Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #1
HeatDeath

Default Car Wars 6e Build Card List - now updated with Record Sheets info

On the Facebook page, someone posted a question about how the sources for different cards required in the Vehicle Guides were spread out over all the sets, and that this was problematic for people who had not purchased set 2 and 4, or who had purchased but not received them yet.

I am not on Facebook, so I couldn't respond directly [I hope someone can point them to my response here] but my immediate thought was that the problem may not necessarily be as bad as it seems - a lot of cards from sets 2 and 4 are also present on the vehicle record sheets, which all owners of the game have. That got me wondering precisely how much coverage the record sheets provided of those sets.

In response, I have just added info to my metadata-only card list (located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing ) : a column that lists the record sheets, if any, that each card is located on, in addition to which set the card itself comes with.

[As part of this, I also radically refactored the list so that the "All" tab is the single source of truth and each set breakout tab is a query from the entries on the "All" tab. This guarantees that the "All" tab and the other tabs are synchronized, standardizes the sorting order on all of the tabs, and will dramatically streamline adding the remaining cards from sets 2 and 4 when I get them, but that's probably more a "me" benefit than a "you" benefit.]

So if you're trying to build a car from the VG and it uses a card from Set 4, which you don't have, e.g. the Particle Beam, you can go to the list, click on the Minis Set 4 tab, and see that Particle Beam is a 3 BP Laser Weapon that is indeed in Minis Set 4, but that is also present on the Superflash and Typhoon record sheets - so anyone with a full rules box also has a copy of that they can copy onto a Post-it note for personal use.

[If you haven't looked at the list in a while, I have also updated it with info from the PDFs of the Uncle Albert's, Minis Sets 2 and Minis Sets 4 cover sheets, and images of Minis Sets 2 and 4 from carwars.sjgames.com.]

[Note that the list is and remains meta-data only. Names, Type, Subtypes, point costs, and sources only. No game stats or card text is provided, or ever will be. Full attribution is provided as per the SJGames online policy on the first tab of the spreadsheet.]
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
HeatDeath

Default Re: Car Wars 6e Build Card List - now updated with Record Sheets info

Cool!

I just learned how to do drop-down lists in Google Sheets, and to use the selected value in a query. See the new "Individual Car (Drop Down)" tab on the build card list. You can select one of the vehicle record sheets from the dropdown and it'll list all of the cards used in it.

[I can't help but feel like madness lies at the end of this road, but it's still very scenic here near the beginning.]
Old 12-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
Overload

This was a concern I've had for a while- not having all the cards.
Hashing it out, I've come to think that you don't need all the cards. SJG could have published a book of all the cards, but instead decided to produce them like X-Wing does. Not every X-Wing player has all the ships/releases, but still plays the game and builds their fleet from what they have. The same is true with an RPG like D&D. Not everyone has all the books, so when they build a character, they do it with what books they own. CW6 is going to be the same.
In CW6 build points are the same for everyone, so even if a player doesn't have all the cards, they will still build a car from their pool of cards to the same build point total. All cards are balanced, so all builds should be roughly the same power level. It will create interesting and unique builds.
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

@Overload
I appreciate that analysis. For marketing's sake, we had to disperse the cards across mnay products...but as gamers who despise power creep and pay-to-win in any form, Randy and I really tried to enable players to build competitive cars regardless of the size of their collection. We benefited from having everything designed beforehand, so we could carefully craft the card mixes. You may be able to find more interesting cards in non-core sets, but they won't be more powerful than anything you've got — they'll just give you more variety and different play feel/styles.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:37 PM   #5
HeatDeath

My card list is now updated with Minis Sets 2 and 4, and is now complete [until new build cards are released] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 08-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #6
HeatDeath

Update:

The question came up on the CW 6e Discord: what equipment does a player have access to if they /just/ purchased a Rules Box, but not a Core set.

I've just checked my Cards Build List - it has a tab for Vehicle Record Sheets that details the equipment you have access to if you only have a Rules Box. To summarize, the record sheets give you a very healthy selection of shred weapons, a healthy selection of slug weapons, 2 ceramic plate structures and standard steel plate, a few lasers, a small and a big flamethrower, standard rockets, and a healthy selection of crew, gear, accessories, and upgrades.

It includes about half of what's in the Core set, plus a large selection of other stuff that more than makes up the shortfall. You end up with a very viable basic equipment set.

For those who are curious, I've added tabs for "What VRS adds to Core" and "What VRS includes from Core".

[I knew restructuring the list as queries from the "All" tab was gonna pay off. Building the new tabs was seconds of work instead of hours.]

Last edited by HeatDeath; 08-24-2022 at 04:09 PM.