Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #161
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Lucy's Choice: Let's make Lucifer Parallels!

I would agree most, but not all. Not even all that lack superscience.
Nuclear powered Orion type missions are certainly TL 8 if not TL 7 possible.

Even if a parallel's society has the ability to travel to other planets relatively easily, it may require so much infrastructure and resource use as to make it effectively useless to Homeline or Centrum.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #162
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Lost
While playing with parachronic technology the inhabitants of this world inadvertently made a jump drive of incredible efficiency so efficient that it managed to move the entire planet. This earth is currently drifting 20 light minutes from alpha-centauri and is largely frozen. It is a tempting target for parachronic organisation's interested in extrasolar exploration, finding out what happened or getting hold of the prototype drive.
It would take longer to kill everything than one may assume. So one could have a set of parallels that jumped at different times in the past.
One a century ago where the atmosphere has precipitated out and only deep ocean vents and occasional volcanic activity allow anything to remain liquid.
One a few years ago, where it's just antarctic cold everywhere, but still some life clinging to warm spots.
One a few months ago... and so on.

Maybe one parallel disturbingly similar to the others but still in place perhaps with researchers experimenting.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 04-24-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #163
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It would take longer to kill everything than one may assume. So one could have a set of parallels that jumped at different times in the past.
One a century ago where the atmosphere has precipitated out and only deep ocean vents and occasional volcanic activity allow anything to remain liquid.
One a few years ago, where it's just antarctic cold everywhere, but still some life clinging to warm spots.
One a few months ago... and so on.

Maybe one parallel disturbingly similar to the others but still in place perhaps with researchers experimenting.
I can't find any math on how long it would take, just numbers at various points. They all seem to use the same source, were-ever it is. Vsauce talks about it. His numbers have -100 F temperatures after a single year, and winter temperatures at one week. He estimates 1 to 2 decades for the air to start turning liquid, and that should be about -300 F. Or 90 Kelvin, if you prefer.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 04-24-2017 at 03:34 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #164
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I can't find any math on how long it would take, just numbers at various points. They all seem to use the same source, were-ever it is. Vsauce talks about it. His numbers have -100 F temperatures after a single year, and winter temperatures at one week. He estimates 1 to 2 decades for the air to start turning liquid, and that should be about -300 F. Or 90 Kelvin, if you prefer.
Anyone have any numbers on when the O2 gets too low or the CO2 too high? You've shut off all the photosynthesis and running all the heaters won't help.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #165
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Anyone have any numbers on when the O2 gets too low or the CO2 too high? You've shut off all the photosynthesis and running all the heaters won't help.
If you go by the numbers on the link I posted, an order of thousands of years: we have lots and lots of excess oxygen.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #166
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Added the link. here is is for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltpH6ck2Kc

Old 04-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #167
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I would agree most, but not all. Not even all that lack superscience.
Nuclear powered Orion type missions are certainly TL 8 if not TL 7 possible.

Even if a parallel's society has the ability to travel to other planets relatively easily, it may require so much infrastructure and resource use as to make it effectively useless to Homeline or Centrum.
Looking through the official lists, their are a couple of good possibilities:

Lucifer-5 has colonies around the solar system, which means you see large amounts of goods flow without too much security. Its also TL6, which means you maintain a solid Tech advantage in spy-craft. Additionally, outtime activity on this world is established to be pretty active in the first place.

Pele-3 has perhaps more accessibly technology, and electronics will raise fewer eyebrows: but its high tech and considered to be a minor parachronic threat without infinity intervention.

An uninhabited world were you can play around in space without worrying about other people is really nice when you compare it with those two, where things are possible but tricky. Though now that I think about it, Pele-4 does match that description... if the aliens don't show up.

And yes, you can always just leverage classic rocket tech, including orions, on unihabited worlds. I'm now imagining a world earmarked for "environmentally irresponsible atomic industry".

Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #168
PTTG

It has 10 times Homeline's normal background concentration of uranium and other radioactives. It's a smother, but if you're bringing everything you need for spaceflight anyway...
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #169
fchase8

Quote:
Yeah, it would just so expensive.

And for what return? We can already launch satellites on Homeline (and not need to parachronically move them). Infinite worlds means no need for resources from space, and likely dimmed interest in space exploration. Centrum doesn't have much of a space program on its own timeline.

The only purpose, other than pure science, would be as a weapon against off-world threats. But Centrum doesn't have much of a space program, the crosstime Nazis of Reich-5 aren't connected to their world's (admittedly advanced) space program, and science isn't gonna defeat the Cabal.
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #170
PTTG

I suppose the big advantage is that if nobody else makes use of space on a parachronic level, it's a good place to hang out. If Centrum ever manages to nuke Homeline, having orbital stations would allow you to keep the parachronic high ground.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure seeds, infinite worlds