Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 03-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default March 24, 2018: Happy With My Tesla

March 24, 2018: Happy With My Tesla

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
Tom H.

Default Re: March 24, 2018: Happy With My Tesla

This is good to hear, and I really appreciate quality in this day.

However, I've been increasingly concerned with how people can be treated at their jobs.

I have heard some dark things about how Tesla's factories are run.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ions-elon-musk

To be sure, news today can be very biased. It isn't lost on me that the media can be used for corporate and political warfare.

However, if the report is true, it's not even in the company's ultimate best interest to mistreat its people.

Of course, this is a prevalent problem across many large companies today. I have plenty more articles that are critical of corporations from Starbucks to Amazon.

Now it may be too much to assert cause and effect, but from one perspective, the world is "bleeding." And a person's job is a significant part of his or her life.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Kalzazz

How is charging handled? How long do you go between charges? Is it inconvenient or not bad?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Charging is super convenient - I plug the car in when I put it in the carage, and it regains about (IIRC) 40 miles an hour, to a usual max of 225 or so. I can charge it past 250 if I need to, but I don't do that unless I'm going on a long trip.

Charging speed depends on what you're plugging into. I can recharge from ordinary 110V wall power, but it would take more than two days to bring the car from empty to full. We have 220V outlets at the office - several of us have electrics of one sort or another - and if I drive to the office and plug in to 220, it is full before I'm ready to go home.

So, like I said, super convenient. That's not even getting into the chain of Tesla superchargers, which are super fast but not relevant to my daily driver routine!
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
Mack_JB

This past summer my son and I made a road trip, passing through Shamrock Texas, and we stopped to see the iconic Route 66 era gas station there. He was thrilled to see a bank of Tesla chargers out back --which were new since my last visit in Fall 2013.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:57 PM   #6
tbriggs

Got my Tesla Model S 75D late October 2017. Been loving it so far. Even with the "small" battery I can have 230+ mile range every morning with 90% charge to preserve the battery life. Also better performance than my last car (333+ HP coupe) and better handling too.
tbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
SolemnGolem

This is good to hear, and I'm also looking at a new car at some point.

The car I'm currently driving is a two-door studenty hatchback that I acquired seven years ago on limited means. Since then, I've gotten a good job, saved up a nice rainy day fund, and I'm looking at the addition of a number of family members to my household - all of whom prefer driving automatic transmission, instead of the manual transmission that I have and prefer.

I think this car is still beyond my comfort at this point, cost wise, but it does look like the first class of automobile where the cost is commensurate with a sea change in the industry and product design.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Yes, the Model S is a big car. I have never stood next to a Model 3 but they seem to be bigger than my old Corolla. Definitely not designed for the UK :(
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Kalzazz

Is yours the 4 door?

The front and rear trunks made me drool. I drive a cute little 2 door Honda Civic and I so want a 4 door, but, every time I think on it I'm like 'but my car is paid for! Do I want a car note?'

The most I drive at a stretch except in really weird circumstances is like 120 miles, so the range would be perfect for me
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Yes, the Model S is a big car. I have never stood next to a Model 3 but they seem to be bigger than my old Corolla. Definitely not designed for the UK :(
Don't think any cars except maybe British ones are designed for the UK. The roads there are alarmingly narrow.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote