Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #21
Plane

Default Re: Why does Bastard Sword have a U in parry in 1 hand?

If you want non-unbalanced one-handed Bastard Sword attacks, MA100's "opt to parry with the same weapon, at no bonus, despite using it to attack" for Defensive Attack would be a solution. You might want to design some kind of technique to buy damage bonuses to offset the inherent penalty. Pretty much how axe-users have to play it, if they don't have a 2nd weapon or a shield to rely on.

B269:
cannot use it to parry if you have already used it to attack this turn (or vice versa).
The "vice versa" is something I'm having trouble grasping though: the reverse of the non-parenthesized would be:
cannot use it to attack if you have already used it to parry this turn
In what situations would you be parrying earlier in your turn than attacking? The only situation I can think of would be if you took a "Wait" maneuver, because otherwise any parries preceding your attack would take place during the previous turn.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #22
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I was just about to ask where he got that idea from, because, no it's not RAW.
Not in 4e but it was in 3e.

The "U" meant something different though and applied to the whole weapon and not just its' Parry. "Parry 0U" isn't explained very well in 4e while in 3e the "U" for Unbalanced was clear and well-integrated into the system.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #23
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
In what situations would you be parrying earlier in your turn than attacking? The only situation I can think of would be if you took a "Wait" maneuver, because otherwise any parries preceding your attack would take place during the previous turn.
Wait is the obvious case. Another would be if an action you take on your turn before attacking (say, running up into melee range as part of a move-and-attack) triggers someone else's wait-and-attack, and you choose to parry it. Edge cases, certainly.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #24
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
"Parry 0U" isn't explained very well in 4e
Isn't it? "A number... indicates the bonus or penalty to your Parry defense when using that weapon." "'U' means... you cannot use it to parry if you have already used it to attack this turn (or vice versa)."

Seems pretty clear. "Parry 0U" means you can parry with the weapon at no modifier, but only if you haven't attacked this turn.

What's not explained well is that a bastard sword used with normal Strength one-handed uses Broadsword skill and has Parry 0U, ST 11, and the same bastard sword used with normal Strength two-handed uses Two-Handed Sword skill and has Parry 0, ST 10†.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Isn't it? "A number... indicates the bonus or penalty to your Parry defense when using that weapon." "'U' means... you cannot use it to parry if you have already used it to attack this turn (or vice versa)."

Seems pretty clear. "Parry 0U" means you can parry with the weapon at no modifier, but only if you haven't attacked this turn.

That's a "What" and not a "Why". If we understood _Why_ you can't Parry with such a weapon after you've attacked with it we might understand what effects of magic, craftsmanship or exotic training might modify the status.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
U being unbalanced, but broadsword skill specifically saying it's for balanced weapons.
I think you're reading too much into "balanced" just because a blade has a balance point doesn't mean it can't become unbalanced when swung. The reason a bastard sword becomes unbalanced when used to parry is that it 4lbs of it is beyond your fingertips and the telegraph of that much steel makes it possible to swing around for another attack but not if you're going to stop midway through to parry an incoming attack. A blade with that much length and weight needs to maintain momentum to be pressed into another attack.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #27
Tomsdad

FWIW the description in LT for Longsword has "a light thrusting bastard sword"

Last edited by Tomsdad; 08-19-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #28
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post

What's not explained well is that a bastard sword used with normal Strength one-handed uses Broadsword skill and has Parry 0U, ST 11, and the same bastard sword used with normal Strength two-handed uses Two-Handed Sword skill and has Parry 0, ST 10†.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That's a "What" and not a "Why". If we understood _Why_ you can't Parry with such a weapon after you've attacked with it we might understand what effects of magic, craftsmanship or exotic training might modify the status.

Honestly I think it's just a case of the weapon being easier to control two handed than one handed, and by enough to meet the system threadhold* for getting the U parry. The weapon is not inherently unbalanced (in GURPS terms) which why in two hands it doesn't get the U. It's only trying to wield one handed that makes it so.

*as decided by the writers and playtesters
Old 08-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #29
smurf
Banned

B269

U: Unbalanced, cannot be used to parry if attacked

B270

†: Means weapon requires 2 hands but it can be used 1 handed if the min ST is x 1.5 but it also becomes 'U'. At min ST x 2 then the weapon is balanced.

‡: 2handed, unready after an attack, min ST x 1.5 the weapon is balanced, min ST x 3 the weapon can be used balanced in one hand.

B271
† Bastard Sword uses Broad Sword:

ST11 0U

Ergo
ST22 it is a balanced weapon

B274
‡ Bastard Sword uses Two Handed Sword
ST10 0U

Ergo
ST15 is a balanced weapon

May be used one handed, balanced with ST30

I think that is RAW?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #30
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Honestly I think it's just a case of the weapon being easier to control two handed than one handed, and by enough to meet the system threadhold* for getting the U parry.

*as decided by the writers and playtesters
Writers but not playtesters in my experience. Maybe just the line editor. I was a playtester for pretty much everything after 4e Basic and I have no feel for 0U.