Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #11
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Ogre Battlefields Price Increase In 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
Phil,

How long do we have to do our surveys for ogre set 3?
Surveys close February 17.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #12
fierman

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Ogre Miniatures Set 3 preorders are now open:

https://ogreminis3.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

If you are in Canada, the UK, or the EU, now is your chance to order several Ogre releases (including Battlefields) and save on shipping. The BackerKit preorders will be shipped with the Indiegogo rewards, meaning that the items will be shipped to fulfillment partners in Canada and the UK and mailed out from those locations.
Thanks for the update. Shipping to EU is still not really cheaper though. 80us$ instead of 90$. Is this a mistake perhaps? Base shipping fee shows as $17, and then it adds another $60.

This sure makes gaming a hobby too expensive to continue.
fierman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #13
Darryll
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierman View Post
Thanks for the update. Shipping to EU is still not really cheaper though. 80us$ instead of 90$. Is this a mistake perhaps? Base shipping fee shows as $17, and then it adds another $60.

This sure makes gaming a hobby too expensive to continue.
Hey there! As you might not be aware, Ogre Battlefields is around ~11lbs in weight! Sadly, FedEx doesn't want to send this to the EU for free, and so we have to pay to send it across the water, and also for our friends in the EU to deliver to you.

I went back and re-visted the numbers for the pre-order folks. All pre-orders have a "setup" fee. This setup fee only just covers a 1lbs item being sent from the US to the EU, and also mailed to you. Once we add on another 11-13lbs of product and protective packaging, the price goes up. Sadly a 12lbs box just is not cheap to ship across the world, but we do everything we can to make it easier.

Feel free to pop by again and check to see if the prices have gone down a smidge.

Thank you for your patience and understanding! I know it's frustrating, I have to deal with it every day, and I just want to get you some games!

Project Manager
SJ Games
Darryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #14
Mack_JB

I've noted this before, I bought a book from the U.K. recently. The book was $60, shipping was an additional $33. It's a modern fact of life that things cost way too much to ship overseas, but until SJG launches their own space plane to deliver stuff, it's what must be done.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #15
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I've noted this before, I bought a book from the U.K. recently. The book was $60, shipping was an additional $33. It's a modern fact of life that things cost way too much to ship overseas, but until SJG launches their own space plane to deliver stuff, it's what must be done.
I've suggested launching Darryll into space many times, but they never listen.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:04 AM   #16
Bubbagsj

Quote:
Ogre Miniatures Set 3 preorders are now open:

https://ogreminis3.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

If you are in Canada, the UK, or the EU, now is your chance to order several Ogre releases (including Battlefields) and save on shipping. The BackerKit preorders will be shipped with the Indiegogo rewards, meaning that the items will be shipped to fulfillment partners in Canada and the UK and mailed out from those locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryll View Post
Hey there! As you might not be aware, Ogre Battlefields is around ~11lbs in weight! Sadly, FedEx doesn't want to send this to the EU for free, and so we have to pay to send it across the water, and also for our friends in the EU to deliver to you.

I went back and re-visted the numbers for the pre-order folks. All pre-orders have a "setup" fee. This setup fee only just covers a 1lbs item being sent from the US to the EU, and also mailed to you. Once we add on another 11-13lbs of product and protective packaging, the price goes up. Sadly a 12lbs box just is not cheap to ship across the world, but we do everything we can to make it easier.
I have no "dog in the fight" so to speak because I live in the US, but these two comments sound like two different shipping methods. Mr. Reed's sounds as if all UK preorders would be put together and shipped in say a container together across the pond and then shipped domestically to the individuals resulting in a cheaper delivery fee. The second comment just sounds like standard individual package shipping from US to UK. Which most would assume would be much more expensive. This is, I think what the individual who posted before was trying to convey.
Bubbagsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:15 AM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagsj View Post
I have no "dog in the fight" so to speak because I live in the US, but these two comments sound like two different shipping methods. Mr. Reed's sounds as if all UK preorders would be put together and shipped in say a container together across the pond and then shipped domestically to the individuals resulting in a cheaper delivery fee. The second comment just sounds like standard individual package shipping from US to UK. Which most would assume would be much more expensive. This is, I think what the individual who posted before was trying to convey.
They are the same. The shipments are packed in the US, loaded onto pallets, and then shipped to fulfillment partners around the world. We pay to:

* Pick and pack the content.
* Ship the packages from Austin to elsewhere on the planet.
* For the fulfillment partner to properly label the packages for delivery in the appropriate region.
* For the package to be shipped from our partner to the final destination.

We cannot stress enough how expensive it is getting to ship things to other nations. Even to Canada.

Also, none of this even takes into account the customs charges we pay when we use the above process.

For Warehouse 23 orders, the process comes down to:

* Ship the content to the final destination.

Also, one last note, the items are not shipped to the UK In their own container. There is not enough demand to justify sending a container to the UK. If there was, then we would send the content directly from our partner in China to the UK fulfillment company.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #18
RogerBW

Quote:
They are the same. The shipments are packed in the US, loaded onto pallets, and then shipped to fulfillment partners around the world. We pay to:

* Ship the packages from Austin to elsewhere on the planet.
* For the fulfillment partner to properly label the packages for delivery in the appropriate region.
* For the package to be shipped from our partner to the final destination.

We cannot stress enough how expensive it is getting to ship things to other nations. Even to Canada.

Also, none of this even takes into account the customs charges we pay when we use the above process.
(Phil knows this, but it may be of interest to other people.)

One key difference for UK customers is that, when the customs clearance is handled wholesale (i.e. not by the individual consumer's package), there's no "collection fee" – which pushes tje cost of the individual package to the end user up by about $15-$20. That difference in cost is often enough to pay for the UK-based shipping after a consignment is broken down by the shipping partner. Clearly, in the case of SJGames, there aren't always enough orders to the UK to justify even that level of extra work.

I have acted as an informal broker for bulk orders from other companies - no tax evasion, just one retail customer paying the collection fee for everyone's packages (one fee per box rather than one per game) and then shipping them out domestically. Even that makes for a significant cost saving versus direct importation, though clearly it'll still be more expensive than any retailer (with access to wholesale customs clearance) would offer. It's not hard to do and I suggest that it might be a sensible thing for someone here to organise for the next project that isn't going into retail.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:11 AM   #19
Bubbagsj

Quote:
Also, one last note, the items are not shipped to the UK In their own container. There is not enough demand to justify sending a container to the UK. If there was, then we would send the content directly from our partner in China to the UK fulfillment company.
Ok you UK fans it’s time to step it up some! 😀
Bubbagsj is offline   Reply With Quote