Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Dungeon Dinosaurs

Does anyone like the idea of dungeon dinosaurs? I am wishing for a DF supplement that deals with dinosaurs for use in the dungeon. My kid collects dinosaur toys from Jurassic World and they are well done and cool to see. I would love to see some of them statted up for use in the dungeon. Therazinasaurus seems like a cool dinosaur with its long claws. Hererrasaurus seems like it could stealthily attacks PCs in dark caverns. Velocaraptors could hunt PCs in packs. The Indoraptor of Jurassic world can see in the dark and is a mix of T. rex and velociraptor.

I could see some sort of Lost World concept could be cool for dungeon delving. Maybe there could be an artificail sun in a giant cavern complete with jungles filled with dinosaurs. Or the dinosaurs could have magically adapted to the darkness and now haunt mushroom forests in huge caverns. Of course there would need to be something like the sleethstacks of Land of the Lost...
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Dungeon Dinosaurs

One could always refer to GURPS Lands Out Of Time or convert from the 3rd edition GURPS Dinosaurs, both of which are full of stats for prehistoric creatures, and the former does address "Lost World" adventuring. That said, some OTT dinos written specifically for dungeon crawling would be most welcome, and a "lost vale/lost world" would be a cool setting for an adventure.

(I'm trying to remember if I statted any dinosaurs as riding animals for one of the articles I revised for the upcoming Pyramid Dungeon Collection.)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Dalin

I've been throwing dinosaurs into my DF games since my AD&D days in the World of Greyhawk where I decided the Amedio Jungle was obviously crawling with dinosaurs. And yuan-ti. And dragons. And beholders. And oh so much treasure.

These days, I usually turn to the sources mentioned by Turhan's Bey Company. Dinos are pretty easy to stat on the fly once you have a couple of base models. They don't have exotic special abilities. I play very fast and loose with realism; pterodactyls can obviously pick people up and be ridden. Duh.

I like them because they boost the threat level of natural animals and they have an added fear factor for the players.
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Kalzazz

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/5.html

I'm pretty sure that link is obligatory in discussing dinos

Lands Out of Time critters don't seem a match for delvers, we need serious dinosaurs
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Lands Out of Time critters don't seem a match for delvers, we need serious dinosaurs
Serious dinosaurs? Now I feel the need to poke someone into stating up Circus Clown Dinos...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
zuljita

Great scaly and feathered beasts roam the Endalus forest, just beyond the eastern edge of Nordlond especially as you get closer to the ruins of Rosgarth. Keep an eye out for a Kickstarter later this year: Gaming Ballistic may be publishing some of what you're looking for in an upcoming adventure . . . written by yours truly.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
David Johansen

It occurs to me that you could run a dungeon with very large rooms and halls and have the players thinking "okay we're fighting giants" but then WHAM! T-Rexes!
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
thrash

I would be more concerned about packs of turkey-sized velociraptors that can chase you out the door and into the corridors...
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:39 AM   #9
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Great scaly and feathered beasts roam the Endalus forest, just beyond the eastern edge of Nordlond especially as you get closer to the ruins of Rosgarth. Keep an eye out for a Kickstarter later this year: Gaming Ballistic may be publishing some of what you're looking for in an upcoming adventure . . . written by yours truly.
This is shaping up to be my favorite GURPS year ever.
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
Black Leviathan

We play with Lego figures. Orks and Goblins and Skeletons are easy as pie to put on a table, Bronze spiders are another matter entirely. Right now the Jurrasic Park Lego sets are on sale pretty much everywhere and they're great looking dinosaurs. I'm very tempted to stat them into the game just so I have a good-looking monster to fight.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote