Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #31
Varyon

Default Re: Masters of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Secret (per the figure comics he is King Randor's older brother Keldor which, baring him being a bastard linage-wise, would make him rightful king of Eternia. In fact, per DC's Masters of the Universe: Origin of Skeletor comic he was denied his birthright for purely racist reasons)
A GURPS Secret is something that, if revealed, would have negative consequences for the character. I don't really see that happening here - if anything, revelation would help him. If* it's something he doesn't ever mention, I'd imagine it's more because he knows nobody would believe him than because he's afraid of the consequences. That, or he is actually unaware.

*My knowledge of the setting is limited to having seen a handful of cartoon episodes back when I was much younger.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #32
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
A GURPS Secret is something that, if revealed, would have negative consequences for the character. I don't really see that happening here - if anything, revelation would help him. If* it's something he doesn't ever mention, I'd imagine it's more because he knows nobody would believe him than because he's afraid of the consequences. That, or he is actually unaware.

*My knowledge of the setting is limited to having seen a handful of cartoon episodes back when I was much younger.
It depends on what is meant by "negative" consequences. IIUC, per the 2002 information the Gar have a bad reputation as they started terrorizing the people after the Death of King Greyskull (whose murder was supposedly set in motion by a Gar)

Skeletor might be afraid that revealing the secret (he knows he is Randor's half brother in the 2002 version) could push the planet into civil war as people would flock to his aid...people he could not control. I think that the 1980s version is unaware of his relationship with Randor at a conscious level.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #33
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Star View Post
Skeletor, being a mage, should have decent IQ, but not genius level since he keeps getting defeated by He-man. Probably disadvantages like Obsession (capture Castle Grayskull), and maybe Sadism. In a pure sword-and-sorcery campaign he might even be a Lich!
The GURPS template for a Lich has them being sexless though, and Skeletor is very clearly male. I think it's just his face that's skeletal, he seems otherwise very muscular, albeit either with blue skin or wearing a blue bodysuit or something along those lines.

Apparently he has a son called "Skeleteen" somewhere in the series lore (either with Evil-Lyn or Shadow Weaver, can't find consistent info) so we'd definitely have to modify the standard "Lich" Enchantment/Necromancy effects if used on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
B33 Potential Advantage (Secret Advantage) is probably what this would be, like having a secret "Rank" which he doesn't benefit from, but he could later on if it was ever actually proven.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #34
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
We should be clear which version of the characters we are talking about as in many cases there are three: the comics that came with the original figures, the 1980s TV show, and the 2002 TV Show.

Also, while I agree giving Skeletor an an IQ 16 is a bit much we need to keep in mind that, at least in his 1980s incarnation, he has Overconfidence (6) for -15 points, may have some Megalomania (quirk level), a Secret (per the figure comics he is King Randor's older brother Keldor which, baring him being a bastard linage-wise, would make him rightful king of Eternia. In fact, per DC's Masters of the Universe: Origin of Skeletor comic he was denied his birthright for purely racist reasons), and Fanaticism. He definitely has Selfish
Per the Action Figure Mini-Comics, Skeletor is a member of an alternate universe species full of skeletors, and he desires Grayskull to summon his brethren.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #35
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
We’ve been enjoying that show immensely in my family. I’ve often thought that it could make a fun, light-hearted GURPS setting. Just creating Bow’s bow (yup, archer’s name is Bow) would be a ton of fun.
That's still 1 less than double dragon
And five less than Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #36
Plane

Some day they should do a crossover between those 3 franchises, it would be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Per the Action Figure Mini-Comics, Skeletor is a member of an alternate universe species full of skeletors, and he desires Grayskull to summon his brethren.
I need to get around to reading those pre-toon bibles and figure out some convoluted way to rationalize how I can fit that explanation in with the TV series and later comics.

Like maybe that early explanation was Skeletor lying or having a hallucination?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:58 AM   #37
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Some day they should do a crossover between those 3 franchises, it would be amazing.

I need to get around to reading those pre-toon bibles and figure out some convoluted way to rationalize how I can fit that explanation in with the TV series and later comics.

Like maybe that early explanation was Skeletor lying or having a hallucination?
You could go a Crisis on Infinite Worlds meets Hypertime route when the 1980s Skeletor again gets over his head (as in "To Save Skeletor") and causes the histories of the three realities to start blending with each other.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote