Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Sescheraun

Default Character idea, seeking thoughts and advice

Ok, i am looking to build a character that has glands that let them make any biochemical liquid that they understand. The glands are attached to a set of quills like a porcupine that can be thrown and are being built as an innate attack.

I am trying to decide it I want to use a flexible version of Affliction with a Modular Ability that can only be used with the quills or with Create.

Any thoughts or things i might not be thinking of? Been a long time since I played or ran Gurps.
Sescheraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: Character idea, seeking thoughts and advice

Well, if the GM allows it then Variable Enhancement (pu4:5) on an affliction would likely work well.

If not, then a modular ability that can contain afflictions would likely be an alternative.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:16 AM   #3
Doormatthew

That seems like a much better option than Create, especially since most biochemical substances are effective in small amounts and the point of Create is creating large amounts of your chosen substance, rather than enough to coat a single quill.

I'm not sure how to create the limitation that the character must understand the substance they are creating. I suppose you could require a roll against the appropriate skill (Poisons, for example), but considering that requiring an attribute roll is only worth -5% to -10%, and having a high attribute is much more difficult than a high skill, this probably wouldn't be worth very much.

As an alternative, GURPS Powers has rules for giving your advantages Minor Benefits and Drawbacks. Rather than purchasing a specific limitation, you could just find some equally minor benefit as a trade-off.
Doormatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #4
weby

The "They understand" is likely "Requires skill roll:Chemistry -10%"(pu8:17) at most or just a minor limitation as said above.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Sescheraun

Awesome.

I am actually the GM and doing this as an exercise to refresh my memories of the system before I run a game in a few months. I have a few new ideas from this discussion already and want to thank everyone for the input. I think I will work a few things out and then post the power here to see what other players and GMs think.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
kdtipa

I'm not as familiar with the Powers rules as some people seem to be in this post, but I feel like the part about needing to know the substance could be better represented. How effective would these different substances be? Are we talking about poisons basically?

I think if I was GMing this intended power, it would be an Innate Attack for the quill, and then for each substance the character learns, it would be a different Follow Up. I might price the follow ups a little lower to represent that they can't be used on the same attack, but that way one follow up could be deadly poison, while the next one is a sleep poison, or radioactive substance that makes them easier to track or whatever. But that way for each beneficial thing the character can do, they're paying points for it.

I really dislike the idea that a character could with a skill roll suddenly have a drastically different ability. Learning a new substance means spending points to me.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
I really dislike the idea that a character could with a skill roll suddenly have a drastically different ability. Learning a new substance means spending points to me.
Note that the point of both Variable Enhancement(*10 for the enchantment part) and Modular abilities(typically *3 or *4 the base cost) is that you pay a lot more points up front but gain flexibility in return.

Alternate way to represent such a thing would be with alternate abilities where you pay full cost for first and then 1/5th for following. Up to about 10-15 such the alternate abilities would be cheaper in points than the modular ability as example. So you could get all really needed ones for a lot less than the modular ability, but it does not fit the character concept as well.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #8
jason taylor

That sounds like something that could be used for mating rituals as well as defense. It can make a perfume.

If they are sophant, and are interested in trade they can also develop an industry catering to the silly vanities of humans by selling their Innate Perfume.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
kdtipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Note that the point of both Variable Enhancement(*10 for the enchantment part) and Modular abilities(typically *3 or *4 the base cost) is that you pay a lot more points up front but gain flexibility in return.

Alternate way to represent such a thing would be with alternate abilities where you pay full cost for first and then 1/5th for following. Up to about 10-15 such the alternate abilities would be cheaper in points than the modular ability as example. So you could get all really needed ones for a lot less than the modular ability, but it does not fit the character concept as well.
But it's still a flat amount that might give a a very large number of possible abilities. I still like it better if the character has to pay for each thing they learn how to make. It keeps a list of things they know, and they just pay the points for what they know. They can say "I'm going to research how to make a poison that knocks the person out" or "I'm going to research a substance that makes people lose control of their temper" and then they just know that.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
Sescheraun

I think the alternate abilities works pretty well actually. if I remove the need for a skill roll and use that to determine what she knows then I can simplify it and make it more balanced possibly. maybe add a modifier to make her her able to produce a limited amount of permanent material and she can be the party's bar tender.