM0 -25%

and the advantages:
DR(standard damage amount) Ablative -80%
Striking Strength +X(when big you can break blocks)

perhaps insubstantial(10 seconds duration, triggered when gear is destroyed) as well

in addition to any other powers (fireballs and such)

I would also add a custom limitation (always use equipment DR first, Equipment breaks when it runs out of DR -??%)

From what I have seen, Mario does not inherently get to throw fireballs, instead he gets equipment/a suit that lets him throw fireballs, so make it found equipment.

As an added bonus, as collected gear he does not need to pay for using it during an adventure, only if he wants it to have plot protection for future use.

Edit:
Star power could just be normal DR at just above the standard damage amount and a maximum duration.
It also would not have the one item at a time limitation, as you can collect it without losing other gear.

Last edited by Terwin; 12-15-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwin View Post
If I was trying to model Super Mario Brothers I would probably use the following:

Characters:
Fragile(Unnatural) (automatically kills you at -HP) [-50]
Possibly low HP as well, as they seem to be pretty fragile.

Equipment
Gadgets(all with limitations: One slot only[-??%](only one item can be carried/used at a time), Breakable(DR 3-5 -15%), SM0 -25%

and the advantages:
DR(standard damage amount) Ablative -80%
Striking Strength +X(when big you can break blocks)

perhaps insubstantial(10 seconds duration, triggered when gear is destroyed) as well

in addition to any other powers (fireballs and such)

I would also add a custom limitation (always use equipment DR first, Equipment breaks when it runs out of DR -??%)

From what I have seen, Mario does not inherently get to throw fireballs, instead he gets equipment/a suit that lets him throw fireballs, so make it found equipment.

As an added bonus, as collected gear he does not need to pay for using it during an adventure, only if he wants it to have plot protection for future use.
Gadget = Gear. And that would suggest enemies can get the same gadget too, but as we know, for some reason, only the heroes can pick them up and use them! Probably some inner human powah or something!
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
OldSam

I'm immediately thinking of a powerful crushing jump :)

...probably easiest to model as a kind of Innate Attack(Crushing, Melee Attack, ...) Then maybe an accessibility limitation only usable with a jump...?
Something like that ;)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Just use the rules for Super Jump.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #8
starslayer

No need to worry too much about star power- it's just a burning attack with aura and enough DR to cover landing on spikes.

In the standard side scroller games:
Mario has:

Unkillable 3.
Fragile unnatural
reduced HP (to 2 remaining)
Damage reduction 10 (so nothing that causes less than ten damage does more then 1 HP of real damage)
Wounded (he starts each life with 1 HP remaining)
Unhealing

Innate attack; crushing jump, requires acrobatics roll
Innate attack; crushing uppercut (for breaking blocks)
Super jump 1

Picking up a magic item heals one hit point, and if he is at full HP he can use the item (fire flower/ etc).

Most enemies have 1 HP, koopa have two, but become paralized after loosing one.

In mario 64/mario galaxy/etc he has
Unkillable 3
Fragile unnatural
Damage reduction 5 (most things only do one hit point of damage, but some things do more than one)
Unhealing
Instant regeneration (in water only)

Innate attack; crushing jump, requires acrobatics roll
Innate attack; crushing punch (for breaking blocks and bashing stuff)
Clinging (for sticking to sheer wall faces)
Super jump 1
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Most enemies have 1 HP, koopa have two, but become paralized after loosing one.
Actually koopas have one HP just like goombas, but so much DR that the normal crushing attacks don't hurt them; you need to either kick another shell into them or hit them with a fireball to do damage.

It's more that they react to surprise by retreating into their shells. Red Koopas are methodical but cowardly, hence turning around when they come to the edge of a platform. Green koopas are impulsive and reckless, charging head-first into battle at top (turtle) speed but still just as susceptible to being tripped and just as quick to retreat into their shells once actually attacked.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Gadget = Gear. And that would suggest enemies can get the same gadget too, but as we know, for some reason, only the heroes can pick them up and use them! Probably some inner human powah or something!
Captain America's shield is a gadget, but all its abilities are not immediately usable (tossing it). The "can be stolen" limitation is halved if the thief can't use the ability.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children in gurps, clinging, kids, mario mario, powers, super mario bros, video games