Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
scc

Default Weapon Talents For Dungeon Fantasy

So one idea I've had for DF more amusing is to hang a lamphade on the use of levels by giving CP out in groups of 50 and make characters spend these on only traits suitable for one profession. As a niche protection thing I want to give every profession it's own Talent or Unusual Background that you have buy with CP earnt from finding secret areas, negotiation or trickery that successfully avoids a deadly foe, or good roleplaying.

As part of this I want to make the Talents used by some Professions. Barbarians will actually have Mr. Smash now instead of Outdoorsman. Knights are a bit of a problem, Pickaxe Penchant sort of works, but I've figured out that I want more then one Talent for them (Characters/Players need only buy one Talent).

So I also want a Talent for wielding swords, tentatively called Swordborn, covering Broadsword, Two-Handed Sword, Shield, and Main-Gauche, but I feel like it should have a bit more, like maybe Armoury or Connoisseur if it applies to things covered by the Talent (Feels like a good Alternative Benefit). Adding Smallsword and Shortword feels like both a bit much and too narrow.

I would also like a Talent for spear users, which I'm think Polearm, Spear and Spear Thrower is a good start for.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:57 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Weapon Talents For Dungeon Fantasy

I would suggest only having related weapon skills in a talent (things that default to each other or have a thematic relationship). For example:

Fencing Talent would include Main-Gauche, Rapier, Saber, and Smallsword.

Impact Talent would include Axe/Mace, Flail, Two-handed Axe/Mace, and Two-handed Flail.

Sword Talent would include Broadsword, Force Sword, Jitte/Sai, Knife, Shortsword, and Two-handed Sword.

Unarmed Talent would include Brawling, Boxing, Judo, Karate, Sumo Wrestling, and Wrestling.

In any case, anything more broad should probably instead be covered by Wildcard Skills, as they are a better buy than larger talents due to their diversity (and the action pool that they provide).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 AM   #3
Rupert

Default Re: Weapon Talents For Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
So I also want a Talent for wielding swords, tentatively called Swordborn, covering Broadsword, Two-Handed Sword, Shield, and Main-Gauche, but I feel like it should have a bit more, like maybe Armoury or Connoisseur if it applies to things covered by the Talent (Feels like a good Alternative Benefit). Adding Smallsword and Shortword feels like both a bit much and too narrow.
For an 'alternate' benefit, how about the one from Halfling Marksmanship?

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote