Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Thorsz is coming

But he has to wait until after then undeadening.

https://thefantasytrip.game/news/202...status-report/

URL updated

Last edited by hcobb; 01-23-2020 at 07:30 AM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:37 AM   #2
Brazen Hussey

Default Re: Thorsz is coming

Thanks for the link hcobb! I'm looking forward to the Bestiary books - those should be useful. And I always enjoy the Hexagrams.
Brazen Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:23 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Cover added.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
larsdangly

This is an incredible lineup! Really inspiring range of materials. I suppose the Beastiaries, Thorz's stomping grounds and Book of Unlife have to look like the high points because they are big and new (and I've seen the 'beta' of TBoU and so know it is excellent). But everything sounds amazing.

It looks like 2020 will be a bit of a 'pivot' from the last year or so, when the weight of published materials was more firmly centered on physical materials used in play at the table (mats, MH tiles, counters, cards). That is very sensible, as our stock of those materials is getting quite solid. That said, I suspect you'll eventually circle back to fill in gaps, such as cards for humanoid types not yet covered, some sort of product that acts like the MH tiles but is for exterior spaces or buildings, encounter cards for dungeons (along the lines of those we have for outdoor encounters); perhaps something analogous to the random dungeon 6 sided cards, but for exterior spaces. Maybe you can thing of other things.

The only printed book I can think of that you haven't pursued would be a big, meaty spell book.

A book on demons analogous to TBoU would be welcome!

Thank you for not going down the route of pumping out a massive number of talents and other PC 'grade inflation' - that sort of thing is at the root of most games' decline into munchkinism and over complexity.

Anyway, you are doing an amazing job!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
TrollishMcTroll

I am very excited about this. I love the system and hope to see it get continued support!
TrollishMcTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
old_bear

I am really looking forward to these new releases! When I played TFT "back in the day" the solo adventures were always fun, but I always wanted resource books such as play settings and bestiaries. So glad to see these will be coming out!
old_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
hcobb

What I want is the book of bindings and possessions, but I may need to write that myself.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #8
ParadoxGames

They all look exciting, but the Thorsz book... YES!
Old 01-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #9
larsdangly

Agreed. When I imagine Thorsz city, I picture the look and feel of the 1st edition of the classic T&T module, City of Terror. I think it is because the best writing for TFT shares the loose, creative, funny approach that characterizes a lot of the early T&T books. I guess there isn't much to be done about it now because Steve says the manuscript arrived in close to final form, but until I see it I'll be hoping this is what is like!

But there is one thing TFT desperately needs and no one seems to be preparing to publish: it's own iconic megadungeon. Every fantasy game that has one (or more) benefits from it enormously, as megadungeons provide an insurmountable goal and a shared experience, and there is a quality of mystery not found in 'normal', short-format dungeons. It is the difference between staring down into the bottom of a swimming pool vs. staring down into a bottomless pit. The absence is particularly felt in TFT because it is so finely engineered for playing in dungeons. Of course you can play the game in any setting you fancy, but dungeons are clearly at the center of the focus. I have my own house megadungeon for TFT, but someone should really get something truly grandiose into print.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
But there is one thing TFT desperately needs and no one seems to be preparing to publish: it's own iconic megadungeon.
Clearly, it should be Octopus Castle.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote