Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
futantshadow

Default My noob questions

So I've played this twice now and my friends seem to have all kinds of different rules, I don't know if they are house rules, real rules, or expansion set rules. We were only using the first set.

1. Are players allowed to 'trade' cards, like from hand and in play with other players at any time? (or even on their turn can they initiate a trade, however they want?)

2. In the rules it says that when you have to discard for overhand, the extra cards are given (or divided between) the lowest level player(s); but if players can also 'trade' (like for nothing in return) or give their cards to other players, then the lowest level player could potentially never get any of these cards, right? (because the player with overhand could trade the extra card for nothing; assuming there is a free trade rule?)

3. Equipping and holding items/weapons. Can a player hold items and/or weapons on the table without actually equipping them? One of the players said he always played that way, and had like 7 cards on the table he actually wasn't using, while everyone else only had cards they were using (so we made him sell all those cards and he gained like 3 levels). I read in the FAQ that you can switch between equipped weapons and unused weapons that were being held outside of battles; but what exactly are the rules on this?

thanks so much!
futantshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: My noob questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by futantshadow View Post
1. Are players allowed to 'trade' cards, like from hand and in play with other players at any time? (or even on their turn can they initiate a trade, however they want?)
No, you can only trade Itens. The rules say that a card with a Golden Value (even if it says No Value) can be played to the table and then traded with other players. You only give cards from your hand to other players during the Charity phase, if you have more than 5, or if a card effect forces you to.

Quote:
2. In the rules it says that when you have to discard for overhand, the extra cards are given (or divided between) the lowest level player(s); but if players can also 'trade' (like for nothing in return) or give their cards to other players, then the lowest level player could potentially never get any of these cards, right? (because the player with overhand could trade the extra card for nothing; assuming there is a free trade rule?)
As stated above, you can't trade from your hand to avoid Charity. But you can put down Itens before Charity to avoid giving cards to other players. The downside is that Itens, when played, can't go back to your hand and are vulnerable to Curses, Thieves and also you lose the element of surprise of some cards.

Quote:
3. Equipping and holding items/weapons. Can a player hold items and/or weapons on the table without actually equipping them? One of the players said he always played that way, and had like 7 cards on the table he actually wasn't using, while everyone else only had cards they were using (so we made him sell all those cards and he gained like 3 levels). I read in the FAQ that you can switch between equipped weapons and unused weapons that were being held outside of battles; but what exactly are the rules on this?
You can carry as many small Itens as you want. If you carry (have in play) but is not using an Iten you turn it sideways. Note that only Itens can be played but not used. The player's action was, apparentely, legit, and the other players could have done the same thing. And he can sell Itens from his hand or from those in play to gain Levels, as per the rules.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Clipper

I just thought I'd add to bonetm's 3rd answer that you are normally limited to carrying only one Big Item. You are also limited to having one Steed, one Hireling and one Ship. It is true that you can carry as many Small Items as you like (a Small Item is any Item that isn't marked as Big), though.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by futantshadow View Post
So I've played this twice now and my friends seem to have all kinds of different rules, I don't know if they are house rules, real rules, or expansion set rules. We were only using the first set.

No. Only Items that are being carried may be traded: "You may trade Items (but not other cards)with other players. You may only trade Items from the table – not from your hand." -- From the rules, under Trading, a sub-section of Items.

Quote:
As you can't trade cards from your hand, that is not an issue. However, the rules state that before the end of your turn, you can play any cards you can legally play to get your hand size down first.

Quote:
"An item card in your hand does not count until you play it; at that point, it is “carried.” You may carry any number of small items, but only one Big one. (Any item not designated Big is considered Small.)" -- From the rules, the opening paragraph of the Items section

A later paragraph in the same section offers, "Anyone can carry any item, but some items have use restrictions[.]" Another, "You should indicate items that can’t help you, or extras not being worn, by turning the cards sideways." So, anyone could put down Items they can't use to avoid giving them away as Charity at the end of their turn. Also, since they must be on the table to be traded, this is the only way one could trade an Item they could not use to someone who could use it.

Also, if you ever have a question concerning the rules, and don't have your own copy, they have all been made available here.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote