Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
pgb

Default [Basic] Limited ST & HP

For a SM>0 creature, I can buy ST up from 10 with a Size limitation; but presumably if I reduce ST below 10, the disadvantage is at full cost. Is that right?

What if I want SM+2, ST8, HP13 say? I've got full cost of [-20] for the ST; then I've got HP+5, but what does that cost? A simplistic reading of the rules suggest I get all the extra HP at -20%; but logically (assuming my interpretation above is right) I should pay full price for the first 2 HP, and the discounted rate for the remaining 3. That isn't made explicit anywhere, and I don't think I've seen an example; I can understand that it doesn't arise often, but I need exactly that, and want to keep it RAW.

[Edit:] Similar question is of interest with SM>0, ST reduced, Lifting or Striking ST added.

Thanks,

Paul.

Last edited by pgb; 10-28-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Same question applies more widely
pgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
VariousRen

Default Re: [Basic] Limited ST & HP

I believe you get the discount for HP regardless of what you buy your ST down to. HP is based directly from ST, not 10 modified by ST, so the modifiers for it are completely independent of the final score of ST.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
pgb

Sorry to bump this... but I'd be very grateful for some input.

Firstly, is my basic approach to reduced ST correct? Should I ignore the limitations (based on SM and/or No Manipulators) when reducing ST? It seems a bit odd if not.

Secondly, assuming that's right, do I also ignore them when buying back up any of the "components" of ST: that is HP, Lifting ST, Striking ST? If not, it seems very open to abuse.

Thanks,

Paul.
pgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Terwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb View Post
Secondly, assuming that's right, do I also ignore them when buying back up any of the "components" of ST: that is HP, Lifting ST, Striking ST? If not, it seems very open to abuse.
Only if you allow unlimited disadvantages or do not count reduced attributes against the disadvantage cap.

Example:
100cp with a cap of -40
use all disad points for -4 ST, buy back up all components gaining 8 points.

end result: 108cp character with all disads used up

counter example:
I get 10 points worth of minor disads that reflect how I planned to play the character anyway(SOD companions, appropriate COH, Curious; all with high control numbers):
110 point character with -30 points left in Disads I can use if I want more points(or planned more personality qirks than I can represent with 10 points of disads).

Personally I find that I tend to have most of my control rolls at 15 just because there is not room in the disad budget for lower numbers if I am going to take all the disads I want the character to have.(in many games I never even tried to make one of those rolls, so a lower number would have been 'free' points)
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote