Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 08-06-2019, 01:34 AM   #1
swordtart

Default Carbon Aluminium Body

I noted recently that the description for CA Body says "Any vehicle body". Now I have never considered the implications of this.

CA Bikes! Let's face it they are dead in a collision anyway, so why not go the whole hog. Improving the light bikes payload from 500 lb to 625 lb has to be worth an extra $600. Better would be improving the payload of the light sidecar by 50%.

I note specifically that bikes cannot improve their CHASSIS to increase load. This is a body mod like streamlining and sloping armor, we definitely allow those for bikes.

Does anyone recall any prohibition being imposed or have examples of CA bikes?
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
Parody

Default Re: Carbon Aluminium Body

Did you want any HC to go with your CA Frame bike? The Suspension cost goes up as well. (CWC2.5 p. 68, UACFH p. 156)

I don't make a lot of bikes in general, much less ones with CA Frames, so I don't have a good example for you. :/
Old 08-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Magesmiley

There's no limitation You can make trucks and choppers with CA frames too.

I've made more than a few with it. It's actually a good move for bikes IMO. And don't forget that it works for sidecars as well.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
juris

My friend was a brilliant designer who recognized this years ago:

Pak 43 -- Heavy Cycle w/CA Frame, Light suspension, Small Cycle power plant w/SC, 10-pt CA (Power Plant), 2 Motorcycle Heavy-Duty Radial tires, Cyclist w/BA and 10-pt CA, Anti-Tank Gun Front w/10 shots HEAT, Plastic Armor: F8, B3, Acceleration 5, Top Speed 90, HC 1, 1299 lbs., $6132

He even drew a picture - basically the pic of an ATG in the 'yellow' Uncle Al with wheels and handlebars. It was hilarious.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Did you want any HC to go with your CA Frame bike? The Suspension cost goes up as well. (CWC2.5 p. 68, UACFH p. 156)

I don't make a lot of bikes in general, much less ones with CA Frames, so I don't have a good example for you. :/
Same here -- what killed CA-frames in NOVA was the ruling "CA-frame affects Chassis and Suspension"; that effectively jacked the price of a car up at least two full Divisions, and for that much money, one could add enough firepower to cancel out any benefits of having the CA-frame in the first place. The only events where CA-frames appeared were in Racing events where the body type was not a Racing design.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
There's no limitation You can make trucks and choppers with CA frames too.
Hahahahhahhahhahahhahah! SPENDY!!!

$240K for an extra 1000lb lift, I was thinking $60K for 2050lb on a sleeper longnose was a bit stiff.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post

But at least with bikes it is only suspension and it is the only way to increase capacity (and you can add HC with a cheap sidecar that doesn't need CA modification).

CA's big failing is that buying strengthened chassis generally gives more capacity at a far lower cost (and without the risk from collision). CA works best where the ratio of body weight to max load is out of whack (like the subcompact*) and/or the body cost is unusually low.

Hmmmm there is probably a fairly straightforward formula for that....

*Subcompacts also benefit from a good unmodified HC.

Last edited by swordtart; 08-06-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
Racer

Smaller Trailers also benefit from CA Frames , as they only have to worry about Chassis improvements & no Suspension ones .
( Having helped build two trailers at school , I can reasonably say that smaller Car Wars Trailers bodies are waaay overweight ... )

Case in point :

Irritator - Mini-Van Trailer w/CA Frame , X-Hvy Chassis , 2 PR Cycle Tires , Blow Through Concealed MG Back , Blow Through Concealed SD Back w/Extra Magazine & 20 Loads Explosive Spikes , Link MG-SD , Composite Metal/Plastic Armour : F 0/5 , L 0/12 , R 0/12 , B 5/25 , T 0/5 , U 0/5 , 2-3pt Wheel guards , 1,079lbs , $5,649 .
No one expects a Mini-Van to fight back ...

[ Nice to hook up to a Car with spare Power Factors to tow it , for that little extra rear defense . Cheap enough to blow an Explosive Hitch to ditch if necessary or to obstruct a road lane . Very annoying for Cycle Packs attacking from the back ... hence the name heh heh ;-) ]

Last edited by Racer; 11-07-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote