Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
Biscuri

Default How to attach a weapon Innate Attack into a vehicle

Here I am again with complicated character concepts my players create. This time, it's a cyborg, capable of attaching weapons (crafted and customized by himself) into any vehicle on the go.

These weapons are used as Innate Attacks, like a laser gun, or high tech assault rifle. He can use them by himself like normal guns, but when riding any vehicle, a car, a motorcycle, an aircraft, a paddleboat, whatever, he can attach these weapons on the vehicle to use them as he drives, like tanks weapons or something like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Biscuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: How to attach a weapon Innate Attack into a vehicle

I thought maybe Affliction (Advantage: Innate Attack) but I'm not sure how to design an Affliction which can't be re-used until it's prior use expires, or the need to retrieve the shot from the previous target before re-shooting it.

Wouldn't this basically just be like designing Innate Attack as a Gadget? Except that would normally need a consciousness to use it...

If the difference is between 'mount the weapon on myself and it shoots' vs 'mount the weapon on my vehicle and it shoots' then to be able to use the vehicle to operate stuff attached to the vehicle seems like it would be like you were merging with the vehicle.

Unless: maybe you never had any need to touch your weapons and operate them via TK or telepathy?

Vaguely remember something from one of the Gundam animes where the armor had these little pods floating around him that shot lasers which were never directly attached to him. I'm not sure how to do that except to design your guns as allies (you can build weapons as characters) and then give them instructions on what to do.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
Refplace

Is he the only one that can use them? Adding the Indirect modifier so they dont come from hiim could work.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Adding the Indirect modifier so they dont come from hiim could work.
Do you recall where to find that? Closest I can remember is B107's "Overhead" enhancement, B178's Artillery skill, or P104's "swoops around" or "originates behind" (Surprise Attack) variants of Overhead.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Do you recall where to find that? Closest I can remember is B107's "Overhead" enhancement, B178's Artillery skill, or P104's "swoops around" or "originates behind" (Surprise Attack) variants of Overhead.
I just checked several books and dont see it.Maybe it was an option presentd elsewhere like a houserule.
Overhead though is what it was based on and I would simply use that. +30% is cheaper than Affects Others. You can give the attacks that enhancement and they always come from a weapon, whether personally carried or mounted on a vehicle.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-25-2020, 11:18 PM   #6
Plane

"originates behind" freaks me out, would that basically allow you to ignore people's cover?
Old 01-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
Biscuri

Overhead simply says that the attack does not make a straight line between you and the target, and since we're are talking about weapons the character is holding and shooting, therefore coming in a straight line, I can't see how Overhead would apply to this. It would if the weapons were controlled by telepathy or something, but it's not the case. I didn't find that Indirect modifier on the books either.

I thought of Can Be Stolen and Access (Only when holding the weapons) to represent it as a weapon, and somehow using the gadget characteristic to represent that the weapon can be attached to vehicles. But I have no idea how to price this.
Biscuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuri View Post
Overhead simply says that the attack does not make a straight line between you and the target, and since we're are talking about weapons the character is holding and shooting, therefore coming in a straight line, I can't see how Overhead would apply to this. It would if the weapons were controlled by telepathy or something, but it's not the case. I didn't find that Indirect modifier on the books either.
The attack originates from a point other than the character in both cases.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
coronatiger

What's wrong with demanding a skill roll, perhaps Armoury, to attach a weapon to a vehicle, and a regular attack roll to fire it? You could inflict a penalty for haste while mounting the weapon if the cyborg is fast. No Powers necessary.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
No Powers necessary.
Unless, as in this case, the cyborg's built-in weapons are already built as powers. The question is about taking off the cyborg's laser arm (or whatever) and mounting that on a vehicle instead of his body.

But even as Advantage-based abilities, there's nothing with adding some required skill rolls to carry out the operations. Just throw in "Requires (Attr) Roll" and pick the skill.

(Did anyone mention Independent Body Parts yet? Powers 52. Might fit the details of the concept, or it might not. That laser arm, for instance, is a "probably not the concept", since the OP talks about driving after the weapon is detached. IBP largely assumed that "body parts" are standard GURPS hit locations, not extra bits of stuff attached that might as well be gear.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indirect