Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #41
Polydamas

Default Re: Can you have something similar to poker in a TL 1 setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I thought that professional gamblers more often ran banks in games like faro, railroad, and keno than they played poker. I read that a study in 1882 reported that more money was wagered in the USA on faro than on all other games of chance combined.
Somewhat later, there is Feynman's friend in Vegas who made a living by being famous as a gambler, and getting people to make silly bets with him so they could say that they had won/lost a bet to so-and-so.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #42
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
And since the necessary mathematics is a product of the nineteenth century, with the very idea of mathematical probability being unknown before Pascal in the seventeenth, the ... algorithmic side of poker would be much less important in such a setting than it is in movies.
It's true that mathematically rigorous analysis would be far less advanced and in fact largely absent but observing the way that people play their cards in given situations * is absolutely timeless and far more important to master than memorising an array of physical tells.

* By which I mean what actions they take i.e. the combination of bet/check/fold and bet sizing.

Last edited by mr beer; 12-29-2014 at 04:38 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #43
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
It's true that mathematically rigorous analysis would be far less advanced and in fact largely absent but observing the way that people play their cards in given situations * is absolutely timeless and far more important to master than memorising an array of physical tells.

* By which I mean what actions they take i.e. the combination of bet/check/fold and bet sizing.
Yes ... I was saying that nobody in the Bronze Age could think “they have a 6.4% chance of beating my hand” because as far as we can tell nobody had the idea that you could calculate the probability of an event until much later. But they could definitely think “my hand is very strong and will probably win” or “he only raises big when he is bluffing.”

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:43 AM   #44
RGTraynor

I was in a fantasy boffer LARP for many years, and there came the point where Magic: The Gathering exploded in popularity. For a year or so, decks were frequent occurrences at our events. The howling anachronism drove some folks crazy, so they invented a Magic-like game called "Goblin Rocks," which involved playing with small painted pieces of slate scavenged from an area mountain.

While the attempt never really caught on, it strikes me that something like that would easily work in the Stone Age, let alone TL 1.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bronze age, gambling