Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
Dalin

Default Flame Jet master

What would it take to be a master of Flame Jet combat?

I was talking this over with @Yssa recently. We were thinking you would want Ambidexterity so that you could dual wield. Spell skill at 20 so you could maintain 2d for free (with an eventual goal of 25). The hard part is defense. You can't parry, so you'd want to have good mobility with a high dodge. Maybe Acrobatics?

Has anyone tried this?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Latro

Default Re: Flame Jet master

Dont forget jet skill.
Latro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
The hard part is defense. You can't parry, so you'd want to have good mobility with a high dodge.
Don't eschew the parry so quickly.

If you sneak a GURPS book into your DFRPG, Magic (p. 73) says that a "GM may allow a Flame Jet to parry another Flame Jet."

But that always made me wonder, what really happens if you try to parry a flame jet with a water jet . . .
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
If you sneak a GURPS book into your DFRPG, Magic (p. 73) says that a "GM may allow a Flame Jet to parry another Flame Jet."
No need to be sneaky. Under Jet Spells (Spells, p. 12), it says explicitly that jet spells "cannot parry or be parried by anything other than the same variety of jet." This would be pretty rare, though I'd definitely like to see two wizards dueling with flame jets.

Quote:
But that always made me wonder, what really happens if you try to parry a flame jet with a water jet . . .
I have wondered about that too. The default is probably no effect beyond a burst of steam or something. But what about attacking the other weapon directly?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Don't eschew the parry so quickly.

Carpet cleaning?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I'd allow it. We need more Blue Magic Saber wielders fighting Red Magic Saber wielders in these games...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

From p. 49 of Adventurers: "Enhanced Block, Dodge, or Parry [...] Enhanced Dodge: You have +1 per level to your Dodge score [...] Most delvers can buy just one level of each trait. Combat Reflexes (p. 48) gives +1 to all defenses for 15 points, so buy that before Enhanced Dodge."

From p. 93 of Exploits: "Attributes and Secondary Characteristics: Anyone can raise these, subject to certain limits [...] Basic Speed can't exceed its figured value +2."

So in principle, a delver of any profession can decide to be Dodge-focused on defense and take Basic Speed +2.00 [40], Combat Reflexes [15], Enhanced Dodge 1 [15], for 70 points. With a little tinkering (mainly to adjust DX 12 [40], HT 11 [10], Basic Speed 6.00 [5] to DX 13 [60], HT 11 [10], Basic Speed 6.00 [0] before starting . . . another 15 points, please), you could get a wizard with Dodge 13 this way.

Of course, a wizard would probably find it more efficient to spend those 85 points on Haste-25 [32] and Shield-30 [52], and walk around maintaining +3 to Dodge and DB 4 for free all day. On several friends, too . . .
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
ArchonShiva

Optimizing a wizard for No Mana Zones is usually considered misuse of resources.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Optimizing a wizard for No Mana Zones is usually considered misuse of resources.
/spittake

Oy, you got a loicense for that rapier wit?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
Imbicatus

Wizard has the most options, but it could be possible for a half-elf swashbuckler to be very good at using a flame jet.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flame jet, wizard