Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #31
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Dangers in a Post Apocalyptic World

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Captured fog, a sample of dark fog was captured by a super and took over the location (or the super)
I like this one. That's not bad at all. I'll have to consider how best to utilize this idea.

Keep 'em coming folks! Some of this stuff is seeing light very soon.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #32
khorboth

Since you asked for more...

What about something (super, device, location etc...) that can stabilize the Mist for a short but unpredictable time. Like 2d hours.

Then you can have... an extended opening into the past through which things can be pursued into the present. Hunting/scavenging expeditions into the past under a tight but unknown time frame. A battle to try to keep something in the past. An attempt to capture a herd of livestock for the future. etc.

And also the dim hope of finding the time just before everything went wrong so it can be fixed.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

Time travel stories are tricky to write when you have total control over the characters. In games, I imagine things can get out of hand quickly.

But if the present mist connects with the past and possibly even future mist, things might get interesting. Your PCs could be the cause for some of the disappearances and strange after effects attributed to the mist in the first place.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #34
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Since you asked for more...

What about something (super, device, location etc...) that can stabilize the Mist for a short but unpredictable time. Like 2d hours.

Then you can have... an extended opening into the past through which things can be pursued into the present. Hunting/scavenging expeditions into the past under a tight but unknown time frame. A battle to try to keep something in the past. An attempt to capture a herd of livestock for the future. etc.

And also the dim hope of finding the time just before everything went wrong so it can be fixed.
This is interesting but I'm not sure I can use it without violating some previously established stuff - Dark Fog is unpredictable by its nature. It was designed that way. There are those who can sense when it's about to show up, but that's in terms of minutes or seconds, not hours or days. Still, this is an interesting idea. Robbing the past to stay alive in the future. I'll have to consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Time travel stories are tricky to write when you have total control over the characters. In games, I imagine things can get out of hand quickly.

But if the present mist connects with the past and possibly even future mist, things might get interesting. Your PCs could be the cause for some of the disappearances and strange after effects attributed to the mist in the first place.
Verily. That's why all time travel except for *one* instance has been one way. And that was done by a prime - a metahuman so powerful they are effectively gods.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #35
(E)

The Herd
Riffing off an earlier idea, All the herbivores in the area have a hive mind as a result of the influence of a (late?) Super or an empowered animal. They take offense to the presence of predatory humans. For added spice there may be a patriarch or matriarch, gorillas incidentally are herbivores.

Weather event, Glass storm. Combine the wind funneling effects of a high rise city with decaying buildings and a suddenly the streets are a lethal place to be.
Option, use the glass storm as a reason to push the players into an unexplored location.

Defence Systems
During the end people might have set up what would at other times be classed as illegal weapons as defensive measures to protect their property.
Aging sentry guns, mines, booby traps.....

Unclosed bunker, Setup before the end this is a structure that is designed to keep a number of people safe, even including the ability to close automatically and not let anyone out until it is "Safe". If the PCs stumble into it they either have to break out or wait until the all clear sounds....
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #36
Luke Bunyip

How about a gang of roaming supers, that offer 'protection' to those settlements run by single supers. Useful support if the peasants revolt, or if a neighbouring super starts getting nasty. However they can be a pain (both literally and figuratively) to host in any particular town.

For added nasty, have a number of competing super gangs, fighting over individual settlements and/or associated supers.

Last edited by Luke Bunyip; 07-24-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Luke Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #37
Luke Bunyip

Also, humans fighting back against supers?
Possibly watch the trailer for The Boys for some ideas regarding potential NPCs.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #38
khorboth

Beached whale:

Super-sad. And then... what? Do you muster resources to try to push it back into the sea? Do you try to carve tons of meat & resources? or... Do factions fight over it? Just throw a beached whale at the PCs and see what happens.

Clear-cutting:

Somebody has decided that the old ways must come back! Step 1: get rid of all these new trees. They're cutting a swath. Maybe some slash-and burn farming. The current population isn't really hugely environmentalist anymore, but... maybe we shouldn't make all the same mistakes over again? On the other hand, they're managing some decent industry... so... hmm...

Dinosaurs:

So... how far back does the Mist go? Do we get dinosaurs? Don't limit yourself to the standbys. Look at Quetzalcoatlus and ankylosorous andPachycephalosaurus and whatever else you feel like.

Weather:

How about a noreaster? Or something really wacky caused by the changes? Nasty ice storms? Tornados in New York? an extended drought with snow/ice on the ground?

New religion:

A new cult/religion emerges. Maybe it worships the trees. Maybe technology. They seem to do social good and unite people, but... It's very secretive and hierarchical...
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #39
Flyndaran
Untagged

The mist could connect not just to the one real past, but perhaps believed or imagined pasts. Dinosaurs as we are reasonably certain existed, or perhaps Jurassic park types, or even early 20th giant lizard kinds.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #40
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
The Herd
Riffing off an earlier idea, All the herbivores in the area have a hive mind as a result of the influence of a (late?) Super or an empowered animal. They take offense to the presence of predatory humans. For added spice there may be a patriarch or matriarch, gorillas incidentally are herbivores.
Interesting.

Quote:
Weather event, Glass storm. Combine the wind funneling effects of a high rise city with decaying buildings and a suddenly the streets are a lethal place to be.
Option, use the glass storm as a reason to push the players into an unexplored location.
That's just mean. Totally sold on this.

Quote:
Defence Systems
During the end people might have set up what would at other times be classed as illegal weapons as defensive measures to protect their property.
Aging sentry guns, mines, booby traps.....
I have something like this going on.

Quote:
Unclosed bunker, Setup before the end this is a structure that is designed to keep a number of people safe, even including the ability to close automatically and not let anyone out until it is "Safe". If the PCs stumble into it they either have to break out or wait until the all clear sounds....
The end came as somewhat of a shock. Not much preparation was able to be had so this is unlikely except for crazed doomsday preppers and survivalists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
How about a gang of roaming supers, that offer 'protection' to those settlements run by single supers. Useful support if the peasants revolt, or if a neighbouring super starts getting nasty. However they can be a pain (both literally and figuratively) to host in any particular town.

For added nasty, have a number of competing super gangs, fighting over individual settlements and/or associated supers.
So there are several gangs with supers and all-supers gangs in the ruins and surrounding area of NYC. Most human settlements won't have anything to do with abbies, though there are exceptions. Light City (a settlement in what was once Queens) has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in place for powers and does its best to ignore those with obvious powers. In GURPS terms, supers possess the equivalent of Social Stigma in the dark future of AEON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Also, humans fighting back against supers?
Possibly watch the trailer for The Boys for some ideas regarding potential NPCs.
I intend to watch that when it comes out.

Become a Patron!