Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
GodBeastX

Default Why does Bastard Sword have a U in parry in 1 hand?

I'm trying to understand the U in the parry for Bastard Sword. U being unbalanced, but broadsword skill specifically saying it's for balanced weapons. Atop that, I'm trying to figure out what's unbalanced about a Bastard Sword? If it's a matter of it's weight, wouldn't high enough ST then make that U vanish? I noticed Longsword didn't have the same issue.

Is this another "Shortsword vs Long Knife" situation where it was made U, but to correct it "Longsword" was added?
Old 08-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Why does Bastard Sword have a U in parry in 1 hand?

B271 lists OU for both the Bastard Sword and the Thrusting Bastard Sword when used with "Broadsword", but but B274 lists them as Parry 0 when used with the Two-Handed Sword skill.

So basically it's a 2-handed sword (balanced when you use 2 hands) but becomes unbalanced when you wield it using the inappropriate Broadsword skill intended for 1H swords.

The 1H "broad" use also has a highter ST requirement and less damage.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
Sorenant

Bastard Sword is longer than Longsword (1,2/2 vs 1/1,2) and as I understand it's a primary two-handed weapon that can be used with one hand in a pinch, unlike Longsword that is meant to be more versatile.
It's part of a gradient: Broadsword > Longsword> Bastard Sword > Greatsword.

As for its utility, when used two-handed it has similar damage as that of a Greatsword but it's cheaper, lighter and requires less ST to use. The lesser damage is also made up by being much easier to use one-handed than a greatsword, which is useful in some situations (eg one arm is crippled or used on horseback).

Regardings U notation, that's something that bothers me too. It's there to represent unwildly weapons but there's also ‡ notation that overlaps with it. Besides, as you said ‡ can be overcame with high ST but not U. So if Superman were to use an U weapon he would have difficulty moving from attack to defense using this weapon, which feels weird.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Maybe there wouldn;'t have been a problem if the Sword had not come from a broken home ...

(Obligatory "Bastard Sword" Joke delivered ... now hiding ...)
Old 08-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
Bruno

U not being impacted by ST is usually explained by a difference in the grip used to attack vs the grip used to defend, but that's not applicable in the case of one-handed swords.

That makes its use here on the Bastard Sword even more odd.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
DanHoward

IIRC it is an artefact from the original version of GURPS. Low-Tech created the Longsword listing to present a more realistic version of this type of weapon.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:04 AM   #7
smurf
Banned

IIRC if you have +5 ST over Min then it is no longer a U.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #8
Tomsdad

The bastard sword having U doesn't bother me too much, yeah you can use it one handed but it's a compromise to do so, it shines more with two hands. The long sword is a better compromise between one and two handed styles when it comes to one handed balance between attack/defence, but trades off elsewhere*.

With the caveat that historically some adjectives in front of the word sword were indicative of a range of things not deterministic listing in a RPG, and all exist on a continuum of "sword". I'd say the bastard sword is an earlier weapon than the long sword but certainly one that overlaps.

Game wise weather that justifies giving the bastard sword 'U' is I think as much a point about their only being so much granularity in the relevant stats and U or not is a binary choice.

You want to add a point or two to one handed MinST to show the added awkwardness of using it balanced and one handed that would work too!

Even better you want to make the parry stance -1 or even -2 in the same turn you made a Sw attack in, go for it. (or just make the parry stat -1 in general)

Choose the game effect you feel is most appropriate for your sense of verisimilitude I guess

*I don't have my stuff with me but IIRC the LT bastard sword does slightly More Sw damage, and is sightly heavier and as mentioned the reach range differs. That to me sounds like an intermediate sword like the Long-sword but that is slightly more aimed at giving a heavier swing. So yeah OK harder to go back and forth with.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 08-19-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:34 AM   #9
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
IIRC if you have +5 ST over Min then it is no longer a U.
Not by RAW as far as I'm aware?

Worth noting that a +5ST would allow you to use defensive attacks, keep your parry and still do as much or more more damage someone without the +5 ST (IIRC)
Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 AM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Not by RAW as far as I'm aware?
I was just about to ask where he got that idea from, because, no it's not RAW.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote